Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 05:38 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Agreed. Ex-convicts who are released should be given a second chance. If we assume they'll reoffend, it makes them far more likely to do so. Obviously, Americans have a serious problem: little trust in the prison system and a love for putting people in it.

Obviously, someone fresh out of prison is 'starting over,' meaning that first job out isn't going to be luxurious (for most of them) but prison is meant to correct bad behavior and it's my belief that upon release, they have earned some of our trust back; the rest they'll earn by being honest people from that point on.

I think long prison sentences are cruel and inhumane, and I actually agree are worse than death which is why I think both should be illegal, but under the current system I support a prisoner's right to euthanize themselves should they choose that path. But I think a better solution would be to adopt the Scandinavian sentencing policy. Adopt a max sentence possible (~20 years) but for more serious crimes (murder, rape, etc) time can be added at the end of the sentence if they are still deemed unfit to reenter society. This works as an incentive. A murder who is in for life isn't going to be motivated to stop murdering. If they at least have the chance, many will put the effort in.

However, I feel the rehabilitation evaluation at the end of the sentence should be done without court authority. Prison officials and psychologists (experts, if you will) are the only people who can make that decision. Lawyers and judges should not be involved at that point.

I also think (if life sentences are to continue) that it should be illegal to prohibit the right to request parole. They should at least have the chance to get it, even if upon evaluation, they decide not to give it.
No, they have not earned any trust back by being in prison. That is absurd and irrational. Murderers should not be given a second chance. Nor should they be rehabilitated. Or reformed. They need to be exterminated. And forgotten. Their lives have no value, and they have surrendered their humanity by taking the life of another. Especially those who commit murder while engaging in robbery or rape or any other number of circumstances. Capital punishment is the logical and humane choice. Humane for the innocent who should no longer have to fear the actions of the monster.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:46 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
My Way News - Governor: 2 inmates must have taken days to pull off escape

If these 2 had been properly killed using legitimate principles of vengeance, they would not be out and about ready to kill again. Again, capital punishment must continue so that monsters like these cannot repeat offend.
They could have escaped before they went to trial, so should we just kill people when they are arrested to avoid the possibility that they will escape? It's very rare for someone doing a life sentence to escape, most prisons keep them in a very secure facility and watch them closely- this was a failure of the prison system. And for them to have power tools, that's absolutely insane. Prisons who check tools out to inmates check and double check to see that they are returned at the end of their work day. If they go missing the entire facility is locked down until they are located.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They could have escaped before they went to trial, so should we just kill people when they are arrested to avoid the possibility that they will escape? It's very rare for someone doing a life sentence to escape, most prisons keep them in a very secure facility and watch them closely- this was a failure of the prison system. And for them to have power tools, that's absolutely insane. Prisons who check tools out to inmates check and double check to see that they are returned at the end of their work day. If they go missing the entire facility is locked down until they are located.
Very rare. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Buried underground. GOOD ENOUGH!

Old 06-08-2015, 08:01 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News - CNN.com

Another reason to keep capital punishment look at these 2 killers on the street I bet they kill again next few days. This is why we need to lower the appeals process to 2 years.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News - CNN.com

Another reason to keep capital punishment look at these 2 killers on the street I bet they kill again next few days. This is why we need to lower the appeals process to 2 years.
And if they escape before they go to trial, you would suggest we quit giving people trials?

Old 06-08-2015, 09:20 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I like how Kentucky does the death penalty. It's on the books but rarely used. It's mainly a way to get people to plead guilty and get life without parole

Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
No, they have not earned any trust back by being in prison. That is absurd and irrational. Murderers should not be given a second chance. Nor should they be rehabilitated. Or reformed. They need to be exterminated. And forgotten. Their lives have no value, and they have surrendered their humanity by taking the life of another. Especially those who commit murder while engaging in robbery or rape or any other number of circumstances. Capital punishment is the logical and humane choice. Humane for the innocent who should no longer have to fear the actions of the monster.
I don't necessarily think that's true of ever single convicted murderer. Some are crimes of passion, which should not be mistaken for being a sociopath.

I was also addressing the concept of parole in general, not just killers. You're probably unaware of this, but the majority of people in prison are in for non-violent offenses, and the recidivism is bumped up due to minor parole violations that carry strict punishments.

Quote:
Very rare. NOT GOOD ENOUGH! Buried underground. GOOD ENOUGH!
Not that I'm shocked, but you didn't address his actual question: what about when people escape before trail, which can happen? How do you dole out your 19th century cow boy justice then?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:07 AM

244 posts, read 168,783 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Limit the appeals to a time frame of 3 years. If you can’t prove your caseby then... off to the chair you go. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]I use to 100% against the death penalty based on the grounds that its wasn’tour place to send another person to death, however after living life a littlelonger and seeing some truly evil and predatory people out there I changed mytone on that. Why make someone who is been proving guilty of a horrendousmurder sit for 20 years thinking that they can reform themselves then all of asudden " it’s time for your last meal" if anything I’d call thatcruel. Also if used more swiftly Ibelieve it would deter a lot of crime. Nobody is going want to murder a store clerk over 100$ when they knowwithout a doubt in 3 years the lights will go out on them… it simply wouldn’t beworth it. As it stands now you aren’t riskingvery much you could possibly get out on parole in 5 years for such crimes onlyto continue your predatory was among the sheep.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,605,677 times
Yet another escape for two convicted murders despite assurances from anti-death penalty advocates that it never happens.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:18 AM

My Way News - Missouri man executed for deaths of girlfriend, her daughter

The world is a better place today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates