Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 04:08 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times

Advertisements

Just what we need to burnish Arizona's reputation.

Arizona follows a model that lets the government ignore questions of cruelty
Arizona’s pause in executions may be nearing an end — not because someone has produced a cruelty-free method of killing a person, but because the state is following the blueprint pioneered by the Trump administration when it pushed through 13 federal executions in its final months.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/15/o...y-arizona.html

Old 04-26-2021, 11:07 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Ironic in a way, a firing squad kills you in an instant but it seems we can't use that. The drugs that states use for executing criminals seem unable to do the job quickly, but a thousand drug addicts per week die quickly from fentanyl. Further, there are ten states and DC that allow physician assistance in dying with a cocktail of drugs that puts terminal patients to sleep in short order. But somehow the states can't seem to use these lethal drugs. What am I missing here.

I'm not nuts for capital punishment as some innocent men have gone to their death, but in open and shut cases where there is no doubt then I'm not opposed to it. Cases like where a man rapes and murders his victims, especially children, then I'd buy the damned gun and be a one man firing squad. Not kidding.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:46 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
We should bring back public hangings.

Old 04-26-2021, 03:12 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
What? And ignore the opinion of a 30 year old NYT's opinion writer? Think of all these people who might be cruelly punished: https://corrections.az.gov/public-resources/death-row

Old 04-26-2021, 05:40 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ironic in a way, a firing squad kills you in an instant but it seems we can't use that. The drugs that states use for executing criminals seem unable to do the job quickly, but a thousand drug addicts per week die quickly from fentanyl. Further, there are ten states and DC that allow physician assistance in dying with a cocktail of drugs that puts terminal patients to sleep in short order. But somehow the states can't seem to use these lethal drugs. What am I missing here.
Pets are euthanized every day, I would expect the same medication to work on humans.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:56 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
I'm personally not opposed to capital punishment, but I don't see that it serves any real purpose. I do not believe it's a crime deterrent, it does not save taxpayers any money, and I don't see it being any more harsh a punishment than sitting in a cell for the rest of one's life. In fact, here's a direct quote from a former warden of the Supermax prison in Florence, CO:
As soon as they come through the door ... you see it in their faces. That's when it really hits you. You're looking at the beauty of the Rocky Mountains in the backdrop. When you get inside, that is the last time you will ever see it. The Supermax is life after death. It's long term. In my opinion, it's far much worse than death.
https://www.corrections1.com/escapes...H6vQbd0EN0mSd/

Old 04-26-2021, 07:13 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Better yet, bring back the type of executions where the murderer feels the same excruciating pain which he put his victim(s) through. In all cases, the punishment should fit the crime. For shooting somebody in cold blood: death by firing squad. Arsonists should be burned, rapists should be castrated, etc.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:25 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Firing squads work just fine around the world. But here, we have many like the OP who think the state killing child rapists looks bad for our reputation.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:32 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Oh? Why should we do that?

Old 04-27-2021, 10:12 AM

962 posts, read 469,360 times
Because this is where we're at:

Quote:
"Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metonymic phrase referring to superficial appeasement. It is attributed to Juvenal, a Roman poet active in the late first and early second century CE — and is used commonly in cultural, particularly political, contexts.
In a political context, the phrase means to generate public approval, not by excellence in public service or public policy, but by diversion, distraction or by satisfying the most immediate or base requirements of a populace[1] — by offering a palliative: for example food (bread) or entertainment (circuses).
Juvenal, who originated the phrase, used it to decry the "selfishness" of common people and their neglect of wider concerns.[2][3][4] The phrase implies a population's erosion or ignorance of civic duty as a priority.[5]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates