Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 05:25 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Firing squads work just fine around the world. But here, we have many like the OP who think the state killing child rapists looks bad for our reputation.
Firing squads are cheap and easy. There is a small portion of our criminal population that will never be rehabilitated so there is no need to pay for their living expenses indefinitely.

Old 04-27-2021, 07:27 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Firing squads are cheap and easy. There is a small portion of our criminal population that will never be rehabilitated so there is no need to pay for their living expenses indefinitely.
Some people don't deserve rehabilitation.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:51 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Because this is where we're at:
We are the Romans. "Breads and circuses" is a term I use/think quite a lot these days. It really got to me when I walked the streets of Beit She'an a fairly well preserved Roman ruin in Israel. We have taken everything Roman and added our tech to it.

Quote:
Firing squads are cheap and easy. <snip>
Have you seen the price of ammo lately???

Old 04-28-2021, 08:27 AM

962 posts, read 469,283 times
Quote:

More expensive to have the death penalty, and it's not the price of bullets or electricity, although the drugs are getting up there.

Quote:
Much to the surprise of many who, logically, would assume that shortening someone's life should be cheaper than paying for it until natural expiration, it turns out that it is actually cheaper to imprison someone for life than to execute them. In fact, it is almost 10 times cheaper! One might ask, “how can that be?”
Quote:
The death penalty is far more expensive than a system utilizing life-without-parole sentences as an alternative punishment. Some of the reasons for the high cost of the death penalty are the longer trials and appeals required when a person’s life is on the line, the need for more lawyers and experts on both sides of the case, and the relative rarity of executions. Most cases in which the death penalty is sought do not end up with the death penalty being imposed. And once a death sentence is imposed, the most likely outcome of the case is that the conviction or death sentence will be overturned in the courts. Most defendants who are sentenced to death essentially end up spending life in prison, but at a highly inflated cost because the death penalty was involved in the process.
Quote:
Why is the death penalty so expensive?
  • Legal costs: Almost all people who face the death penalty cannot afford their own attorney. The state must assign public defenders or court-appointed lawyers to represent them (the accepted practice is to assign two lawyers), and pay for the costs of the prosecution as well.
  • Pre-trial costs: Capital cases are far more complicated than non-capital cases and take longer to go to trial. Experts will probably be needed on forensic evidence, mental health, and the background and life history of the defendant. County taxpayers pick up the costs of added security and longer pre-trial detention.
  • Jury selection: Because of the need to question jurors thoroughly on their views about the death penalty, jury selection in capital cases is much more time consuming and expensive.
  • Trial: Death-penalty trials can last more than four times longer than non-capital trials, requiring juror and attorney compensation, in addition to court personnel and other related costs.
  • Incarceration: Most death rows involve solitary confinement in a special facility. These require more security and other accommodations as the prisoners are kept for 23 hours a day in their cells.
  • Appeals: To minimize mistakes, every prisoner is entitled to a series of appeals. The costs are borne at taxpayers’ expense. These appeals are essential because some inmates have come within hours of execution before evidence was uncovered proving their innocence.
Quote:
At a time in which the Arizona Department of Corrections is facing criticism for crumbling infrastructure, substandard medical care, and understaffing, the department has spent $1.5 million to purchase the lethal-injection drug pentobarbital from an undisclosed source. The exorbitant price, experts say, is a function of the questionable use of the drug for non-medical purposes and the secretive nature of the transaction.
Quote:
Deborah Denno, a professor at Fordham Law School, summarized the situation, saying, “States have switched from one drug to another, crossed state lines to get drugs, paid cash and failed to record the payments to keep the purchases secret. All of those actions are violations of state or federal laws, and all of them have ended up jacking up the price of the drugs.” Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, said, “Any time a government retreats into secrecy you know there’s a problem. If you don’t have accountability then it opens the door to favoritism, to graft and to dealing with a lot of shady characters who don’t have the public’s interest in mind.” This is the third time Arizona’s process for obtaining lethal-injection drugs has come under scrutiny. The state twice before attempted to illegally import execution drugs from overseas suppliers with murky backgrounds.
Quote:
Hannah Cox, national manager of Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty, said that the spending of large sums of taxpayer money on executions by Arizona, Missouri, and Tennessee violates conservative principles. “You can’t run around and say you are a fiscal conservative Republican, or that you are pro-limited government and for the free market, and then behave like this,” Cox said. “It’s completely contradictory to every conservative value.”

Old 04-28-2021, 08:53 AM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
I looked through the list of death row inmates, and for one I've yet to see a person that doesn't deserve it. A list of people who beat, raped, tortured, murdered men, women and children. The only outrage I see is that a lot of those individuals have been convicted and gone through several failed appeals and yet they're still there 20, 30 in some cases 40 years later.

Clearly there's no shortage of activists and advocates who are not above any sort of legal trickery to help these brutes. As a result it's pretty rich for opponents - i.e. those activists and advocates -to claim it's too expensive when they're the ones doing whatever they can to make it more expensive.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:12 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,050,851 times
I don't care if someone is executed or locked up for life. As long as they can't hurt anyone else again it's fine by me.

IMO, the bigger problem is relatively short amounts of prison time for very violent people. I sat on a county grand jury here for four months, and some of the cases we heard really make a person's blood boil.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
We should bring back public hangings.
Only if they are televised

Old 04-28-2021, 01:21 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
We are the Romans. "Breads and circuses" is a term I use/think quite a lot these days. It really got to me when I walked the streets of Beit She'an a fairly well preserved Roman ruin in Israel. We have taken everything Roman and added our tech to it.

Have you seen the price of ammo lately???
And if you can find what you need.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:34 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Quote:
More expensive to have the death penalty, and it's not the price of bullets or electricity, although the drugs are getting up there.
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Clearly there's no shortage of activists and advocates who are not above any sort of legal trickery to help these brutes. As a result it's pretty rich for opponents - i.e. those activists and advocates -to claim it's too expensive when they're the ones doing whatever they can to make it more expensive.
Agreed. What happened to the next day at dawn execution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Only if they are televised
But of course! After all, we aren't supposed to do or go anywhere now a days ever again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
And if you can find what you need.
ammoseek.com

Old 04-28-2021, 08:14 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Everything you listed pertaining to why capital punishment is expensive could easily be eliminated, and would be a non issue if we simply returned to swift & effective punishment. If a cold blooded murderer is found guilty, there should be an immediate death sentence equivalent to how the murderer committed his crime ... no lethal injections, no appeals, or any of that nonsense. This method would be pretty damn cheap compared to housing them for a lifetime in prison. Also, when deviant killers are given essentially the same kind of euthanasia as a beloved pet, there's definitely something wrong with the criminal justice system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I looked through the list of death row inmates, and for one I've yet to see a person that doesn't deserve it. A list of people who beat, raped, tortured, murdered men, women and children. The only outrage I see is that a lot of those individuals have been convicted and gone through several failed appeals and yet they're still there 20, 30 in some cases 40 years later.

Exactly! The below link is another example of a horrid crime in the news today. He murdered his own mother with saws. The appropriate punishment for such a worthless piece of sh*t is to cut him into pieces, the same way he treated his victim! However, the bleeding heart liberals' solution would likely be saw control.
()

https://www.azfamily.com/news/man-ac...lock_id=997196
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates