Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:09 AM

2,062 posts, read 2,551,106 times

Advertisements

In some countries boxing is seen as a way to get out of poverty. Boxing is also a dangerous violent sport that has caused brain damage and death. Should the civilized world ban boxing as a sport?

Last edited by vanguardisle; 03-13-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 09:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,732 times
I say no. As dangerous as it may be, people willingly choose to participate. If participation were mandatory, I think it would be different. Football is dangerous and violent. Add ice hockey and rugby as well. My stance is the possible monetary rewards are an agreement to have the risk. It's no different than starting a business at its most basic level. Risk versus reward.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:55 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
In some countries boxing is seen as a way to get out of poverty. Boxing is also a dangerous violent sport that has caused brain damage and death. Should the civilized world ban boxing as a sport?

Where do you draw the line? Many sports are violent and/or dangerous and cause serious injury. While it may be true that some countries utilize boxing as a way out of poverty that's not the case in this county. And why would that necessarily be a bad thing. People use many avenues and talents to rise above their economic state some of which can be physically or mentally harmful. This is true not only in sports but professions as well. People should have the freedom to make these choices. Do you really want a bigger nanny state than what we already have.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Seeing video footage of men hit so hard they later die is enough for me to ban it. Yes other sports are dangerous but other sports do not encourage men to be knocked unconscious as a way to win.

Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Seeing video footage of men hit so hard they later die is enough for me to ban it. Yes other sports are dangerous but other sports do not encourage men to be knocked unconscious as a way to win.
As sports go boxing doesn't hold the record for number of fatalities. Racing drivers 379, Mountaineering 152, motorcycle racing 109, boxing 47, hunting 44, equestrian 26.

If we ban all activities with elements of danger that could possibly cause fatality what shall we do with ourselves, play video games and live in a safe virtual world?

Old 03-13-2015, 02:01 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,097,684 times
There's no need. The people who box choose to do so and they know the risk associated with it.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:37 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,949 times
Quote:
In some countries [soccer] is seen as a way to get out of poverty. [Soccer] is also a dangerous violent sport that has caused brain damage and death. Should the civilized world ban [soccer] as a sport?
You can substitute almost any contact-sport for boxing. Also, are you suggesting that the un-civilized world deserves brain damage and death?!

Old 03-13-2015, 02:58 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Roller skates have been known to cause a skater to fall and injure his head. Maybe we should ban them too.
And imagine the good that could be done by making bunk beds illegal!!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
You can substitute almost any contact-sport for boxing. Also, are you suggesting that the un-civilized world deserves brain damage and death?!
No of course it should be banned everwhere I just did not think it had any chance of being banned in third world countries. That is why I only focused on the rest of the world instead. Especially US and Europe . I would like for it to be banned in every country if it could be. Again I know all contact sports can be dangerous but boxing is the only sport that is specifically about hitting each other. What is the object of this sport? How do you win this sport? The one who can inflict the most pain the most damage on another person? The one who can knock the other person unconscious wins? Is boxing a sport or glamorized violence?

Old 03-14-2015, 03:21 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,712,855 times
Quote:
Why not just live and let live? Its not like the hard hits are going to injure YOU, why would you care as long as you aren't the one getting punched in the face? My attitude is that as long as they're not punching me, i could care less, its not like any of these people are being forced to be boxers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates