Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:24 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
There are winners and losers in any climate change. If you live in, say, Norway or Canada, then you may view global warming as a good thing.

Edit: Oops, sorry, just saw this was a revival of a very old thread.
lol We all tend to fall for those old resurrected threads. It's a very relevant discussion, though.

Norway will do ok because it doesn't have much permafrost. They have farms above the arctic circle in Norway. Norway should be putting policies in place to encourage those to expand their ag production to the extent possible (mostly dairy farms with small, personal veggie gardens), with an eye to the future. The north of Canada, which is most of it--even parts of the south have permafrost--will become a swamp, as the permafrost melts. It will be useless for farming. Sweden has a TON of abandoned farmland in its "north" that it could reactivate to provide food. All those farmers emigrated to the US and Canada generations ago. They should issue invitations to their descendants in Wisconsin and wherever, to come back and start producing food on all that rich farmland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 07:55 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
In the end it won't matter, because we're all going up in toast together, us and the corporations and their CEO's.
Ha! Sometimes that scenario doesn't seem to bad.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,208,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
And the earth's axis is not a constant tilt. It changes. And then there is solar activity cycles. They have predictable ups and downs. And the net effect is changes in the climate.
Yes, ups and downs, and when is winter, it is Port Charlotte, and summer, the regular Charlotte.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:11 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,648,730 times
I was wondering that myself, more people are injured in the winter than the summer and when you get your heating bill you how expensive winters are, all the damage done to your car and roads from road salts so whats so bad about it getting warmer??

Old 02-24-2016, 09:05 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
"Tropical" Do you see "tropical" happening as a result of warming? Does California going up in smoke and drying up look "tropical" to you???????????? Massive forest fires in British Columbia for several summers straight--is that what you call "tropical"?

Moderator cut: Off Topic
Typical. Look at ALL the negatives and ignore the positive. How do you calculate the benefit of a better crop season and a slightly warmer winter in Minnesota? It's hard. How to you calculate a fire damage? Easy. The availability to capture all that livable land in the north would outweigh the costs of losing our coasts because losing the coasts is a 1 time thing while the arable land is a continual benefit. I don't think people realize how much of the world is basically uninhabitable (or you wouldn't want to live there) because it's just too cold.

I do agree that it will be bad though with SOOOO many people on the coast.

What's the solution though? Try to stall the course of events or encourage people to move off the coast? My answer is both. A little bit trying to slow the climate change process to buy time, but ultimately people are going to have to move. Like others said, southern Louisiana or the Florida coast is not a sustainable place to live even if the seas don't rise.

My big thing is that there should be a tax on new coastal construction to prevent future damages if the levels do rise as well as efforts to cut carbon.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:26 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,168,513 times
Most global warming prevention discussions focus on limiting carbon release.

What is rarely discussed in that is another, more absolute reason to reduce carbon release: atmospheric carbon increases the acidification of the oceans, disrupting, even destroying food chains and leading to collapse of entire species.

I don't know about you, but a dead ocean isn't something I want to see happen, not in my lifetime, not in any lifetime. Regardless of what you feel about warming, the acidification of the ocean has really zero controversy as to whether it's happening and as to whether it would increase with additional carbon in the atmosphere. For whatever reason, the anti-warming crowd feels that trying to convince people of the thread of warming to coastal cities and agricultural regions will get more people interested in carbon mitigation than the fact that we could end up killing entire oceans. But to me, given that the science is less controversial and more established, there should be a lot more discussion about how we're at risk of killing the oceans.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So just bear with me here for a minute. The Earth long ago was warmer, and supported an abundance of life that lived in tropical climates. It is in the tropical climates today that we find the greatest diversity, and abundance of life. The oil that we have today was caused by the accumulation of biomass that settled and turned to fossil fuels. This resulted in a significant amount of "carbon energy" that left the surface, and the Earth itself has cooled. Now that we are extracting the fossil fuels and burning them we are in effect re-releasing this carbon energy back into the surface environment, and this is warming the Earth, in effect, back to a tropical environment. Is that all that bad really?
Sure and it would be great if the tropics remained in the tropics. I don't think we have a right as a species to permanently alter the balance that has been in effect with mother nature for eons. I think the ultimate supremacy and intelligence of our species comes into question if we have the ability to knowingly destroy the only place in the universe that we all call home.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:56 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,011 times
I want global warming. These mild winters are so nice.

There were once palm trees in Canada. Remember that.

Is there really an argument against it? The polar bear with go extinct? Who gives a rip? The mammoth kicked the bucket, the sabertooth is gone, the giant sloth is no more. Life goes on. Some species make it, some don't. Welcome to a billion years of evolution.

Just 10,000 years ago the US was covered in two miles of ice. Anybody stop for a second to contemplate that maybe we're just riding a giant sine wave? Maybe we are getting warmer, or cooler, or whatever. Point being weather was NEVER constant. You have to be a wacko to think it ever was and that's why global warming isn't taken seriously.

Last edited by HansProof; 02-24-2016 at 08:04 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 12:09 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
There were once palm trees in Canada. Remember that.

Is there really an argument against it? The polar bear with go extinct? Who gives a rip? The mammoth kicked the bucket, the sabertooth is gone, the giant sloth is no more. Life goes on. Some species make it, some don't. Welcome to a billion years of evolution.

There were palm trees in Canada due to plate tectonics and continental drift.

I care if species go extinct...cause one day it could be us.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:00 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,411,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
What is interesting is that most of the earth's history has been ice free, that means no ice at either poles. Technically we are still in an ice age, 85% of Earth's history has been ice free so this is abnormal for the climate of the earth. The ice sheets in both the southern and northern poles will melt and there is nothing we can do about it, the Earth is returning to it's normal climate. Humans only see a small spectrum of time, that which is viewed within our life time, however, the time scale on which the Earth operates is much greater than this, so we see a crises when no crises exist.
If you are talking about 4.5 billion years as "Earth's History" then over how much of that time was there no life on the planet? So what does that matter? Has it been ice free in the last 10,000,000 years? What will sea level be if it becomes ice free again and what will that do to New York City?

It has only been since 1800 that there have been more than ONE BILLION people on the planet. How do you expect to keep feeding them? Are you saying it doesn't matter who starves as long as it is OK in your vicinity?

They are already talking about fish migrating from the equator because it is too warm.

Climate Change: Fish Will Move Toward Poles, Affecting Poor Nations More : News : Nature World News

psik
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates