Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Perhaps it's time to leave your bubble? The ID issue is actually hugely difficult for a lot of people. To get a birth certificate can be a real hassle if you don't have any money or transportation, and god help you if you live far away from where you were born.

There are whole swathes of people at the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic scale who have never eaten in a sitdown restaurant and don't even know how to write a check. Do you really think they have the resources to sort through the rigamarole you have to go through to get an birth certificate and then an actual ID?

And sorry, but voter fraud is pretty rare. It's even more rare for it to actually have any affect on an election.
So these people that don't have the ability to get an ID must not be able to vote either then I am guessing. So since they are not going to be able to vote, since it is such a difficulty to travel to just about anywhere, then we should not have to worry about them voting anyway.

Funny how in California even the illegals can get a drivers license. Not a problem for them. I guess in other parts of the nation it is too hard to get out though and take care of business.

As far as voter fraude being rare, that is very funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 01:49 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,663,404 times
Can you show proof, first you have to show your voter registration. What illegal would take a chance to get caught and deported for voter fraud. The fraud if any is after the vote by people that are in charge.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2015 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 04-07-2015, 02:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Who doesn't have ID or can't get one? it doesn't make sense to me,

I would think the fraudulent act of someone else using your vote is worse.

I don't understand how they don't ask for ID, do you just show up and tell them a name and they let you vote? Do you need a voting card, which can be given to you by a friend or neighbor or stolen out of you mail box and used.
I'm 55 years old. I have to have an id when I buy tobacco products.
I have to have an id when I buy alcohol.

I'm sure that those that are whining about having to provide an id to vote, have one to buy their cigs and booze... so what's the deal? They're not whining about having to provide it then, why now? Because they want to use the "poor old me, I'm poor and can't afford it" card..." I call bs....

There are organizations that will, free of charge, get you that valid id to be used to vote, so throw away the poor pitiful me card and get your dang id card... With feeling as though you're entitled, we already know who you're voting for anyway... and, for the record, that would NOT be the same folks I'm voting for so I'm actually HELPING the enemy, if you will...

Old 04-07-2015, 02:18 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I would suggest that anyone who feels the people on the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder face extreme difficulties in getting appropriate ID that they go out and help them.

Seems like lack of photo ID would be a real impediment to people getting off the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. Help someone with photo ID, and the world may open up for them enough to get a job and start moving up the ladder.

That would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

Obviously, some people for whom getting an ID would be hugely difficult are not in a position to gain employment either, but the effort would help some others start on the road to independence, if they are willing and able.

Lack of photo ID can be a barrier to a lot of things we take for granted as free people. Helping people get IDs isn't only going to help them vote.
I have always wondered why EBT cards (those are what replaced "food stamps", right?) can't serve as ID.

I might be wrong, but aren't those cards just automatically "refilled" each month via computer? So, at the time a person qualifies for benefits, why can't the card be issued with the person's photo on it?

A few years ago, major credit cards advertised the "photo" feature, so why not EBT cards? These could not only serve as ID but they would also help to guard against fraud.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:21 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
I'm 55 years old. I have to have an id when I buy tobacco products.
I have to have an id when I buy alcohol.

I'm sure that those that are whining about having to provide an id to vote, have one to buy their cigs and booze... so what's the deal? They're not whining about having to provide it then, why now? Because they want to use the "poor old me, I'm poor and can't afford it" card..." I call bs....

There are organizations that will, free of charge, get you that valid id to be used to vote, so throw away the poor pitiful me card and get your dang id card... With feeling as though you're entitled, we already know who you're voting for anyway... and, for the record, that would NOT be the same folks I'm voting for so I'm actually HELPING the enemy, if you will...
I think it all boils down to "where there's a will, there's a way." If people cared enough as much about voting as they do about alcohol and tobacco, I am fairly sure that they would manage to get a valid ID.

But that brings up a point -- what kind of ID are they using that is good enough to purchase tobacco and alcoholic beverages, but is not good enough to identify them for voting purposes?

It all sounds very strange and suspicious to me.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:33 PM

950 posts, read 924,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
Why stop with ID? Why, we can also reinstate literacy tests, the poll tax and paddy rollers to root out those pesky demon-crat voters. The franchise can ultimately be reserved for White Christian (which these days would be evangelical rather than Anglican; definitely not Catholic!) as it was in the past. STOP DRINKING THE KOCH BROTHERS FAUX NEWS KOOL-AID. With voter participation rates less than 37% in the 2014 election, this is a total non-issue.
Apples to oranges !

Yes, voting is a right but it is a right that comes with restrictions.

( age, residency )

Once restrictions are in place , an ID should be required.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:33 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Can you show proof, first you have to show your voter registration. What illegal would take a chance to get caught and deported for voter fraud. The fraud if any is after the vote by people that are in charge.
Deported for voting? What a joke.
Fraud after the vote? Yes. Al Franken in Minnesota is the perfect example.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:12 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,655,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I lived for decades without ID. I didn't have a driver's license, so no ID. People who live in rural areas may be hard-pressed to go into the city to get a state ID. But the thing is, there's no need to show ID at the polling station. It's very rare for people to vote illegally. What is much more common is voter suppression; using various means to keep people from voting. That's the problem that needs to be addressed, not the dozen or so people nationwide who manage to vote twice, or vote without being citizens. Voter suppression is widespread, as has been proven in Congressional investigations over several Presidential elections.
So you had no bank account? Never went to a hospital? Never been enrolled in school?

Old 04-07-2015, 04:31 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
I honestly don't understand what the big deal about voter ID is. When I lived in Arizona I had a voter ID card. So what? It was just another card in my wallet.

Moderator cut: off topic

Almost everyone has a driver's license, and for those who don't, there's a state ID card that costs between $7 and $25, depending on the state -- and there's usually a financial hardship discount as well. So just do it.

Or else, stop making me show my ID for every other thing in my life -- like driving, buying a beer, and getting on a plane.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2015 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: Removed partisan/other politically charged statements. Language

Old 04-07-2015, 04:38 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Requiring a state-issued ID to vote is a poll tax. Poll taxes are illegal. Just because YOU have no problems getting a state ID doesn't mean everyone has an easy time. It's also a solution looking for a problem. There is no widespread or even significant voter fraud happening at the polls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates