Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 08:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 22,098,104 times

Advertisements

A lot of the issue here is a lack of personal responsibility so some planning ahead of time is necessary. It's too bad that so many things can be done without a birth certificate the way it used to be because people would have one when they really need it or have some alternative that would be acceptable. Here is a state by state listing of requirements for getting a state issued ID card: Applying for a New DMV Identification Card at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

I remember going into vote not that long ago and all they did was ask our name and, no, these were not people that knew us. The county clerk said that they never removed names once registered in KS anyway at that time. She said her grandparents were still listed even though they had been dead for years. This was less than 10 years ago. I think they may have since cleaned up those records, hopefully. Now, we must show a photo ID. Our son, an adult with developmental disabilities has to have a state issued ID in order to use any Medicaid services.

Here is a list of 24 things that require a photo ID although I would dispute some of them having read through requirements as some states/agencies offer alternatives: 24 things that require a photo ID | WashingtonExaminer.com

I fully support requiring a photo ID, either DL or state ID, current one. Many people relocate and I have personally known people who voted in more than one state at the same time. Voting is a right with responsibilities attached. Most rights are like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 PM

546 posts, read 408,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

I fully support requiring a photo ID, either DL or state ID, current one. Many people relocate and I have personally known people who voted in more than one state at the same time. Voting is a right with responsibilities attached. Most rights are like that.
The last time I moved, I could have voted by absentee ballot in my home state, and I could have registered in my new state and voted here, no problem.

I probably could have secured another absentee ballot and voted twice again two years later.

I did not, but there was nothing to stop me but my own integrity.

Some states will drop you from the rolls if you skip a Presidential election or two, but others I think just leave people on the rolls indefinitely.

Naturally, the dropping of people from voter registrations due to non-voting has been protested...

Old 04-08-2015, 11:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
No, it does not. Did you just not read what I post? The Photo ID only proves identity because of the documents required to obtain it. That's the whole point. Those same documents go into voter registration. If you are already registered, why is a photo required?
How do they know you are who you say you are that when you show up at the polls?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,306,684 times
I support showing ID to vote. I don't know how it's done out side of NYC, but here it's almost like an honor system. Go in tell your name sign the sheet. My signature from when U registered t vote when I was 18yo is nothing like the way it is now 20 years later. Yet I have never been called out on it.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Therefore, there is no widespread or significant voter fraud in America, since no statistics indicate that.
How would you compile any reliable data without identifying the voter? This is like saying no one went through a stop sign if no accident occurred. If we wanted to know how many people are going through the stop sign you can only do that by identifying them.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:11 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Who doesn't have ID or can't get one? it doesn't make sense to me,

I would think the fraudulent act of someone else using your vote is worse.

I don't understand how they don't ask for ID, do you just show up and tell them a name and they let you vote? Do you need a voting card, which can be given to you by a friend or neighbor or stolen out of you mail box and used.

MODERATOR NOTE: This is not a thread about partisan politics and any reference to it is OFF TOPIC. Please read post #24 before posting in the thread.
Plenty of people don't have what would be considered valid government ID. Heck, my own state-issued ID expires next month. I'll get around to renewing at some point, but that's a luxury plenty of people don't have. You know, people who can't take off work in the middle of the day to go to the MVA or don't have access to transportation to get there (elderly, poor, etc.) or don't have access to the records necessary to receive a government-issued ID or simply don't realize their ID is expired, etc. Why would someone think it's a good idea to put up roadblocks when it comes to being able to vote? No one's going to steal your name/address/DOB just to vote illegally. It's a solution in search of a problem.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:19 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How would you compile any reliable data without identifying the voter? This is like saying no one went through a stop sign if no accident occurred. If we wanted to know how many people are going through the stop sign you can only do that by identifying them.
That's an absurd analogy. If someone goes and votes under my name, then I go and try to vote, obviously we know voter fraud occurred. The notion someone of sound mind is going to commit a felony to try and cast a vote is laughable. And if someone were that nuts then having to creating a fake ID isn't going to be that big of a speed bump, anyways, since they'll already have to know all the info associated with it (name, address, DOB).

Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
That's an absurd analogy. If someone goes and votes under my name, then I go and try to vote, obviously we know voter fraud occurred.
Pew estimates:
Quote:

Inaccurate, Costly, and Inefficient
  • Approximately 24 million—one of every eight—voter registrations in the United States are no longer valid or are significantly inaccurate.
  • More than 1.8 million deceased individuals are listed as voters.
  • Approximately 2.75 million people have registrations in more than one state.
These are not all fraudulent registrations and I think it's very safe to assume the majority are not fraudulent. This does highlight the potential for fraud. There was a TV station in Florida that in one county with about 5% of the population found more than 100 fraudulent registrations simply by comparing voter rolls to jury questionnaire forms. Many of them voted.

Even if were a mere 25 that voted and that held true for the other 95% of the population you have enough votes to swing the 2000 presidential election.

Quote:
The notion someone of sound mind is going to commit a felony to try and cast a vote is laughable.
Yet people have been caught doing it, for one thing it's so hard to get caught since we aren't indetifying voters they would certainly be emboldened.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:34 AM

50,727 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
But she feels well enough to go and vote on election day?

Call and speak to a supervisor there and see if they will make an exception to give you an appointment so you don't have to wait so long at the DMV. Ask the director of the assisted living facility if there are any other avenues you can pursue to get her an ID.
They take them on the handicapped bus the facility has, or they do absentee for them. It's not just getting in the car, going to DMV involves sitting there and sitting there, and finding her "10 points of i.d." or whatever it is when she has nothing in her name anymore...it just feels overwhelming to her and she'd rather not vote than go through it. I did ask them when she first moved in, as an ALF I worked in before somehow arranged for the county to come in and do i.d.'s for the residents there, but at my mom's place they did not do this.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:43 AM

818 posts, read 1,016,955 times
The minimum voting age should be raised to 30. People under 30 can still vote, but they would have to pass
some sort of competency test for their vote to count. Voting should be privilege, not a right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates