Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Who doesn't have ID or can't get one? it doesn't make sense to me,

I would think the fraudulent act of someone else using your vote is worse.

I don't understand how they don't ask for ID, do you just show up and tell them a name and they let you vote? Do you need a voting card, which can be given to you by a friend or neighbor or stolen out of you mail box and used.

MODERATOR NOTE: This is not a thread about partisan politics and any reference to it is OFF TOPIC. Please read post #24 before posting in the thread.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2015 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: Added moderator note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:49 AM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
I don't get it either.
The other day at the post office a sign had gone up that read "you must show a photo ID when picking up mail" makes sense right, you forgot your PO Box key and ask the clerk for the mail from box "X" and if they don't know you, you could be just any dope looking to steal.
The other day at the bank I deposited thousands into an account, didn't know the teller and I had to show an ID to get the balance.
We have to show a photo ID for so many things today why not voting. In this state MASS. We have a lot of EBT card welfare fraud and the thought by the right was to put the legal card holders photo on the card. The left shot that idea down stating that it would further embarrass the card holder.

There are people that do not have photo Id's such as the elderly. The most common Id is a drivers license that they may have given up years ago so give them a card.

Moderator cut: off topic

If people want to contribute in society they should have some form of photo ID.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-08-2015 at 06:46 AM.. Reason: Removed partisan/other politically charged statements

Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 AM

696 posts, read 906,729 times
Why stop with ID? Why, we can also reinstate literacy tests, the poll tax and paddy rollers to root out those pesky voters. The franchise can ultimately be reserved for White Christian (which these days would be evangelical rather than Anglican; definitely not Catholic!) as it was in the past. With voter participation rates less than 37% in the 2014 election, this is a total non-issue.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2015 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Removed partisan/other politically charged statements

Old 04-07-2015, 09:26 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post

I don't understand how they don't ask for ID, do you just show up and tell them a name and they let you vote? Do you need a voting card, which can be given to you by a friend or neighbor or stolen out of you mail box and used.
Perhaps it's time to leave your bubble? The ID issue is actually hugely difficult for a lot of people. To get a birth certificate can be a real hassle if you don't have any money or transportation, and god help you if you live far away from where you were born.

There are whole swathes of people at the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic scale who have never eaten in a sitdown restaurant and don't even know how to write a check. Do you really think they have the resources to sort through the rigamarole you have to go through to get an birth certificate and then an actual ID?

And sorry, but voter fraud is pretty rare. It's even more rare for it to actually have any affect on an election.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
And sorry, but voter fraud is pretty rare. It's even more rare for it to actually have any affect on an election.
Precisely how many fraudulent votes were cast in Florida for Bush in 2000?

Precisely how many fraudulent votes were cast in Florida for Gore in 2000?

You can't answer that and neither can anyone else. This is not a crime like murder where you have dead body and know it occurred. The reason you can't answer that is you first need to identify the voter to identify voter fraud.

Last edited by thecoalman; 04-07-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 10:07 AM

546 posts, read 408,755 times
I would suggest that anyone who feels the people on the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder face extreme difficulties in getting appropriate ID that they go out and help them.

Seems like lack of photo ID would be a real impediment to people getting off the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. Help someone with photo ID, and the world may open up for them enough to get a job and start moving up the ladder.

That would be a good thing, wouldn't it?

Obviously, some people for whom getting an ID would be hugely difficult are not in a position to gain employment either, but the effort would help some others start on the road to independence, if they are willing and able.

Lack of photo ID can be a barrier to a lot of things we take for granted as free people. Helping people get IDs isn't only going to help them vote.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
Why stop with ID? Why, we can also reinstate literacy tests, the poll tax and paddy rollers to root out those pesky voters. The franchise can ultimately be reserved for White Christian (which these days would be evangelical rather than Anglican; definitely not Catholic!) as it was in the past. With voter participation rates less than 37% in the 2014 election, this is a total non-issue.
It should be a non issue and should be required. There are hundreds of places where you need ID, why not to vote? {mod]-[/mod]. If you can't get a photo ID then bring in other things you have such as your Social Security card and match your signature to it.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-07-2015 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Removed partisan/other politically charged statements

Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to leave your bubble? The ID issue is actually hugely difficult for a lot of people. To get a birth certificate can be a real hassle if you don't have any money or transportation, and god help you if you live far away from where you were born.

There are whole swathes of people at the lowest rungs of the socioeconomic scale who have never eaten in a sitdown restaurant and don't even know how to write a check. Do you really think they have the resources to sort through the rigamarole you have to go through to get an birth certificate and then an actual ID?

I'm not living in a bubble. If these people have a Social Security card they are obviously in the system. They should to to their state Representatives for help. I just surprised that voting cards are sent out like prizes in cereal boxes.

Bring whatever ID you have if you don't have photo ID, just be prepared to prove that you are the person you say you are when you go to the polls.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,626,496 times
Quote:

The Voter ID laws of which I'm aware provide that anyone who cannot afford the fees associated with obtaining an ID must be provided one for free. This seems reasonable to me, as it removes the "poll tax by another name" issue.

As for "sort[ing] through the rigamarole," honestly, at what point do we need to step back and say, "How much effort is it worth to you to have a voice in your government?" If you can't be bothered to take the necessary steps to obtain an ID, I'd just as soon not have you having a say in how I will be governed.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:40 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post

I lived for decades without ID. I didn't have a driver's license, so no ID. People who live in rural areas may be hard-pressed to go into the city to get a state ID. But the thing is, there's no need to show ID at the polling station. It's very rare for people to vote illegally. What is much more common is voter suppression; using various means to keep people from voting. That's the problem that needs to be addressed, not the dozen or so people nationwide who manage to vote twice, or vote without being citizens. Voter suppression is widespread, as has been proven in Congressional investigations over several Presidential elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates