Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

Black is a race, homosexuality is a behavior.
You cannot compare the two on any level in that you cannot change your race, but can choose not to engage in certain behaviors ...

`
The level of ignorance one sees in these forums is astounding ...

Homosexuality is NOT a behavior. It is a Sexual Orientation ... just like Bisexuality and Heterosexuality.

So, I guess you're telling millions of American citizens that they cannot fall in love according to their natural desires; they cannot express affection for the person they love? Lesbian and gay couples do not deserve recognition nor respect???

Gay rights are different from Black rights, as are Women's rights, Jewish rights, handicapped rights, Native Indian tribal rights, etc. All seek equal justice under law ... that is what they have in common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 06:40 PM

195 posts, read 177,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The level of ignorance one sees in these forums is astounding ...

Homosexuality is NOT a behavior. It is a Sexual Orientation ... just like Bisexuality and Heterosexuality.

So, I guess you're telling millions of American citizens that they cannot fall in love according to their natural desires; they cannot express affection for the person they love? Lesbian and gay couples do not deserve recognition nor respect???

Gay rights are different from Black rights, as are Women's rights, Jewish rights, handicapped rights, Native Indian tribal rights, etc. All seek equal justice under law ... that is what they have in common.
I think overall, heterosexual relationships are healthier for society.

I don't agree with the comparison to any minority race's struggle with discrimination because homosexuality isn't a normal, procreative strategy for any species, hence the uncomfortable feeling toward it. I feel sorry for those born this way just as I do those who are born with any other abnormality that makes their lives more difficult.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy, and I don't mind interacting with gay people at work, movies, restaurants, etc. I have at least one gay family member I know of and I still care about this person the same way prior to finding this out.

There is an effort to conflate the two (Gay/Black) to make homosexuality seem more normal, a co-opting, but it isn't. The majority of black people do not agree with the lifestyle at all. It's becoming more and more pervasive in the media and I still cannot watch two men be sexual with each other without wincing.

This topic involves a lot of complexity and unfortunately there simply isn't an easy way to deal with it. I do know that demanding people accept it, which seems to be getting more aggressive isn't going to help.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:35 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,217,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I agree that the comparison doesn't quite work. Being black, or white, or whatever, is simply about what you are in terms of ancestry. Being gay is, at least in part, about what you do. Blacks in the civil rights movement were asking to be judged by the "content of their character", their behavior, not their genetic makeup or family background. Gays are asking that others change their attitudes toward gay lifestyles, and accept behavior to which many people have a natural aversion. It would seem a much harder case to make, but gays have been amazingly successful in advancing their agenda over the past generation.
I beg to differ. Gays are asking to be treated like any other person. They are not asking to be "accepted." They want to be tolerated like any other group or sub group in this country. Gay lifestyles have no affect at all on any one else but Gays.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
The oppression of blacks and gays is similar. What is different is how they can deal with it, since it is easier for most gays to pass as straight than for blacks to pass as whites, and because blacks tend to grow up surrounded by black relatives, so they get that support from that community. They see others like them and can bond and look out for each other. Gays are often the only gay in the family. That leads to gays feeling much lonelier for much of their formative years. But the bigotry both groups suffer is 100% identical. It's ignorance, prejudice, and hatred.

Both groups have not experienced the exact same types of abuse to the same degree. That's mainly because blacks are easier to spot than gays, for the most part. So, that does not really change the nature of the oppression. It just changes the nature of how the oppression is implemented. Gay oppression has been more religious in nature than the oppression of blacks, although there have been people who use biblical passages to justify oppression of blacks as well, but not nearly to extent that they use it for homosexuality.

Gays are not a race, per se, so they grow up without an accepting community of peers for the most part, unlike blacks. They suffer individually, rather than as a race. Gay people have to figure out the oppression and how to survive it on their own, without any guidance. So, in that sense, oppression of gays is quite different.
There is no per se....They are not a race or ethnicity. It is a culture.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:28 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,756,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
I beg to differ. Gays are asking to be treated like any other person. They are not asking to be "accepted." They want to be tolerated like any other group or sub group in this country. Gay lifestyles have no affect at all on any one else but Gays.
Sure they are.

Gay men want us to see them holding hands, cuddling and kissing in public and not be grossed out. They want us to thnk, "Aww, isn't that nice they're so in love." It's a lot to ask of society.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:40 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Black is a race, homosexuality is a behavior.
You cannot compare the two on any level in that you cannot change your race, but can choose not to engage in certain behaviors.
More importantly, even if you do engage in aberrant behavior, done in the privacy of ones own home, no one need to know.
The issue becomes a problem when people who engage is certain behaviors demand other members of society to fully accept that behavior as just another "lifestyle choice".
Remember, homos only make up about 3% of the population, yet expect heteros to accept their redefining traditional society, to suit their behavior.

`
Being gay is not a behavior. Is being straight a behavior? It also is not a lifestyle or a choice. Being a bigot is both a choice and a behavior, being religious is a choice and a behavior, ones sexual orientation is not a choice, gay or straight.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
I think overall, heterosexual relationships are healthier for society.

I don't agree with the comparison to any minority race's struggle with discrimination because homosexuality isn't a normal, procreative strategy for any species, hence the uncomfortable feeling toward it. I feel sorry for those born this way just as I do those who are born with any other abnormality that makes their lives more difficult.

I'm a live and let live kind of guy, and I don't mind interacting with gay people at work, movies, restaurants, etc. I have at least one gay family member I know of and I still care about this person the same way prior to finding this out.

There is an effort to conflate the two (Gay/Black) to make homosexuality seem more normal, a co-opting, but it isn't. The majority of black people do not agree with the lifestyle at all. It's becoming more and more pervasive in the media and I still cannot watch two men be sexual with each other without wincing.

This topic involves a lot of complexity and unfortunately there simply isn't an easy way to deal with it. I do know that demanding people accept it, which seems to be getting more aggressive isn't going to help.
Being gay is not a lifestyle. Is your being straight a lifestyle? Ask your one family member that is gay if they chose to be gay and if it is a lifestyle. Being gay is also normal, just as normal as being straight or bisexual is, it just is not the majority, but that does not make it not normal. What do you suggest, that gay people hide from you straight people until you can come to terms and accept us?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post
There is no per se....They are not a race or ethnicity. It is a culture.
It does not take race to be discriminated against, nor to have equal rights or civil rights and sorry, but being gay is not a culture. Being gay is ones sexual orientation.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Sure they are.

Gay men want us to see them holding hands, cuddling and kissing in public and not be grossed out. They want us to thnk, "Aww, isn't that nice they're so in love." It's a lot to ask of society.
How does it affect you to see this? What shall it do to you? Imagine if you will, how it would affect anyone?

Don't like it, don't look.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
It does not take race to be discriminated against, nor to have equal rights or civil rights and sorry, but being gay is not a culture. Being gay is ones sexual orientation.
This is true. I stand corrected! It is a sexual orientation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates