Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 11:35 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBear View Post
Gay's are comparing their fight with the Black's civil rights movement. I do not see it or understand the the comparison. Please someone explain
This is what I would call a strawman post. Instead of just coming out and saying "I don't like gays," the original poster makes up something about gays comparing their fight with the black civil rights movement. Maybe that comparison has been made by some gays -- but I see no evidence of it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Sure they are.

Gay men want us to see them holding hands, cuddling and kissing in public and not be grossed out. They want us to thnk, "Aww, isn't that nice they're so in love." It's a lot to ask of society.
I dislike PDAs (public displays of affection) whether they are gay or straight. Both are equally disgusting. Get a room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Being gay is not a lifestyle. Is your being straight a lifestyle? Ask your one family member that is gay if they chose to be gay and if it is a lifestyle. Being gay is also normal, just as normal as being straight or bisexual is, it just is not the majority, but that does not make it not normal. What do you suggest, that gay people hide from you straight people until you can come to terms and accept us?
Well said. Gays are created by straights. All gays are the children of people who had straight sex. Homosexuality is not just present in humans, but in some animal species as well. It is just as natural as heterosexuality, just not as common.

The black straight community is probably the least accepting of gays. As a result, black gays go out of their way to hide their orientation -- so do a lot of Latino gays because of the Catholic Church.

Don't complain about being discriminated against when you are discriminating yourself.

I think that is what all of this comes down to.

Black straights do themselves no favor when they bash gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 10:50 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,161,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
And actually, some black men did cover up their race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieG View Post

Oh yes, but that's very few in comparison to the number of White men who could cover up their sexuality. Note White and Black men still fear coming out of the closet.

In any event, White men have faired much better in hiding their sexual identity. This is just a fact.
This is exactly why gay is not the new black.

One's sexual orientation is not an externally distinguishable trait, and unless one chooses to make it known, it remains one's private business.

By contrast, race can be determined by simply observing a person's physical characteristics. Anyone who wishes to conceal their race would have to expend a considerable amount of effort to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates