Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:38 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,280,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
I'm a woman, and I would, and have, offered my seat to anyone who looks like they need to sit down, someone carrying something, someone with a baby, or young child. You could be a 28 year old healthy male carrying something heavy, and I would offer my seat to you. I'm not usually carrying something and I don't have a baby to hold, and I wouldn't expect a man to offer me his seat. I can stand just as well as a man can
It's refreshing to hear a comment like this from a female poster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:56 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It's refreshing to hear a comment like this from a female poster.
Just about every female posting to this tread has said the same: They don't feel a man should give up a seat for an able bodied women and they as women give up their seats to those in need, male or female.

The only difference is some women are offended by the offer, some women feel delighted by the offer, some women feel it is appropriate to refuse the offer, some women feel it is inappropriate to refuse.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:09 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I think both men and women should give their seats to those WHO NEED IT: pregnant women, a handicap person, the elder, someone in crutches, someone who has too much in their hands, someone carrying a baby, etc. All these also include men except the pregnancy scenario of course.

Not sure if a woman would give her seat to a man who was in any situation mentioned in my first paragraph but it would also be a nice gesture. Nice gestures like this are mainly focused from man to woman but both are totally capable of doing them to each other.
I have given up my seat for a male that needed it more than me, and i am definitely all female.

It's funny how long this thread has gone on. It's repeating the same things over and over. No women are on here begging for seats. I don't think anyone wants that. I think there are polite people and rude people. A polite person (like me) will offer a seat. It's that simple.

A male should give his seat up to someone who needs it more, and vice versa. I give up my seat for the elderly, disabled, pregnant women (trust me they need it), and a person with a baby or small child (regardless of gender). I also would let someone sit down if they had a heavy package.

A very few of the posters seem a bit bitter about women's rights. I just don't get why someone is upset that women are treated as equals today, or why they think we would prefer to be coddled. "Oh yes, I can't work for equal pay, but at least every guy will give me his seat on the bus."

Men benefit from equal rights for both genders. They have an equal partner who shares the burden of providing for their families, and more time spent with their children. This is the best time to be a male or female in the USA. Either gender can pretty much do what they want with less gender norms. I know lots of SAHD's and men in female dominated fields. It's more about becoming your authentic self.

It boils down to what kind of person you want to be. Hint: it's either polite, indifferent, or rude. You are free to pick one.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:26 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,677,099 times
I give up my seat if someone needs it more than I do. It's just common sense and the right thing to do. I appreciate kindness, good manners, and empathy.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:48 AM

1,011 posts, read 715,911 times
Pregnant women, or someone who needs the seat more than me yes, but a woman, just because she has breasts and a snatch, er, no.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,638 times
Simply: Nope.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
As a general rule, NO. In light of the feminist movement (and, note, I consider myself of feminist), I don't believe in treating similarly situated individuals differently merely on account of sex/gender. Thus, while I'll give up my seat to a pregnant woman who is showing (I'll also give up my seat to the elderly or disabled, whether male or female), I won't give my seat up to a generic woman just because its the "chivalrous" thing to do.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
How many times in your life have any of you observed a man give up a seat to an able bodied woman that was not his wife.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:17 PM

30,640 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How many times in your life have any of you observed a man give up a seat to an able bodied woman that was not his wife.
When living in New Orleans, that was the norm. I understand the whole concept of southern hospitality, but seeing the practice was a bit nauseating (still, I'm not going to fault people for giving up their own seats . . . just don't guilt/expect me to do the same). Living in NYC, its not unheard of/unseen, but its certainly not the norm.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:04 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
I'll offer a seat to anyone that appears to need it (carrying lots of bags, some physical disability etc.).

For women that aren't carrying much and are "reasonably" able-bodied, I will offer a seat to the following:

1.) Technically old enough to be my mother (my current age plus 15 years...so age 44-ish at least)

2.) Pregnant or a single mom with kid(s)

Younger women that are moderately attractive or just have large breasts/butts will usually have several guys looking to offer them a seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates