Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM

268 posts, read 290,277 times

Advertisements

I am not into this, by there is a rumor going around (among ulra-conservatives such as you much find in, say, Oklahoma), that the US government is working with Wal-Mart to use their stores to funnel people underground in case of nuclear war with China and the resultant martial law. (Something like his, anyway.)

Sounds like crazy nonsense to me. But I do think that most people are really not aware of the nature of government propaganda, or how much government dealings are hidden from the public. Specifically, however much I support marijuana decriminalization and medical marijuana, I wonder if the change in public perception and the opening up of this subject is not secretly fueled by government.

Because:
1. If we do have massive disruption due to war, stoned people will be in less pain (and easier to handle);
2. People in Colorado, Washington state and Washington DC are especially vulnerable due to either weather conditions, political conditions, or both;
3. The costs of the failed "war on drugs" is just no longer acceptable.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
And the point of this post is? It's hard to debate something that makes no sense.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And the point of this post is? It's hard to debate something that makes no sense.
Point: is the current trend toward decrim/legalization of med or rec mj, actually government sponsored via propaganda.

Instead of "Your thoughts," I see I should have written:

Do you feel that it might be possible that the US government, via propaganda, is playing some part in the current change of attitude regarding marijuana ?

Last edited by happypants 3235; 04-27-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 03:17 PM

463 posts, read 320,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
Point: is the current trend toward decrim/legalization of med or rec mj, actually government sponsored via propaganda.

Instead of "Your thoughts," I see I should have written:

Do you feel that it might be possible that the US government, via propaganda, is playing some part in the current change of attitude regarding marijuana ?
That isn't what I am seeing at all. The push for change seems to be coming from localized areas, which then eventually propagates to entire states. It is my belief that the Federal government will not reform Cannabis laws until they are forced to simply because so many states have legalized it.

I agree that the feds push propaganda down our throats all the time. But I am curious as to what makes you think they are interested in using propaganda to get Cannabis laws reformed any sooner than they would have otherwise been?

I think they have financial reasons to keep it illegal as long as they possibly can.

Old 04-27-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
That isn't what I am seeing at all. The push for change seems to be coming from localized areas, which then eventually propagates to entire states. It is my belief that the Federal government will not reform Cannabis laws until they are forced to simply because so many states have legalized it.

I agree that the feds push propaganda down our throats all the time. But I am curious as to what makes you think they are interested in using propaganda to get Cannabis laws reformed any sooner than they would have otherwise been?

I think they have financial reasons to keep it illegal as long as they possibly can.
I wonder about this because if there is a gov perception that, either war or weather will decimate the population, people will be easier to control, or suffer less, if they have access to mj.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:42 PM

13 posts, read 23,797 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree with you Happy. I feel that there is a force pushing for the legalization of marijuana that isn't coming from our citizens. It may or may not be the government. I see it the same way you do.

1. Legalize pot.
2. Cause more bad things to happen.
3. Get away with it because the stoners don't care.
4. Profit???

I personally feel that the legalization of weed will be a step towards the downfall of the United States. Don't get me wrong, I'm a constant pot user and I encourage anyone of legal age (and in a legal area) to try it at least some point in their lives. But, I feel that the trend of vaporizing and smoking weed will put a lot of the population at a point where they can sympathize with the government about the messed up things they do. I know that there has been a time or two during the NSA scandal with Snowden that I thought to myself "Well, they were spying on us... but it doesn't really matter to me as long as there are no immediate negative repercussions." Or they will be given a new perspective and then they will smoke and forget why they were enraged about the screwed up things.

I'm not saying any of this is guaranteed to happen, but I can see why you made the connection that the government might have something to do with the legalization of weed.

Last edited by OldSoulInANewBody; 04-27-2015 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: Didn't realize I couldn't use swear words... Pardon me, Mother.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:55 AM

@OldSoul: Thank you. Kind of frightening if you think about it. Would Denver be a prime military target? There are a lot of military facilities south of there--NORAD, a couple of bases outside Colorado Springs. In some statement from North Korea, the Koreans state that CS is a prime target--but they locate it more towards New Orleans.

On a Facebook page for "stoners" the kids there are busy providing each other with weed (under the guise of trade or other ruses), though rec is illegal in CD and only med is legal. In part, perhaps, because of all the military there.

Honestly, I'm not the sort to support conspiracy theories.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:19 AM

463 posts, read 320,886 times
The major flaw in this line of thinking, in my opinion, is that legalizing won't change usage patterns all that much. Most people who are interested and/or already using gets their cannabis from various black market sources regardless of the law. Someone who isn't interested in it at all isn't going to start up just because it becomes legal.

So my stance is that most everyone who will be using it after legalization is already using it. Prohibition, if anything, has made it more available, not less available (especially to kids).

The next problem with this line of thinking is the stereotype that is being applied to the users. You make it sound like everyone who uses it just vegetates on the couch and doesn't care what is happening around them. While some seek this type of experience with cannabis, many, maybe even most, do not. In my case, for example, I choose strains that energize and motivate me. I don't like being zombied out.

The third problem with this is money. The big drug companies have played a major role in making sure all politicians keep it as illegal as possible (Schedule I), by spending millions every year. They know if this plant starts being used for all its possible medical uses they stand to lose billions (with a capital B) every year.

This payola is still happening, but it is being overshadowed by the fact that the majority of the voting public wants it legalized. It used to be political suicide to even mention legalization, but these days if you don't support it you could get voted out of office. That trumps the payola from the big drug and cigarette companies.

But even though the political winds are changing, many politicians want to hold on to that gravy train as long as they possibly can, which again, makes some sort of push to legalize from the feds unlikely in my opinion. I don't think they will legalize it on the federal level until quite a few more states have legalized it recreationally.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 PM

@Vistaian: I do see your side. Not certain that it's accurate to say, however, that decrim or legalization doesn't change the number of users. I am not using now because I refuse to break the law, but I would if it were legal in my state. Don't think I'm alone in that regard.

It's the same argument, in some sense, as veganism. If suddenly everyone went vegan and factory farms were abolished, concerns about global warming could dissipate. It would solve a lot of problems. So does the gov secretly want us all to go vegan, eventually? I'm not that paranoid, just sayin'.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happypants 3235 View Post
I am not into this, by there is a rumor going around (among ulra-conservatives such as you much find in, say, Oklahoma), that the US government is working with Wal-Mart to use their stores to funnel people underground in case of nuclear war with China and the resultant martial law. (Something like his, anyway.)

Sounds like crazy nonsense to me. But I do think that most people are really not aware of the nature of government propaganda, or how much government dealings are hidden from the public. Specifically, however much I support marijuana decriminalization and medical marijuana, I wonder if the change in public perception and the opening up of this subject is not secretly fueled by government.

Because:
1. If we do have massive disruption due to war, stoned people will be in less pain (and easier to handle);
2. People in Colorado, Washington state and Washington DC are especially vulnerable due to either weather conditions, political conditions, or both;
3. The costs of the failed "war on drugs" is just no longer acceptable.

Your thoughts?
Sound kinda like Alien Nation. The leadership of the alien race kept their working caste in thrall via a powerful and addicting drug. Used it as a reward for greater productivity. The harder they worked, the more they got, the more they got, the harder they worked, until they just burned up, and then a new body gets stuffed in the hole.

Use of drugs to keep people managed and controlled is not science fiction though. Been happening for millennia. I think, if the government of the US were to use such a tactic, they wouldn't use pot. Truthfully, I'm sure there is better stuff than even heroin or crack cocaine at their disposal. But, in order to implement such a plan, things would already be out of their control and folks would be on the fight. The bloodbath that would precede the implementation of such a scheme would be beyond rational thought.

Yet, human nature is a finicky and persnickety beast. Ya never know....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates