Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:04 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,279,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
in The light of everything thats going on Alot of people think the world will end soon. In my opinion theyve been saying that for generations and we havent hit an era where we expand our technological knowledge to make life faster ( than it already is) Find cures make time machines etc.
I think the Bible's prophecies are coming true with the world gradually moving toward a global economy and all sorts of wars and increased natural disasters. I think that prophecy will played out. I think there will be a giant nuclear war (duh) and much of humanity will be wiped out. I don't know how Earth itself will be effected? I probably won't be around nor do I want to be around that long. Perhaps it will be sucked back into a giant vacuum of nothing--grand experiment over? idk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:21 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
It will be the sadistic, fun-loving aliens who will make absolutely sure this poor-excuse-for-a-planet survives! The human race is their greatest source of laughter, a comedy show they turn to every day!

Sadistic laughs! As they see those in nursing homes, in vent/trac units, living in terror they won't catch their next breath!

More sadistic laughs:

Watching a car accident, a pedestrian getting run over, an earthquake or tornado causing widespread destruction, a flood inundating a city, another Chernobyl show, a wife who just learns that her husband has been cheating on her, young people with incalculable student loans and no job, the look of a man just fired from his job, an innocent man serving a prison sentence, waiting to be cleared by DNA evidence! All kinds of laughter for these sadists, and how they'd miss it!

Yup! Let's keep this show on the road for the benefit of the sadistic aliens!

Old 05-08-2015, 04:57 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Humans will destroy the earth to the point where there will be no more natural resources. The water and air will be polluted, we will be swimming in our own trash, the trees will be wiped out, and then so will we. Unfortunately the more humans we have the faster the process will be. When I watched the movie Wall-E for the first time it was exactly how I pictured life and earth to be in the future. Seems that very few people care about the health of the planet. Id like to think that once we are long gone the earth will have the potential to repair itself and be around for a long time after.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:16 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
we will eventually exhaust this planets resources, probably water...and the resulting wars and famine will take out most of us...the few that are left will eventually die off...this planet is slowly becoming less and less hospitable to humans...eventually rising temps and greenhouse gasses will make it uninhabitable to humans as well

Old 05-12-2015, 02:28 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
I agree all resources will be used up.. with too much pollution on land and in the sea...world, including the Gulf of Mexico and the Baltic Sea.
MAKE A DONATION
$5 $10 $20 $
Seas of garbage
Solid garbage also makes its way to the ocean. Plastic bags, balloons, glass bottles, shoes, packaging material – if not disposed of correctly, almost everything we throw away can reach the sea.

Plastic garbage, which decomposes very slowly, is often mistaken for food by marine animals. High concentrations of plastic material, particularly plastic bags, have been found blocking the breathing passages and stomachs of many marine species, including whales, dolphins, seals, puffins, and turtles. Plastic six-pack rings for drink bottles can also choke marine animals.

This garbage can also come back to shore, where it pollutes beaches and other coastal habitats.

Sewage disposal
In many parts of the world, sewage flows untreated, or under-treated, into the ocean. For example, 80% of urban sewage discharged into the Mediterranean Sea is untreated.

This sewage can also lead to eutrophication. In addition, it can cause human disease and lead to beach closures.

Toxic chemicals
Almost every marine organism, from the tiniest plankton to whales and polar bears, is contaminated with man-made chemicals, such as pesticides and chemicals used in common consumer products.

Some of these chemicals enter the sea through deliberate dumping. For centuries, the oceans have been a convenient dumping ground for waste generated on land. This continued until the 1970s, with dumping at sea the accepted practise for disposal of nearly everything, including toxic material such as pesticides, chemical weapons, and radioactive waste.

Dumping of the most toxic materials was banned by the London Dumping Convention in 1972, and an amended treaty in 1996 (the London Convention) further restricted what could be dumped at sea. However, there are still the problems of already-dumped toxic material, and even the disposal of permitted substances at sea can be a substantial environmental hazard.

Chemicals also enter the sea from land-based activities. Chemicals can escape into water, soil, and air during their manufacture, use, or disposal, as well as from accidental leaks or fires in products containing these chemicals. Once in the environment, they can travel for long distances in air and water, including ocean currents.

People once assumed that the ocean was so large that all pollutants would be diluted and dispersed to safe levels. But in reality, they have not disappeared - and some toxic man-made chemicals have even become more concentrated as they have entered the food chain.

Tiny animals at the bottom of the food chain, such as plankton in the oceans, absorb the chemicals as they feed. Because they do not break down easily, the chemicals accumulate in these organisms, becoming much more concentrated in their bodies than in the surrounding water or soil. These organisms are eaten by small animals, and the concentration rises again. These animals are in turn eaten by larger animals, which can travel large distances with their even further increased chemical load.

Animals higher up the food chain, such as seals, can have contamination levels millions of times higher than the water in which they live. And polar bears, which feed on seals, can have contamination levels up to 3 billion times higher than their environment.

People become contaminated either directly from household products or by eating contaminated seafood and animal fats.

Evidence is mounting that a number of man-made chemicals can cause serious health problems - including cancer, damage to the immune system, behavioural problems, and reduced fertility.http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth...ems/pollution/

Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,900 times
I think large-scale nuclear conflict is more likely to come first than any other sort of extinction event. It really just seems like a matter of time for it to happen. So far we've just been fortunate enough to avoid it but what happens when a nuclear armed state is invaded and feels like their sovereignty is at risk? Or some misunderstanding between nuclear states?

Nuclear war wouldn't wipe out all humans but it would totally alter the world as we currently know it.

Old 05-13-2015, 01:20 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Too many countries have nuclear deterrents now. so thats out of the question Id think.. but who knows.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,794,281 times
Isn't supposed to have something to do with the sun? A million or billion years from now it will either go out or blow up. If it goes out the Earth will freeze. If it blows up Earth will be blasted. It's one or the other, I forget which.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:36 PM

575 posts, read 616,266 times
First the sun becomes a red giant. If somehow we avoid being roasted, perhaps by moving earth's orbit, next the sun becomes a white dwarf. So we freeze to death. We have billions of years to plan for this so maybe we will figure something out.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
in The light of everything thats going on Alot of people think the world will end soon. In my opinion theyve been saying that for generations and we havent hit an era where we expand our technological knowledge to make life faster ( than it already is) Find cures make time machines etc.
What does "the world will end" mean?
are you referring to the destruction of earth? the destruction of the solar system or the milkyway galexy or the universe itself? Or do you mean the human race (which i would hardly label as 'the world ending"!)?

you need to be more specific i think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates