Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 AM

678 posts, read 697,870 times

Advertisements

in The light of everything thats going on Alot of people think the world will end soon. In my opinion theyve been saying that for generations and we havent hit an era where we expand our technological knowledge to make life faster ( than it already is) Find cures make time machines etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:08 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
The earth will be roasted to a cinder by a bloated sun.

That's not happening anytime soon, so no need to change your vacation plans.

http://news.sciencemag.org/climate/2...e-soon-thought

Old 04-27-2015, 10:38 AM

268 posts, read 290,277 times
People may come to an end, but the planet--as indicated by the previous poster--has quite some time still.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:25 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Giant asteroid or massive supervolcano (Yellowstone) would do it.

Global catastrophic risk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
I'm of the belief that planet Earth will outlast humanity by billions of years. Either we will evolve to another level of being that we just can't comprehend now, or through our reckless actions, extinct ourselves. Humans from 150,000 years ago are different than those alive today, and those 150k years from now, will be different than we are.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:32 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
in The light of everything thats going on Alot of people think the world will end soon. In my opinion theyve been saying that for generations and we havent hit an era where we expand our technological knowledge to make life faster ( than it already is) Find cures make time machines etc.
My understanding is that all planets eventually die (like people). Something makes them wear out. I am not sure what that is though. So it's either that, a natural death of sorts, or some natural disaster like bumping into something else or getting too close to the sun or the sun exploding or something like that.

I wonder who started the rumor about the end of the world first? Daniel from Judaism (Old Testament of the Bible) wrote about it. I wonder where Daniel got his ideas. I think it was from dreams. Then John in the New Testament kept dreaming about end of the world too. So did they get their information from dreams? Or did they hear about it from their ancestors and their brain obliged and supplied the dreams to go along with it?....

Old 04-27-2015, 01:43 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
My understanding is that all planets eventually die (like people). Something makes them wear out. I am not sure what that is though. So it's either that, a natural death of sorts, or some natural disaster like bumping into something else or getting too close to the sun or the sun exploding or something like that.

I wonder who started the rumor about the end of the world first? Daniel from Judaism (Old Testament of the Bible) wrote about it. I wonder where Daniel got his ideas. I think it was from dreams. Then John in the New Testament kept dreaming about end of the world too. So did they get their information from dreams? Or did they hear about it from their ancestors and their brain obliged and supplied the dreams to go along with it?....
Almost everything found in the Bible, including the end, can be found in the writings of the Sumerians. They were around about 4000 B.C. That said, the world will end when everyone falls off the edge. (the Earth is flat, you know)

Old 04-27-2015, 01:49 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,808,806 times
I unfortunately agree that people will destroy themselves by using up all of the planet's resources and filling it with pollution and toxins and garbage. Once people are extinct, the Earth will slowly start to repair itself and the animals will all rejoice!

Old 04-27-2015, 02:27 PM

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Are we talking about humans or the Earth itself?

Humans are a plague on the planet and like a virus we are slowly killing the host. There will come a time when humans have so poisoned the planet that it will be no longer to support many life forms and there will be mass extinctions. People might not make it and if they do they will be living the life of Hunter Gatherers.
The world as we know it will be gone. The End.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:29 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,497,278 times
God Our Holy Father has told people ( through His Apostle Peter )
how and when the world and every thing will be destroyed .

2Pt:3:10: But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11: Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12: Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Nothing or no one will be left ! ! !

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates