Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2015, 11:30 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
The only child-free day that we (child-free) currently celebrate is International Child-free Day on August 1st of each year (International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men and Women Around the World). But, as a child-free woman, I think child-free women and child-free men should have their own celebratory days rather than being lumped into one celebratory day (August 1st). I think Child-free Women's Day should be celebrated on the first Sunday in June and Child-free Men's Day should be celebrated on the second Sunday in June. (Father's Day is the third Sunday in June.)

So here are my questions to child-free C-D members (parents are free to offer their input as well):

1. Should we establish and start celebrating Child-free Women's Day and Child-free Men's Day?

2. If no, then why not, and if yes, then what dates would you recommend?

By the way, we don't need congressional approval to establish celebratory days; all we need is our own approval, no one else's. I'll be gathering opinions and input from at least 20 – 30 other child-free forums, blogs, websites, etc. over the next couple of months as I would like to have a definitive answer no later than the end of this year .
Whatever floats your boat.

The fact that this is coming up around mothers day shows this to probably be more your issue than anybody elses and you should probably talk to somebody about that rather than passively aggressively releasing your pent up anger in this manner.

Hopefully someday you'll develop a thicker skin and not give a cr*p about what people might think about your decision to have kids or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 11:52 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Famous Child-free People

Oprah Winfrey – Media guru
Dolly Parton – Actress, singer-songwriter
Betty White – Actress
Janeane Garofalo – Comedian, actress and political activist
Eva Mendes – Actress
Tallulah Bankhead – Actress of the stage and screen
Paulette Goddard – Actress and Broadway performer
Stockard Channing – Actress
Sarah Brightman – English classical soprano, actress, songwriter and dancer
Shirley Manson – Scottish singer and actress, lead singer of rock band Garbage
Claudette Colbert – French-born American-based actress
Lauren Hutton – American model and actress
Mary Chapin Carpenter – American folk and country musician and winner of five Grammy Awards
Mary Pickford – Actress, co-founder of the film studio United Artists and one of the original founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Daphne Zuniga – Actress
Ginger Rogers – Actress, dancer, and singer
Cameron Diaz – Actress, model
Kathy Griffin – Comedian, actress “It seems like kids don’t have the rights they need. For example a prison sentence for a child molester is so so incredibly low and yet in a way, kids are running the world (in many ways) it revolves around these kids but I don’t feel like we’re really protecting them. I want to really protect kids. I want to give them rights they need, I don’t want to give them the right to annoy me in a restaurant, I want to give them the right not to get molested.”
Caitlin Moran – British TV Personality “No one has ever claimed for a moment that childless men have missed out on a vital aspect of their existence, and were the poorer, and crippled by it.”
Christine McVie – Singer Fleetwood Mac
Nanci Griffith – Singer, guitarist and songwriter
Bo Derek – Actress, model and animal welfare activist
Bonnie Raitt – American blues singer-songwriter
Jean Arthur – Actress and major film star during the 1930s-40s
Julie Christie – Actress and Academy Award winner, starred in Doctor Zhivago
Lily Tomlin – Actress, comedian and writer
Jaqueline Bisset – Actress
Lara Flint Boyle – Actress
Mae West – Actress and sex symbol
Jean Harlow – Actress and sex symbol
Helen Mirren – Award-winning actress
Marisa Tomei – Actress
Dusty Springfield – British pop singer
Janet Jackson – Singer, songwriter and actress
Billie Holiday – American jazz singer and songwriter
Katharine Hepburn – Actress and winner of four academy awards
Marilyn Monroe – Icon, actress, singer and model
Liza Minnelli – Actress and singer
Janis Joplin – Singer and songwriter
Stevie Nicks – Singer, member of Fleetwood Mac
Portia de Rossi – Actress
Bessie Smith – Blues singer of the 1920s and 30s
Debbie Harry – lead singer of Blondie
Pam Grier – Actress
Gloria Gaynor – Singer
Mary Pickford – Actress and co-founder of the film studio United Artists and one of the original 36 founders of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
Bettie Page – Pin-up girl
Ashley Judd – Actress, women’s rights activist “Patriarchy is not men. Patriarchy is a system in which both women and men participate. It privileges, inter alia, the interests of boys and men over the bodily integrity, autonomy, and dignity of girls and women. It is subtle, insidious, and never more dangerous than when women passionately deny that they themselves are engaging in it.”
Zooey Deschanel – On kids from a Marie Claire interview: “Don’t hold your breath waiting for Deschanel to announce a pregnancy, either. “That’s never been my focus,” she said of having children. “I like kids, and I like being around kids, but it was never an ambition, something, like, I need. I like working. That’s what I like doing. I like to work.”
Ava Gardner – Actress
Greta Garbo – Actress
Ellen Degeneres – Television host, actress and stand-up comedian
Margaret Cho – Actress, comedian, women’s rights activist and LGBT rights activist
Maria Callas – Soprano opera singer
Leah Dunham – Writer, director, actress
Kim Cattrall – Actress
Jo Frost – British nanny and television personality, better known as Supernanny
Julia Child – American chef, tv personality and author.
Rachel Ray – TV Chef
And so? There are many people both child free and not child free who have contributed to society in a meaningful way. Whether or not they have kids isn't the reason for their contributions. Their hard work and dedication is.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:02 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
No. With the exception of celibate men and women who abstain from sex to fulfill greater duties, "child-free" people do not make any contribution by the fact that they are child-free. Mothers make a very important contribution by their motherhood, and fathers by their paternity (although you could say they don't make enough in many situation, especially in the case of the latter).

After all, where would be without fathers or mothers?
So the mothers and fathers of the 402,378 abused and neglected children currently in foster care here in the U.S. have contributed to society how, exactly ?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
So the mothers and fathers of the 402,378 abused and neglected children currently in foster care here in the U.S. have contributed to society how, exactly ?
And you judge all parents by this? Do you have the stats on how many kids are not abused, neglected or in foster care? Just like I would never point to a child free person who harmed a child as proof that being a parent is somehow "better" than being child free. You shouldn't do the opposite.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Seriously? You want a pat on the back for that? I know that's probably a big thing for you as an individual, but to the world at large it's not.

Having or not having children is a personal lifestyle decision and nothing more. I really don't see what the big deal is. I'm female and I've never been pressured to have children by family or friends. Why? Because it's again -- a personal lifestyle choice that affects my life, not theirs. It just so happens that I wanted to have children, but not irresponsibly. As with anything, both of my children were planned and I was in a stable, loving relationship. If I didn't have a good foundation to provide them, then I wouldn't have any. Period.

Certain childfree people like to denigrate women who have given birth and seem to look for oneupsmanship opportunities for some reason. Is it envy that motivates some people to brew over the fact that there's no mainstream holiday for a guy or gal who chooses to not procreate? Also, MOther's day/Father's day is not always about you. I celebrated those moments with my own parents for years, the ones who decided to procreate and bring me into this earth.

I don't deserve a gold star for exercising my right to make a decision, and sorry to say, neither should childfree people.

There is a "holiday for a guy or gal who chooses to not procreate." It's called International Child-free Day and it's officially recognized by Daysoftheyear.com (https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/i...childfree-day/). I actually mentioned International Child-free Day in the very first paragraph of my post when I started this thread; here it is verbatim:

"The only child-free day that we (child-free) currently celebrate is International Child-free Day on August 1st of each year (International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men and Women Around the World). But, as a child-free woman, I think child-free women and child-free men should have their own celebratory days rather than being lumped into one celebratory day (August 1st). I think Child-free Women's Day should be celebrated on the first Sunday in June and Child-free Men's Day should be celebrated on the second Sunday in June. (Father's Day is the third Sunday in June.)"

And yesterday I posted this:

Love your idea about a Universal Aunt's day and a Universal Uncle's day, but how 'bout this: Since we (child-free) already have International Child-free Day, which is celebrated on August 1st of each year, rather than creating another child-free day – like your suggestion or mine (Child-free Women's Day and Child-free Men's Day) – child-free people who do want to celebrate International Child-free Day can do so (this is just a friendly recommendation, not a direct order or demand) by visiting child-free blogs and forums (where there's no hostility when discussing child-free issues because most if not all of the members are child-free) and wishing other child-free people a very Happy International Child-free Day, and then they can post ideas and recommendations for how to celebrate.

For example:

1. Play hooky from work (sometimes August 1st falls on a weekday – this year it falls on a Saturday).

2. Collect money from your co-workers and donate it to foster care (Ways to Help - AdoptUSKids). Has a co-worker with kids ever asked you to buy raffle tickets, candy bars, cans of popcorn, Girl Scout cookies, etc. for their kids – yes or no? It's time to repay the favor .

3. Donate money to an organization that empowers young girls, such as Girls Inc (Girls Inc. |).

4. Buy a 20-lb bag of dog food or cat food and drop it off at your local animal shelter.

5. Buy yourself a red velvet cupcake and tip the shop $20.

As stated earlier by Aztecgoddess, the possibilities are endless. So if you are child-free and you are interested in celebrating International Child-free Day by sharing your ideas and recommendations, here are a few child-free blogs and forums where you can post those ideas and recommendations:

BABY OFF BOARD -

Childfree

we're {not} having a baby!-childfree adventures in a child-centric world

Bratfree Board :: The Living Room

Childfree Voices | Connecting the childfree community

Why No Kids? - Childfree by choice and happy! Here's why...

The Childfree Life • Index page

And today I'm posting this: We do have our own "holiday," and some of us (like me) will be celebrating it regardless of how "stupid" some of you think it is. If child-free people want to celebrate their decision to be child-free, who are you to tell them that they should not celebrate their decision to be child-free?

According to Daysoftheyear.com (https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/2015/05/), today, May 20th, is Be a Millionaire Day, Pick Strawberries Day, and Weights and Measures Day. Do you have a problem with people celebrating any of those three "holidays"?

Old 05-20-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
There is a "holiday for a guy or gal who chooses to not procreate." It's called International Child-free Day and it's officially recognized by Daysoftheyear.com (https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/i...childfree-day/). I actually mentioned International Child-free Day in the very first paragraph of my post when I started this thread; here it is verbatim:

"The only child-free day that we (child-free) currently celebrate is International Child-free Day on August 1st of each year (International Childfree Day | Celebrating Childfree Men and Women Around the World). But, as a child-free woman, I think child-free women and child-free men should have their own celebratory days rather than being lumped into one celebratory day (August 1st). I think Child-free Women's Day should be celebrated on the first Sunday in June and Child-free Men's Day should be celebrated on the second Sunday in June. (Father's Day is the third Sunday in June.)"

And yesterday I posted this:

Love your idea about a Universal Aunt's day and a Universal Uncle's day, but how 'bout this: Since we (child-free) already have International Child-free Day, which is celebrated on August 1st of each year, rather than creating another child-free day – like your suggestion or mine (Child-free Women's Day and Child-free Men's Day) – child-free people who do want to celebrate International Child-free Day can do so (this is just a friendly recommendation, not a direct order or demand) by visiting child-free blogs and forums (where there's no hostility when discussing child-free issues because most if not all of the members are child-free) and wishing other child-free people a very Happy International Child-free Day, and then they can post ideas and recommendations for how to celebrate.

For example:

1. Play hooky from work (sometimes August 1st falls on a weekday – this year it falls on a Saturday).

2. Collect money from your co-workers and donate it to foster care (Ways to Help - AdoptUSKids). Has a co-worker with kids ever asked you to buy raffle tickets, candy bars, cans of popcorn, Girl Scout cookies, etc. for their kids – yes or no? It's time to repay the favor .

3. Donate money to an organization that empowers young girls, such as Girls Inc (Girls Inc. |).

4. Buy a 20-lb bag of dog food or cat food and drop it off at your local animal shelter.

5. Buy yourself a red velvet cupcake and tip the shop $20.

As stated earlier by Aztecgoddess, the possibilities are endless. So if you are child-free and you are interested in celebrating International Child-free Day by sharing your ideas and recommendations, here are a few child-free blogs and forums where you can post those ideas and recommendations:

BABY OFF BOARD -

Childfree

we're {not} having a baby!-childfree adventures in a child-centric world

Bratfree Board :: The Living Room

Childfree Voices | Connecting the childfree community

Why No Kids? - Childfree by choice and happy! Here's why...

The Childfree Life • Index page

And today I'm posting this: We do have our own "holiday," and some of us (like me) will be celebrating it regardless of how "stupid" some of you think it is. If child-free people want to celebrate their decision to be child-free, who are you to tell them that they should not celebrate their decision to be child-free?

According to Daysoftheyear.com (https://www.daysoftheyear.com/days/2015/05/), today, May 20th, is Be a Millionaire Day, Pick Strawberries Day, and Weights and Measures Day. Do you have a problem with people celebrating any of those three "holidays"?
I don't think it's stupid at all. If you want to celebrate, by all means do it and enjoy!

I do however find sites like Brat Free and terms like "breeders" to be offensive. And they are meant to offend and belittle those who choose to parent. Perhaps some people would be more accommodating to the child free if terms like this were no longer used.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I don't think it's stupid at all. If you want to celebrate, by all means do it and enjoy!

I do however find sites like Brat Free and terms like "breeders" to be offensive. And they are meant to offend and belittle those who choose to parent. Perhaps some people would be more accommodating to the child free if terms like this were no longer used.
Asking child-free people to stop using the term "breeders" to describe parents will have about the same effect as asking parents to stop using the term "selfish" to describe child-free people. It will have zero effect because each party is simply exercising their freedom of speech. Neither party is breaking the law; it is what it is.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Asking child-free people to stop using the term "breeders" to describe parents will have about the same effect as asking parents to stop using the term "selfish" to describe child-free people. It will have zero effect because each party is simply exercising their freedom of speech. Neither party is breaking the law; it is what it is.
I'm a parent and I've never used the word selfish to describe child-free people. I consider it their right to decide what is best for them and I respect it. But, I do not respect anyone (child free or otherwise) who uses terms intentionally designed to belittle and marginalize others. It may not be against the law, but it certainly reflects badly on the person who uses it and unfortunately dials up the ugliness on both sides. So, please go ahead and use whatever terms you feel "legally" entitled to use. Just don't be surprised when people quit caring what you have to say.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
No, Mother's Day and Father's Day are an opportunity for one's children to recognize them. Who would recognize child free people?
We plan to recognize each other. The fact that we didn't come out of each others' vaginas means nothing to us. On Administrative Assistants' Day, supervisors recognize their administrative assistants. The supervisors did not give birth to the administrative assistants, and the administrative assistants didn't give birth to the supervisors. So what difference does it make who recognizes whom on a particular holiday? As long as both parties are satisfied with the outcome, what difference does it make?

Old 05-20-2015, 01:35 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
We plan to recognize each other. The fact that we didn't come out of each others' vaginas means nothing to us. On Administrative Assistants' Day, supervisors recognize their administrative assistants. The supervisors did not give birth to the administrative assistants, and the administrative assistants didn't give birth to the supervisors. So what difference does it make who recognizes whom on a particular holiday? As long as both parties are satisfied with the outcome, what difference does it make?
When you first posted this I thought it was mostly a joke, because it seems like one. Seems like you have a whole ton of anger behind your child free decision. Not my place to guess the issues.

Celebrate anything you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates