Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times

Advertisements

I celebrate being childless quite often. Especially when I see a couple of children being fussy, noisy, expensive, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:44 AM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
Yes, there is nothing to celebrate. It is like I didn't play softball, so I should get a trophy for choosing not to play. If you don't want kids, fine, but it doesn't deserve a holiday or a gift.
Parenting is a choice as well, yet we celebrate it. So why not celebrate the opposite choice as well.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:35 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,251,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I think it's a great idea. You could pair it with a green effort because every less child means more oxygen for the rest of us
Not necessarily. If that child grows up to a career in restoring the rain forests or cleaning the oceans. We get a lot more oxygen from those than all possible humans could ever consume.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:37 AM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly2 View Post
I don't understand the point of having a "childfree day".
On mothers day or fathers day you get roses or wine. On child free day you can celebrate not getting any roses or wine.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I know you've posted elsewhere about your struggles with fertility and adoption so you've got a different perspective, but the "anger" you're seeing could very well be about the fact that other people can't accept that some folks are perfectly happy not having kids and that doesn't make them selfish or defective.
If someone was perfectly happy why would they be angry? Doesn't jive. If they were perfectly content others random opinions would be like water off a ducks back

Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 AM
eok

The real reason to be child free is that the Bible told us to be fruitful and multiply, but that was before calculators were invented. People simply don't need to multiply anymore.

Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,312,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Parenting is a choice as well, yet we celebrate it. So why not celebrate the opposite choice as well.
The children of the parents celebrate it. There is no one to celebrate it for the childfree, no one to buy gifts, no one to take care of them when they are old, and no one to throw them a party. It is ridiculous that some people are trying so hard to make everything politically correct and everyone equal. Not having children is fine, but why would you be jealous of a holiday for parents?

Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
The children of the parents celebrate it. There is no one to celebrate it for the childfree, no one to buy gifts, no one to take care of them when they are old, and no one to throw them a party. It is ridiculous that some people are trying so hard to make everything politically correct and everyone equal. Not having children is fine, but why would you be jealous of a holiday for parents?
I hope you do realize that having kids doesn't guarantee being taken care of in the old age. Also, the world doesn't turn around out of jealousy.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:35 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,306 times
Um... Mother's Day and Father's Day are days when kids are supposed to thank and appreciate their parents for parenting.

Who is appreciating the childless for not procreating? Isn't that kinda insulting?

"Hey Bob, thanks for not breeding. We don't need any more of your kind around here."
"Hey Tina, Happy Childless Woman Day. Thank goodness no more of your gene pool."

Old 05-21-2015, 01:48 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
I hope you do realize that having kids doesn't guarantee being taken care of in the old age. Also, the world doesn't turn around out of jealousy.
Actually, even if you don't have kids, you will in fact be taken care of by kids in your old age. It's my kids and everyone else's who will be funding Social Security and Medicare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates