Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 09:00 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Being unselfish and kind to others is kind of against human nature too, but we celebrate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 09:36 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
OMG really??? Get over your child-free self!! Mothers Day is to honor your mother, same for Fathers day. Why not have rat owners day also???
Hahahaha.

I would have to say no to the OP as well.
Not having children isn't an accomplishment.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:49 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
Anyone who feels the need to have anyone celebrate being child-free obviously needs some attention drawn to them because they feel like not having accomplished something is a special status worthy of honoring. For most women and I believe most would feel that this is very unnatural and quite contrary to normal human behavior. Wanting and having children is part of human genetics its an instinctive part of human nature survival of the fittest keeping the human race alive. So in my humble opinion the OP is contrary to human nature and therefore not anything I'd celebrate.
Eh. I dont think its unnatural. Nothing wrong with not having kids. I just don't think it makes you persecuted.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:54 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
You realise you're not the only one paying taxes, right? Nor the only one who has to listen to the screaming children? I pay taxes which pay for all sorts of things I'll never use, I sit on the plane and tolerate the misery just like everyone else. What does the state of my uterus have to do with any of that? Do you object to your taxes paying for rehab services? Because even though you never use them your interests are served by having fewer drug addicts around. Just like my interests are served by having people who can vote also be able to read and write and think critically. Just like a business' interests are served by having a decent pool of potential employees to choose from. Just like a city's interests are served by having a literate populace which can attract employers. Imagine the cost for a Big Mac if McDonalds had to spend a couple of years teaching each new hire to add and subtract and read.

Besides, have you not made the decision to live in a place with crappy schools and cheap housing? If you bought a house in a renowned school district and therefore are paying tens of thousands of dollars a year extra even though you don't need the schools, then sorry, but you're an idiot.

Money and medical care. When women have access to birth control they use it. They used to think that drop in birth rate followed from economic development, but it has now been shown that all you need to do is give them the choice. Women know that fewer, more spaced children is better, but they don't have a choice not to have sex. Give them the means to prevent babies and they seize it with both hands.

And people who decided to have children and be good parents are doing their part to make humanity better rather than washing their hands of the whole thing.
You are a very thoughtful person, WildColonial! Thank you for responding with such clarity and honesty. This is a great post!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:47 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Only if they're acting like thugs. Otherwise they're just a group of teens.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:30 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
I'd rather see Happy Second Mother mother's day instead. All those shorties in my life are deep in my pockets.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:56 AM

582 posts, read 1,118,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Celebrate whatever you want. There is an International Pancake Day, after all. But how would you celebrate? Giving a gift to yourself? Throwing a party? Okay, have at it. You could boycott Mother's and Father's Days too.
How do we plan to celebrate? People will be free to celebrate however they feel; I personally plan to celebrate by Googling "I hate being a mom," "I regret having kids," and "conspiracy of silence in motherhood" and then posting some thank you comments to all of the bold moms and brave dads for their brutal yet refreshing honesty about the ugly and unpleasant side of motherhood and fatherhood – a side that most moms and dads are too afraid, too ashamed, too embarrassed, or too image-conscious to ever tell anyone about (and with good reason).

So, I plan to celebrate by saying "Thank you" to some bold moms and brave dads because, quite frankly, their no-holds-barred brutal honesty about motherhood and fatherhood all but confirms that I made the right decision when I decided to be child-free .

Old 05-16-2015, 12:10 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Yeah I agree. So far the reasoning behind this seems very much "screw society" and not about anything positive. Like people who do have kids are the enemy who oppressed the childless, or they get more attention for being parents and there is a resentment about it. The not contributing to overpopulation thing seems to be an afterthought.
Exactly. I don't have children, but I don't feel like it's a political statement or that I deserve a pat on the back for it. I'm living my life as I see fit, as are people who chose to have children. Can't we all just get along?

Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM

404 posts, read 385,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
How do we plan to celebrate? People will be free to celebrate however they feel; I personally plan to celebrate by Googling "I hate being a mom," "I regret having kids," and "conspiracy of silence in motherhood" and then posting some thank you comments to all of the bold moms and brave dads for their brutal yet refreshing honesty about the ugly and unpleasant side of motherhood and fatherhood – a side that most moms and dads are too afraid, too ashamed, too embarrassed, or too image-conscious to ever tell anyone about (and with good reason).

So, I plan to celebrate by saying "Thank you" to some bold moms and brave dads because, quite frankly, their no-holds-barred brutal honesty about motherhood and fatherhood all but confirms that I made the right decision when I decided to be child-free .
Wow! That was rough. Why not just base your decision on what YOU want. Forget the rest of the people and their experiences/opinions and do what YOU want to do.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:13 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Ha - EVERY day without kids is a celebration for me!...seriously, when I hear kids discussing their kid issues I thank my lucky stars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates