Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM

22,333 posts, read 29,427,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Ha - EVERY day without kids is a celebration for me!...seriously, when I hear kids discussing their kid issues I thank my lucky stars!

I hear ya sista!!!! When I hear my friends complain about their kids I go home and squeeze my brat cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Having children is nothing to be worshipped for. I think a good 65% + of most children in the US are born to teens, unplanned, by some hood rat to trap a man, or because they had 5 too many drinks at a bar.

A child-Free day is by far the most noble of all days. We step lightly on the environment leaving a small footprint, and use up very few resources.

A child free tax day would be even better since we always get screwed on taxes without all of those little tax write offs running around to deliver thousands in refunds each year.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:41 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,217,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Yes, but I think we should call it "Day of the Lost" because your genetic line will end forever. It should include both those who chose not to have children and those who were unable to have children before they died. It can be a day of remembrance for all those unique combinations of genes that are--or will be--no longer part of the Human Race.
My genes have already been donated to medical and genetic research, so they will be available to help benefit mankind, more so than someone who enjoys pumping out kids that will continue to pollute our planet and drain our resources.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:17 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,907,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Exactly. I don't have children, but I don't feel like it's a political statement or that I deserve a pat on the back for it. I'm living my life as I see fit, as are people who chose to have children. Can't we all just get along?
It should be so simple but clearly, according to the posts here, it's not. I waited until my mid-thirties to have children and I wasnt a "baby person" until I had my own. I used to look at babies and say, "meh, whatever", then had my daughter and everything changed. Pregnancy CAN change people and bring out the maternal side to a woman. I never judged parents before I became one and now I don't judge childless people but the anti- parent(breeder) comments here are a bit freaky.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
My genes have already been donated to medical and genetic research, so they will be available to help benefit mankind, more so than someone who enjoys pumping out kids that will continue to pollute our planet and drain our resources.
My beautiful children are not pollution but your attitude is a bit toxic, don't ya think?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Having children is nothing to be worshipped for. I think a good 65% + of most children in the US are born to teens, unplanned, by some hood rat to trap a man, or because they had 5 too many drinks at a bar.

A child-Free day is by far the most noble of all days. We step lightly on the environment leaving a small footprint, and use up very few resources.

A child free tax day would be even better since we always get screwed on taxes without all of those little tax write offs running around to deliver thousands in refunds each year.
When we find you under your hoarded newspapers and 15 cats... we will celebrate child- free day with you! You sound like an amazing person to be with. I bet you are single too.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I hear ya sista!!!! When I hear my friends complain about their kids I go home and squeeze my brat cat
We just complain with each other because it's a woman bonding thing. That's why moms tell their birthing stories at baby showers like war veterans do when they get together. We LOVE the 'hood and sharing our stories. I am glad you have a cat to share with. Good for you!

Old 05-16-2015, 01:36 PM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
My beautiful children are not pollution but your attitude is a bit toxic, don't ya think?
Unfortunately the truth is that every human being who is not living in the woods is a big pollution producer. Our every need and especially consumption destroys the resources that we actually are dependet.

We can be beautiful and loved by our family and spouses and friends but people are destroying their food and water resources. So our beautiful children and loved ones has no anything to eat.

Seek for aluminium, seek for seeds, seek for every little thing you need to use and eat. Where it comes and what are consequences? People reject what is happening on the earth, all what matters to them is consumption, more and more and more..

Well.. If people would love their beautiful children would a water and food to be what to left them and not some alumine and plastic garbage? Is tablets, phones and cars what your grandchildren eat when people forgot to protect clean water and safe food lands to them? How about air quality, air is pretty important to kids too to live.

How it could be toxic to think best of children to make sure they would have clean water, food and air? Are not these parents and people and world fully toxic instead when people don't seem to care even their own precious children?

That is quite a conflict between love and leave nothing but death earth for them.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillinout123 View Post
Anyone who feels the need to have anyone celebrate being child-free obviously needs some attention drawn to them because they feel like not having accomplished something is a special status worthy of honoring. For most women and I believe most would feel that this is very unnatural and quite contrary to normal human behavior. Wanting and having children is part of human genetics its an instinctive part of human nature survival of the fittest keeping the human race alive. So in my humble opinion the OP is contrary to human nature and therefore not anything I'd celebrate.
Now you've gone to the opposite extreme, almost stigmatizing people who choose not to have kids. Fortunately, not everyone is driven by hormones and "genetics". Back when there was more social pressure on couples to have kids, a lot of people had kids who shouldn't have; people who didn't really want kids, and couldn't rise to the challenge of good parenting, to put it mildly. So we shouldn't knock people who opt out of childbirth and child-rearing. Still, I don't see child-free status as being something that justifies its own commemorative day.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
One of the most interesting things that happens with raising a child is that one almost relives one's own childhood. All of a sudden, we sing Sur la Pont d'Avignon (at the top of our lungs) to our children - only because we sang it when we were five years old. That's the beauty of parenting - we remember and relive our early childhood memories while trying to figure out how to raise a child. When children get older, girls (12-17) can be temperamental, and boys (14-22) can scare the crap out of anyone with their "I'm immortal" approach to life. Regardless, parenting has such moments that cannot be replicated for people that have no children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy6Sc_LnF8s
Yes, I do understand the joys of parenthood. I have a very lovely child, who is wonderful. However, my life is not my own anymore. I have to consider my child's needs as well as my own.

Child free people can be selfish and do whatever they want. Skip meals, eat frosting out of a can, drink however much they want, stay up all night by choice and sleep in, buy random things for themselves, make impulsive travel plans, watch or read r rated stuff, and have relations in the living room mid day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates