Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 05:31 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,179,752 times

Advertisements

"We have to do something" mentality. Not that "doing something" makes anything better and usually makes more problems", but that is a common way new regulations are created.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:05 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
"We have to do something" mentality. Not that "doing something" makes anything better and usually makes more problems", but that is a common way new regulations are created.
No kidding. Traffic enforcement and TSA "security" are prime examples.

Traffic laws are designed to make the legislators feel virtuous, but accomplish virtually nothing other than aiding in "policing for dollars." In other matters we pretend to be strict in law enforcement but wind up inconveniencing the general public, or worse.

In the context of a thread about an assault by a TSA agent on a wheelchair bound passenger who was left with a bloody face (link to post), I pointed out that most security is "smoke and mirrors," designed to both make us feel safe and feel virtuous by refraining from targeting people obviously at war with us. How else do we wind up with a fight between a very sick girl in a wheelchair and a TSA agent?

Similarly we are forcing the police to fight real crime with both hands tied behind their back. We are, in the process, sacrificing both law enforcement and the rights of the vast majority of the people. See also, for example, Ticket for Holding Phone While Driving.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This post is occasioned by innocuous events of the last several weeks that points to some glaring problems, all involving over-regulation. These rules and procedures are costly, inefficient and provide few benefits.

1. Security desks and entrance regulations at schools - A few days ago I went to drop a cell phone off for my son at his high school. He had called and I said I would leave it at the principal's office. I was greeted at the front door by a friendly and pleasant security guard. I had to leave it with him. We got to talking. I pointed out that back in the day I visited my high school alma mater and went right to teachers' offices, and to my old club offices. Now that would be impossible. He pointed out that there used to be all kinds of entrances and exits that people could use. Now every entrance is a cluster and a delay, all because of the one-off incident in Sandy Hook. We went centuries before Sandy Hook without such rules; are there suddenly hundreds of monsters out there that would kill children? Remember most such tragedies, such as Columbine, involve current students, not outsiders.
  2. Cell phone and texting restrictions while driving - I get that people can be distracted by such activities. But wouldn't it be better if people could alert their destination that they were running late rather than speeding?
  3. Security at office buildings - Right after 9/11 we began seeing almost all office buildings having restricted access for "security" reasons. Any reason a terrorist bent on making a statement couldn't just blow himself up anywhere he sees a line, such as a theater entrance or subway station? We have made it impossible for people such as myself, for example, who are looking for jobs to simply show up, hand in a CV and demonstrate motivation and drive. Or for spouses to surprise each other at work? Or close friends similarly? How many terror attacks are really prevented this way?
  4. Security at airports - We have made air travel cumbersome. Thus, for example, I am planning to travel to Washington, DC a few weeks from now from the New York City area. Train travel is ridiculously expensive for a trip of about 5 hours. If I take a plane, back in the day it was a shuttle that was about a one hour flight. Now, adding security time at airport, it's 3 hours. Maybe I'll just drive. Heck, gas is cheap these days. Imagine the financial impact this must be having on the air industry? It would make far more sense to do spot checking, behavioral profiling, and the random use of sky marshals. But hey, it's racist to target people at war with us.
  5. Low speed limits - See this thread (link). Low and arbitrary limits are only selectively enforced on a "shooting fish in a barrel" basis. They contribute nothing to safety since in general traffic flows at around 70 on highways, and 40 or 45 on most secondary roads.
All of these rules, and more that other think of, are annoying at best. At worst, they detract from productivity and waste valuable time and resources.
Jesus H.

Yes texting some random person in your life about you being late for some inevitably unimportant event in the scheme of things is surely more important than basic public safety.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:07 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,593,850 times
More people leads to lower and lower common denominator expressed as regulations of just about any plane of existence, besides all those people need jobs "to make a living", no matter how useless and absurd the job is. Public education really scares me. I think mankind is doomed, just think where the modern trends would lead in 100 years. That's some quite nightmarish mega totalitarian brain cell programming future lies ahead. The slaves who believe they are the freest bunch in the Universe will stop at nothing.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:39 AM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I hear you but what's the rush, OP? I have a feeling I would not want to be near you in a queue. If you are going to have these security restrictions and requirements they should have it run smoothly -- probably meaning more gates open at TSA or a better system for school safety.

The picture below is of a recent rock concert entrance line. The line was separated by gender -- males went in one line and females in another so couples and families were broken up for security screening. The men were wanded and went through much faster because they didn't have purses but then had to wait twenty minutes for their wife or date to finally make it through the women's line. There were not many complaints other than some grumbling. Many people missed the first part of the concert.

All that being said, a guy in a big SUV rolled it in front of my house a week ago because he was distracted by his iPhone and went into a ditch.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Jesus H.

Yes texting some random person in your life about you being late for some inevitably unimportant event in the scheme of things is surely more important than basic public safety.
Better to text and drive safely than weave lanes and speed because you can't reach wherever you're headed with a message that you're running late. Obviously you didn't bother to read.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I hear you but what's the rush, OP? I have a feeling I would not want to be near you in a queue. If you are going to have these security restrictions and requirements they should have it run smoothly -- probably meaning more gates open at TSA or a better system for school safety.

The picture below is of a recent rock concert entrance line. The line was separated by gender -- males went in one line and females in another so couples and families were broken up for security screening. The men were wanded and went through much faster because they didn't have purses but then had to wait twenty minutes for their wife or date to finally make it through the women's line. There were not many complaints other than some grumbling. Many people missed the first part of the concert.
Obviously you don't bother to read. I consider many o fthese "security" devices to be more theater than reality. And what about random spot checking or profiling so that every mass event doesn't turn into a cluster situation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
All that being said, a guy in a big SUV rolled it in front of my house a week ago because he was distracted by his iPhone and went into a ditch.
And what about someone who puts a cellphone on a revolving microwave tray to simulate movement for Pokemon Go? You can't cure stupidity by regulation.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:52 AM

808 posts, read 542,227 times
Quote:
.Do you seriously think that people really obey low speed limits? I just got off the Hutchinson River Parkway, which posts a 55 mph limit in my area.
A big part of the reason for some laws is that by-and-large, insurance companies are not required to pay if the victim was breaking the law. Some towns use speed limits as revenue sources, but the big-money lobbyists are the insurance companies, who will see their payouts drop as more and more of the drivers can be shown to be breaking the law.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:02 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
Quote:
Better to text and drive safely than weave lanes and speed because you can't reach wherever you're headed with a message that you're running late. Obviously you didn't bother to read.
I would say it would be better to leave earlier so you get there on time.
If you can't help leaving late, then send the text before putting your vehicle in drive.
If you get caught in traffic, use voice-to-text (works beautifully unless you have a bad accent).
If you can't use voice-to-text, use hands-free dialing and actually talk to the person you're meeting.
If you can't use voice-to-text and don't want to call, then pull over to the shoulder. You're already late, what's another 60 seconds?

No reason whatsoever to text and drive. No reason whatsoever to speed and weave.

Quote:
And what about someone who puts a cellphone on a revolving microwave tray to simulate movement for Pokemon Go? You can't cure stupidity by regulation.
That is stupid, but that guy is only hurting himself... and it wouldn't work with the game anyway. Piloting a 3000-lb missile down a crowded highway while not looking where you are going goes beyond stupid and crosses well into being criminally negligent. Hence the no-texting laws.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I would say it would be better to leave earlier so you get there on time.
If you can't help leaving late, then send the text before putting your vehicle in drive.
If you get caught in traffic, use voice-to-text (works beautifully unless you have a bad accent).
If you can't use voice-to-text, use hands-free dialing and actually talk to the person you're meeting.
If you can't use voice-to-text and don't want to call, then pull over to the shoulder. You're already late, what's another 60 seconds?

No reason whatsoever to text and drive. No reason whatsoever to speed and weave.

That is stupid, but that guy is only hurting himself... and it wouldn't work with the game anyway. Piloting a 3000-lb missile down a crowded highway while not looking where you are going goes beyond stupid and crosses well into being criminally negligent. Hence the no-texting laws.
I cannot believe the lack of pragmatism in this text. Voice to text technology is far from perfect, and much more awkward to use.

As far as your sanctimonious and smug comment about leaving early, there are many times in my area where a 10 minute trip turns into a one hour drive. Is everyone supposed to build in a one-hour cushion for a 10 minute drive to guard against a situation (happened this past Monday) where a truck slammed into the Mamaroneck Road bridge of the Hutchinson River Parkway, turning a fouir mile stretch of 55 mph highway into a parking lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates