Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,968 times

Advertisements

If burger flippers are making $15/hr, I should be paid $75/hr for having two college degrees and doing what I do.

Entry level jobs are just that, they are not meant to turn into careers. And why should a small business have to pay unskilled workers that kind of money?

If you want to make more money, get some skills, get educated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 08:26 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
Wow. I should not be surprised, but wow. You don't respect people if they are "common". I guess there are multiple realities, because that is not my reality. I think this is one of the big differences between us and why we disagree so strongly.
Actually this is universal, and you do exactly the same thing I do, whether you admit it or not. The default is to treat all new people politely and with kindness. They get that automatically with their membership in the human race. However, respect is another thing entirely. It is reserved for admirable qualities that exceed the norm. Respect requires excellence or achievement in some way. Above and beyond what is common.

From the dictionary:

Respect:

esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability: I have great respect for her judgment.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
There is no such thing as market rates no chart no list of it exists it is just a made up concept that was created so businesses can pay employees whatever they want. You do get respect for being alive that is why we as a country try to help people not just let them die off.
You seem to be very dissatisfied and unhappy with yourself. I am going to guess that you are a minimum wage and very ordinary person who is frustrated at their lot in life. I could be wrong, but that is what I am picking up on from the muted tone of bitterness that is evident in your posts.

The point of a free society is that you can change that. You are not stuck being ordinary. You are not stuck groveling with the other worker ants making minimum wage and hoping that a better life will be handed to you by a goernment edict to take property from others and hand it over to you because you need it. You can excel, make yourself proud, and lift yourself away from the bad attitude of hating others who seem to have more than you.

Give it a shot. It can't hurt. The result, if you are successful, will be respect, as in self-respect.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:47 AM

758 posts, read 1,639,842 times
What I haven't seen people really consider is that we tend to 'rise to our money.' Have you ever gotten a raise and thought "Oh, now my money problems are over!" and then a few months later still struggle to keep money at the end of the month? (or keep the same amount of money at the end of the month that you did before the raise?) These people aren't going to be magically lifted out of poverty. They are going to adjust to their new wages and still have their hands out for more.

And as far as the 'if people make more than they will spend more' argument...which is it? Are minimum wage workers not getting paid enough to buy the basics (food, rent, health insurance?), or do they just not have enough fun money? Because if it is the first, that money isn't going to increase the economy...sure there may be a landlord who finally gets paid, or the grocery store that gets an extra week's worth of groceries bought...but that isn't going to spread it around the way people think. And if it is the later (fun money...which would increase the economy more)...then these people are already getting a living wage and don't need any more.

For the whole 'minimum wage by age' thing; is the 'snot nosed teenager' who is in high school doing less of a job than the single mother of three who doesn't have a GED? My guess is no. If anything, the teenager has the odds to be the better employee because (while he has school obligations), he doesn't have constant family issues that would lead to a need to miss work. And even if it passes something along those lines. If worker A gets $8 because she lives at home and is 16, and worker B gets 10 because she is a single mother with 2 kids...does that mean worker C should get 12 because she has 4 kids? What about worker D who just wants to buy a boat?

I wouldn't be opposed to a scaled minimum wage based on requirements of the job. If the job requires no high school degree, $8/hr. If it requires a high school degree, maybe $9/hr. Associates, $10/hr. Etc. etc. And working in somwhere on that scale the jobs that require some sort of training (REAL training...the 5 minutes being taught to look at the pictures at a McDonald's cash register doesn't count) or certification or past experience.

Old 07-30-2015, 10:14 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You seem to be very dissatisfied and unhappy with yourself. I am going to guess that you are a minimum wage and very ordinary person who is frustrated at their lot in life. I could be wrong, but that is what I am picking up on from the muted tone of bitterness that is evident in your posts.

The point of a free society is that you can change that. You are not stuck being ordinary. You are not stuck groveling with the other worker ants making minimum wage and hoping that a better life will be handed to you by a goernment edict to take property from others and hand it over to you because you need it. You can excel, make yourself proud, and lift yourself away from the bad attitude of hating others who seem to have more than you.

Give it a shot. It can't hurt. The result, if you are successful, will be respect, as in self-respect.
I was going to post something but since you want to just throw out insults and not add anything to the conversation I am just going to avoid you from now on.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I was going to post something but since you want to just throw out insults and not add anything to the conversation I am just going to avoid you from now on.
I think that would be best.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:15 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,369,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Besides believing the minimum wage should NOT be raised**.....I have long felt that the minimum wage should be staggered IF it is to be "kept"

What do I mean?

I don't think it is fair for a snot-nosed HS kid to be working side by side with a 25 year old mother of two on the fast food line for the same wages.

The HS student, who lives with mommy and daddy/mommy/daddy/grandmother or whomever, most likely has food, shelter, utilities all paid for my the adult guardian they live with. Even if they give half their earnings to the guardian for "keep" they still have the bills paid.

The college student paying for college or living expenses while in college should be paid higher than the HS student, who has no tuition or books to buy. They ALSO could be living with a guardian who pays the bills, too, or who pays entirely for college. So they should get more than the HS student, but less than the full majority adult.

The adult of 'prime majority' should be paid higher than the HS or college kid. As It is generally assumed by age 21{+} they should be 'on their own two feet', paying gall their bills.

Therefore: I propose the following:

~The HS kid, or those under age 18 get paid, say, the current Federal minimum of $7.25/hour.
~those 18-20 years old get, say, the federal minimum Plus, say an extra dollar for $8.25 hour,whether in college or not.
~The 21 and over category should be paid, say, the minimum plus $2 or $9.25/hour.

The states/cities who want to raise it above the federal rates, will have to adjust their rates by the same margins as the federal model.

This COULD have added benefits: the HS and college kids may get hired more as it is "cheaper for the business' to hire/pay them, reducing the teen unemployment and allowing that age group to gain some real work experience. That area may be lacking according to some reports.

The full majority adult {those 2 and over} who assumably is on their own will get paid more than the snot-nosed HS-er whose basic bills are paid for.

It SHOULD not disrupt the 21 and over job market, as those businesses will NEED non-HS, Non-college workers as well, so they will have to hire the 21 and over group.

JSut an idea that I think could hold a LOT of water,improve the lives it touches, and makes it tolerable for businesses.

If this idea "has no merit" to some ,** then the minimum should NOT be raised, and when people will no longer work for sub-sub-par wages, the businesses will HAVE to pay a wage higher than the outdated low minimum, that is, a more livable wage for the area.

People should get the same pay for the same work. My ex's kid was cut loose by his dad before he turned 18. He's on his own now. Adult life doesn't just start for some people at 21.

Moreover, your argument is one of the same ones given for not paying women an equal wage to men in the 50s, 60s and even the 70s. "Well they're not the main breadwinner."

And I'd say that if a high schooler is holding down a job, they're not at all "snot-nosed."

Old 07-30-2015, 06:27 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
It amazes me that the argument of many on here is, "my wage won't go up, so I don't want it to go up for anyone."

Even though when minimum wage rises it tends to have an inflationary effect on all hourly wages. When minimum wage goes up, for a period of about two years the purchasing power of American workers increases.

Wages have stagnated vs. inflation for the last 35 years. The only tool we have against that IS raising the minimum wage. Prior to the 1980s when purchasing power was better - minimum wage tended to go up about every 3 years. It more or less tracked inflation.

I don't think a lot of you understand the what kind of monetary system we have. WE DO NOT HAVE A GOLD STANDARD! Do you get that??? You seem to think your dollars are worth something in and of themselves. No, no no! Your dollars have relative value only. We have an inflationary money system based on nothing and the fed produces more money all the time. If wages do not inflate we lose out! That's why minimum wages should be indexed to inflation - then it would automatically adjust.

We can either raise interest rates and reduce the amount of money in circulation to make our wages worth more or we can inflate wages to keep up with the Fed's constant inflation. Otherwise, we're in a lose-lose situation. A lot of you seem really committed to letting your wage stay at the same rate which is basically a pay cut!

I also think a lot of you over-estimate the effect a minimum wage hike would have. Raising it from $7.25 to somewhere in the $9.00 range would do nothing because few workers are actually making bare minimum and a good 20 or so states already have higher minimums. In my experience, even in retail and fast food - bare minimum gets paid to temps only. Everyone else makes more than minimum.

Raising to the $10.00 range would catch us up with basic inflation over the last 15-20 years. Raising it to $11 would put us where we should be which is 1960s level purchasing power.

$15 would be too high too fast unless it was a gradual move to $15 over 10 or so years.

Last edited by redguard57; 07-30-2015 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It amazes me that the argument of many on here is, "my wage won't go up, so I don't want it to go up for anyone."

Even though when minimum wage rises it tends to have an inflationary effect on all hourly wages. When minimum wage goes up, for a period of about two years the purchasing power of American workers increases.

Wages have stagnated vs. inflation for the last 35 years. The only tool we have against that IS raising the minimum wage. Prior to the 1980s when purchasing power was better - minimum wage tended to go up about every 3 years. It more or less tracked inflation.

I don't think a lot of you understand the what kind of monetary system we have. WE DO NOT HAVE A GOLD STANDARD! Do you get that??? You seem to think your dollars are worth something in and of themselves. No, no no! Your dollars have relative value only. We have an inflationary money system based on nothing and the fed produces more money all the time. If wages do not inflate we lose out! That's why minimum wages should be indexed to inflation - then it would automatically adjust.

We can either raise interest rates and reduce the amount of money in circulation to make our wages worth more or we can inflate wages to keep up with the Fed's constant inflation. Otherwise, we're in a lose-lose situation. A lot of you seem really committed to letting your wage stay at the same rate which is basically a pay cut!

I also think a lot of you over-estimate the effect a minimum wage hike would have. Raising it from $7.25 to somewhere in the $9.00 range would do nothing because few workers are actually making bare minimum and a good 20 or so states already have higher minimums. In my experience, even in retail and fast food - bare minimum gets paid to temps only. Everyone else makes more than minimum.

Raising to the $10.00 range would catch us up with basic inflation over the last 15-20 years. Raising it to $11 would put us where we should be which is 1960s level purchasing power.

$15 would be too high too fast unless it was a gradual move to $15 over 10 or so years.
Again with the preposterous floating argument that presumes that it is correct in a free country to use the police power of the state to order one person to pay another person a price-fixed wage. It is absolutely pathetic the level of education in this country, and the complete absence of philosophical principles.

Nobody, except me, is arguing the morality or correctness or justice of a minimum wage. Y'all just assume its propriety and make idiotic disconnected arguments about how much it should be. Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. While freedom and a correct way of life is decimated and destroyed.

I can fault the public education system for producing generations of utter retards who don't know or care what freedom means or why it's important. You people just don't seem to know any better, because the State schools have indoctrinated a statist mentality, and crushed your ability to think critically.

Just a bunch of damnable sheep swallowing the collectivist party line. Of course it's OK to steal other people's money. Why not? They're all evil for earning it in the first place! We are so doomed.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:12 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Again with the preposterous floating argument that presumes that it is correct in a free country to use the police power of the state to order one person to pay another person a price-fixed wage. It is absolutely pathetic the level of education in this country, and the complete absence of philosophical principles.

Nobody, except me, is arguing the morality or correctness or justice of a minimum wage. Y'all just assume its propriety and make idiotic disconnected arguments about how much it should be. Rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. While freedom and a correct way of life is decimated and destroyed.

I can fault the public education system for producing generations of utter retards who don't know or care what freedom means or why it's important. You people just don't seem to know any better, because the State schools have indoctrinated a statist mentality, and crushed your ability to think critically.

Just a bunch of damnable sheep swallowing the collectivist party line. Of course it's OK to steal other people's money. Why not? They're all evil for earning it in the first place! We are so doomed.
Fortunately, and despite all the anti-Republican rhetoric spewed by the mainstream press, Republicans are in fact in the majority. The majority of state legislatures and governors are now Republican, the Senate has gone Republican, and the House is firmly Republican.

The liberals cling to Barack Obama as their Great Leader, but he's gone in less than a year and a half, and there will be a new, more moderate President. It could be Hillary, it could be Jeb, or one of the others, or even Jim Webb who is a pro-gun pro-military moderate Democrat (my favorite among the Dems actually).

But we'll not have another one like Obama for a long, long time, I think; he was an overreaction to G.W. Bush and even the left wing Democrats realize that he lost the Congress with his terrible leadership and extremism.

So I doubt the Titanic is going to sink just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates