Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times

Advertisements

No - too easily biased by whoever is testing. We're so concerned now about corruption that we put into place onerous ID requirements...but now we'd be putting something in place where bias could be VERY easily manipulated toward particular candidates. Unnecessary, expensive, unreliable and corruptible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 03:37 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,959 times
Actually a more realistic way to do this, in a manner that doesn't infringe upon people's rights AT ALL, would be voting via blank ballot. You get into the booth with a blank piece of paper (or blank electronic screen), and you write the name of the person for whom you are voting. It means that you will have had to at least know the person's name instead of voting straight red or blue.

I'd be interested to see how anyone can argue that this method would restrict anyone's rights. Granted, it would make the less-important elections administratively difficult, but at least for president you should be able to write the name of the person running.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:38 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,990,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Actually a more realistic way to do this, in a manner that doesn't infringe upon people's rights AT ALL, would be voting via blank ballot. You get into the booth with a blank piece of paper (or blank electronic screen), and you write the name of the person for whom you are voting. It means that you will have had to at least know the person's name instead of voting straight red or blue.

I'd be interested to see how anyone can argue that this method would restrict anyone's rights. Granted, it would make the less-important elections administratively difficult, but at least for president you should be able to write the name of the person running.
That will solve all our problems.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Then should candidates be required to be honest as to their agendas?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Know the candidates stance on the issues? How does that happen? I can listen to any politician talk for an hour without actually saying anything. How am I to guess what he stands for?

In oregon we have Mail-in ballots and online voter rdgistration. The election goes to the party who is the fastest in getting Mickie Mouse and Yosemite Sam registered to vote. I think it would be much better to have a physical polling place and then at least the people who vote care enough to get into their car and go down and vote. And have their ID checked so they can only vote once and undocumented aliens can't vote.

Unfortunately, the opportunity to have English the official language of the usa has passed decades ago. Because I'd prefer to see ballots in English.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,097,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Know the candidates stance on the issues? How does that happen? I can listen to any politician talk for an hour without actually saying anything. How am I to guess what he stands for?

In oregon we have Mail-in ballots and online voter rdgistration. The election goes to the party who is the fastest in getting Mickie Mouse and Yosemite Sam registered to vote. I think it would be much better to have a physical polling place and then at least the people who vote care enough to get into their car and go down and vote. And have their ID checked so they can only vote once and undocumented aliens can't vote.

Unfortunately, the opportunity to have English the official language of the usa has passed decades ago. Because I'd prefer to see ballots in English.
Are your ballots NOT in English?

Old 08-26-2015, 07:31 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

So what do you think? Is such a thing (weeding out the uninformed and keeping them from voting) possible to achieve? And if it is, should it be used?
In what alternative universe do you reside? Hell, the dead vote in Chicago and we cant even fix the issues of illegal immigrants, militant Muslim Terrorism, black on black crime, schools, the economy, need I say more?

I am so glad I at my stage of life and not my grand children's. I cannot even imagine what kind of life my great great great grand children will have, if the have an existence at all

Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM

1,589 posts, read 1,184,930 times
Voters do not understand the issues. They also don't understand that the candidates do not understand the issues either. The people who do understand and end up running the show are staffers, lobbyists, and some percentage of rule-making bureaucrats.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
No. You are either eligible to vote or you are not.

Our representatives in Congress do not read and understand the bills they vote on. It's hardly fair to hold the average voter to a higher standard.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times
It would certainly be time-consuming and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates