Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:05 AM

794 posts, read 818,152 times

Advertisements

With the new buzzword being "mental health" lately, what does the new vision of everyone obtaining mental health services actually look like?

1- Is it mandatory to be screened?

(a) If so, how often?

(b) What are the penalties for non compliance?

(c) Who enforces?

(d) What are mental health screeners required to report, and to whom?

2- Is there a central data base regarding your mental health that is searchable to all government personnel and some private sector personnel?

3- As is the current standard in many mental health professions (psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers etc), will those opposed to the general medicating of those who are not seriously mentally ill, as well as children for behavioral control, be labeled themselves as mentally ill?

(a) Will those who choose a lifestyle that is not mainstream, ie; people who reject 2.5 kids, 30 year mortgage, a career etc be labeled as mentally ill?

(b) Will those who distrust the government be labeled as mentally ill?

(c) Will those who distrust media, corporations and banks be labeled as mentally ill?

Last edited by Mr. Maryland; 10-04-2015 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 10:03 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
I have only met 2 psychiatrists, both were a bit strange. I was not a patient.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,764 times
This makes sense! However, aside from being a newbie here, only few answer I can only provide or even share you some thoughts. Changes in brain chemistry from part abuse or changes in diet can also cause mental disorders. Psychological factors and environmental factors such as upbringing and social exposure can form the foundations for harmful thought patterns associated with mental disorders.

Old 10-05-2015, 12:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
With the new buzzword being "mental health" lately, what does the new vision of everyone obtaining mental health services actually look like?

1- Is it mandatory to be screened?

(a) If so, how often?

(b) What are the penalties for non compliance?

(c) Who enforces?

(d) What are mental health screeners required to report, and to whom?

2- Is there a central data base regarding your mental health that is searchable to all government personnel and some private sector personnel?

3- As is the current standard in many mental health professions (psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers etc), will those opposed to the general medicating of those who are not seriously mentally ill, as well as children for behavioral control, be labeled themselves as mentally ill?

(a) Will those who choose a lifestyle that is not mainstream, ie; people who reject 2.5 kids, 30 year mortgage, a career etc be labeled as mentally ill?

(b) Will those who distrust the government be labeled as mentally ill?

(c) Will those who distrust media, corporations and banks be labeled as mentally ill?

Addressing the first question in your post:
Mislabeling everything from a life problem to a difference as a 'mental illness' or 'disorder' -> psych. meds. And in many instances- especially adults- it continues on to -> SSDI.

Bad enough, but it hits kids, too.
Example: "Teen Screen" = student fills out a questionnaire (often without parental consent) = psych. meds. The founder of this organization went as far as to state that at least 84% of the teens who have been diagnosed in this manner do not in fact have any mental illnesses.
Example: Infants are also targeted. They expect people to believe newborns can be 'psychotic,' 'depressed,' etc.

It is not new, but it's expanding.
A study of children in Ohio came up with this:
psychiatric drugs had been prescribed to "more than 39,000" children.
Even more outrageous, 740 of those children were three years old and under.
This included antidepressant drugs for thirty children, anti-anxiety drugs for 575 children-- and 109 children on anti-psychotic drugs.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:26 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
In my dating days I went out with 2 women who were psychology majors in college and worked in that field and they were both NUTS.
In the mental health field it is sometimes tough to distinguish the Doctor to the patient.

The OP suggest that the new Buzzword is "Mental Health" which no doubt has to do with the recent mass shooting in Oregon. The over prescribing of mind altering drugs is a huge problem especially when junior forgets to take his meds...

Mental Health means different things to different people but to a true Liberal the fact that anyone would want to own a gun is a sure sign of mental illness.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:24 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Interesting perspective. I can't think of one conservative who does not own a few guns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
In my dating days I went out with 2 women who were psychology majors in college and worked in that field and they were both NUTS.
In the mental health field it is sometimes tough to distinguish the Doctor to the patient.

The OP suggest that the new Buzzword is "Mental Health" which no doubt has to do with the recent mass shooting in Oregon. The over prescribing of mind altering drugs is a huge problem especially when junior forgets to take his meds...

Mental Health means different things to different people but to a true Liberal the fact that anyone would want to own a gun is a sure sign of mental illness.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:50 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Haha

I used to work for a company who employed agencies who specialized in this, to ensure they hired the Right Candidate.

Without fail, they hired a Person Incredibly Ill Suited to the Job, and Almost Always Outright Crazy.

It was something of a joke - oh no! the consultants are here again! What will we get THIS time???

Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Interesting perspective. I can't think of one conservative who does not own a few guns.
I can, but that's beside the point. Who's going to do these screenings?

Old 10-14-2015, 09:34 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
There is a huge potential for abuse of a "mental health" screening system. Who makes the standards? There are a lot of people out there that are taking anti depressant/ anti anxiety drugs that aren't plumb loco. Could be they hit a rough patch, divorce can do some funny things to people, or maybe the death of a loved one. Does being on a.certain medication disqualify one as "sane". Idk...I just see this as fraught with hazards.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:49 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Just what are we talking about? What Mental Health Screenings? Did I miss something?

Are we talking about implementing such screenings, or are they already in place?

Just what is going on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates