Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:17 PM

773 posts, read 787,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Something like 92 percent of Americans have a positive view of the armed forces, yet it's OK to hate the government, the police, doctors, lawyers, even though we need them just as much as we need soldiers.

I realize some people in the military commit acts of heroism and we need a military (albeit not nearly as large and expensive as the one we have now) but why is it that having a negative opinion of the institution is considered blasphemy nowadays?

Before Desert Storm in 1990, there wasn't this same universal adoration for the armed forces. The respect people have for the armed forces goes beyond a healthy appreciation for people doing a vital job and borders on worship. People get a fuzzy feeling and are irrationally reverent of anyone in a uniform. Even liberals and peaceniks stop short of criticizing the wars and the armed forces themselves, even if they are against the purpose of the war, they will still support the war because of their adoration for the soldiers.

My opinion of the military is not as negative as it used to be, as I realize they do serve a purpose. But it's weird how there's no debate that they are a force for good. We don't hold them to the same scrutiny we hold other equally important professions that have power of life and death.

Do people secretly hunger for military rule? Considering people trust the military way more than the government and police, I wouldn't be surprised if many people would embrace martial law. Is the cultural atmosphere in America during the past quarter century more militaristic than it used to be?
When we were in Viet Nam, we had the draft. Our soldiers came home and many immediately removed their uniforms because they knew they would be vilified. The military industrial complex didn't need to put on a good face because they just pulled kids out of their life and sent them into battle.

When the draft was abolished, that image had to be changed. They spent a lot of money changing the image of war and part of that was to honor our soldiers.

I often get mad about the treatment soldiers coming back from Nam received. I guess that memory will never fade away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 07:24 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
As a Brit and non military I've got huge respect for the armed forces and the brave men and women that serve in them. Infact along with the medical profession there's no one I respect more.

Ive lost friends that I've worked with and even went school with in Afghanistan, and knowing this the fact I didn't enlist when I was 16 is still my biggest regret in life.

Best of the best and more power to them

Old 10-30-2015, 09:56 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,462,026 times
I think the auto-phrase of "Thank you for your service," said upon meeting anyone who says they were in the military is causing true bravery to be lost in the shuffle.

On a similar subject, I found a picture badge of my grandmother that demonstrated she was a true "Rosie the Riveter" in the most popular war of all. She contributed a lot, but I'll bet no one ever said TYFYS to her. And I'm sure that was fine with her!

Old 10-30-2015, 11:05 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let me ask you this:

If we didn't have a military, what do you think would happen to this country?

I don't mind if people are critical as long as their criticism is over something legitimate. Hating on wars, and why we go where we go...the soldiers weren't the ones who made that decision, they are simply following the orders. Don't hate on the people who are following the orders, take your issue up with the people who voted to go to war...and that includes DEMOCRATS and Republicans.
When did I ever argue that we didn't need a military? Nobody in their right mind would advocate that. You're right, the soldiers aren't the ones that made the decisions, but they did volunteer to join and they are the ones performing the actions overseas. "Just following orders" wasn't an excuse 70 years ago and it isn't an excuse today. However you are right in that the politicians share more of the blame, though they're seldom held accountable. Another thing, funny how some say military personnel are courageous for being in the military, yet at the same time say they have "no choice" when it comes time to fight, therefore are absolved of responsibility when it comes to wars we arguably shouldn't be involved in. If you have "no choice" in that you have to fight how would that be courageous since you don't chose to fight but are "forced" to fight? Just pointing out the flawed logic a lot of people who worship the military have.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I am a child of two retired USAF parents and I don't have a positive overall opinion of the military industrial complex. A lot of people join the military because of some pride in the US but let's be honest. The majority join because the military provides the fastest route to a steady job and benefits and a chance for many to escape a poor existence in poverty. Both my parents joined because there was no steady economic opportunities in the respective rural communities they grew up in.

I would never speak negatively about anyone who joins the military, no matter what their motivation was because when they join, they know they could potentially be putting themselves in harms way, no matter what job they get in the military. The military chef could be in danger in Afghanistan if enemy fire breaks into a military reservation. Admin staff could be in danger if terrorists decide to attack a military base.

My negative opinion of the military complex has more to do with Washington and the obscene amount of spending for the military as well as the attitude that our military should be the world police instead of a national defense against direct threats against us. Of course, if that spending stopped areas like my hometown in SE Virginia which are heavily dependent on military spending would die.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:40 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,533,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I am a child of two retired USAF parents and I don't have a positive overall opinion of the military industrial complex. A lot of people join the military because of some pride in the US but let's be honest. The majority join because the military provides the fastest route to a steady job and benefits and a chance for many to escape a poor existence in poverty. Both my parents joined because there was no steady economic opportunities in the respective rural communities they grew up in.

I would never speak negatively about anyone who joins the military, no matter what their motivation was because when they join, they know they could potentially be putting themselves in harms way, no matter what job they get in the military. The military chef could be in danger in Afghanistan if enemy fire breaks into a military reservation. Admin staff could be in danger if terrorists decide to attack a military base.

My negative opinion of the military complex has more to do with Washington and the obscene amount of spending for the military as well as the attitude that our military should be the world police instead of a national defense against direct threats against us. Of course, if that spending stopped areas like my hometown in SE Virginia which are heavily dependent on military spending would die.
Top post mate

Didn't you fancy joining up?

I'm nearly 31 now and fell too old for it but again that's my biggest regret in life not joining up.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:53 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,059,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Huh?

WW1 = Dem POTUS

WW2 - Dem POTUS

Korea - Dem POTUS

Vietnam - Dem POTUS lied to get us in

Iraq 1 - GOP POTUS

Iraq 2 / Afghanistan - GOP POTUS

Afghanistan now - Dem POTUS

Libya - Dem POTUS

Drone Wars - Dem POTUS

Not even addressing the involvement (or lack) of Congress. I'm not seeing how the military is used solely or even primarily by conservatives as a political tool.
Excellent response! There are some (left wing, right wing, whatever) who will continue their ridiculous fallacious rants just because they enjoy stirring the pot.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:37 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
I'm a veteran and I wish people would stop "thanking" me "for my service".

Why? Because it's just a trained response at this point, fully Pavlovian, and very very few people sincerely mean it.

While I was glad to do it at the time and made two trips to the desert and saved a good chunk of change, it was all for naught: I came home to a horrendous job market and a housing market where rents were skyrocketing. But here's the kicker: I couldn't use the money I saved for a (could've been several) down payment on a house because loans weren't available either. That's what's disgusting. I lost my wife due to the stresses of the housing situation and paying 60% of my income in rent, I don't even blame her for leaving. I forgive her, please forgive her. Forgive me too.

Is it any wonder I support hanging the bankers who really run this country? Lets face it the politicians are just for show. At the end of the day we're told to support Israel...OR ELSE. How dare you question "our greatest ally".

I was with you until you dragged Israel into it.

Sorry, I don't give a **** about your personal life and lack of job skills and bad credit. That's not Israel's fault. It's also not "the bankers" fault.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:45 AM

1,973 posts, read 2,275,892 times
#1 often when people cut and paste it will showed up in non standard font and size..There by hinting at the fact that the words were not the authors own thoughts. #2. No One Has Fought for OUR Freedom since WWII #3.Rape pillage and plunder is laughable.. Enter Rambo and the Expendables hahaha #4. Green Pease seen as eco terrorist nothing is farther from the truth. Eco Terrorism against the military? ..Folks if you rely on Faux News and Crazy Far Right Blogs for your information ? YOUR in need of sever Medication.. The Military is glamorized to attract warm bodies... Lots of Rambo Wanna Bees etc etc .. The Reality is we end up with a lot of abu ghraib participants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I am ex-military and while I loved my time and fully support the troops, I can understand why people would not like the military.

Some people simply don’t believe in war and that if someone wants to invade you, rape, pillage, plunder and enslave… you simply say “welcome”. The idea being that total pacifism and nonviolent resistance is how lives should be lived and that by doing so you win people over to your way of thinking. While I may fully disagree with that point of view, I can sort of respect it.
out there .. IIn reality we end up with
The sad thing is that those people take for granted their very freedoms provided to them by the military.

The one area I will take exception to is domestic terrorism against the military. That was more prevalent in the 70’s and 80’s. With eco-terrorist groups like Green Peace… I wonder if it will start up again by others.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:37 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,050,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I was with you until you dragged Israel into it.

Sorry, I don't give a **** about your personal life and lack of job skills and bad credit. That's not Israel's fault. It's also not "the bankers" fault.

Oh I have fantastic credit. I've paid every bill I've ever had in full and early my whole adult life. Just wish I had not gotten out of service into a horrendous job/housing market that that A.) boomers, and B.) the Fed, created. And aren't veterans supposed to be awesome just for being veterans? At least that's what I was told/taught before going in and during the entire time I was there and for long after.

But keep kowtowing to Israel. That country is an enormous thorn in America's side, but the majority are brainwashed into thinking otherwise. Really what reason do we have for supporting them? And as far as homes go I sure know I wouldn't like mine bulldozed.

I know I sure wouldn't like having a checkpoint built from every village to the next. I know I wouldn't like having my well poisoned or have one of those pesky walls built between my home and the field in which I grow crops or graze my animals. Would you? Seems like you'd be content with those sorts of things. They never even did that in South Africa under apartheid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates