Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 04:03 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,285,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Something like 92 percent of Americans have a positive view of the armed forces, yet it's OK to hate the government, the police, doctors, lawyers, even though we need them just as much as we need soldiers.

I realize some people in the military commit acts of heroism and we need a military (albeit not nearly as large and expensive as the one we have now) but why is it that having a negative opinion of the institution is considered blasphemy nowadays?

Before Desert Storm in 1990, there wasn't this same universal adoration for the armed forces. The respect people have for the armed forces goes beyond a healthy appreciation for people doing a vital job and borders on worship. People get a fuzzy feeling and are irrationally reverent of anyone in a uniform. Even liberals and peaceniks stop short of criticizing the wars and the armed forces themselves, even if they are against the purpose of the war, they will still support the war because of their adoration for the soldiers.

My opinion of the military is not as negative as it used to be, as I realize they do serve a purpose. But it's weird how there's no debate that they are a force for good. We don't hold them to the same scrutiny we hold other equally important professions that have power of life and death.

Do people secretly hunger for military rule? Considering people trust the military way more than the government and police, I wouldn't be surprised if many people would embrace martial law. Is the cultural atmosphere in America during the past quarter century more militaristic than it used to be?
I know it's scary when people become too fanatical about their military. I see them at sporting events and I just roll my eyes and cringe. Has nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with the political BS behind the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2015, 11:44 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,992,779 times
I think the military is over resourced. The members are a reflection on American society---most good a few bad. maybe it's because the military supports all of America and has members from all of America.

Old 11-16-2015, 07:32 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,308,542 times
Quote:
Something like 92 percent of Americans have a positive view of the armed forces, yet it's OK to hate the government, the police, doctors, lawyers, even though we need them just as much as we need soldiers.

I realize some people in the military commit acts of heroism and we need a military (albeit not nearly as large and expensive as the one we have now) but why is it that having a negative opinion of the institution is considered blasphemy nowadays?

Before Desert Storm in 1990, there wasn't this same universal adoration for the armed forces. The respect people have for the armed forces goes beyond a healthy appreciation for people doing a vital job and borders on worship. People get a fuzzy feeling and are irrationally reverent of anyone in a uniform. Even liberals and peaceniks stop short of criticizing the wars and the armed forces themselves, even if they are against the purpose of the war, they will still support the war because of their adoration for the soldiers.

My opinion of the military is not as negative as it used to be, as I realize they do serve a purpose. But it's weird how there's no debate that they are a force for good. We don't hold them to the same scrutiny we hold other equally important professions that have power of life and death.

Do people secretly hunger for military rule? Considering people trust the military way more than the government and police, I wouldn't be surprised if many people would embrace martial law. Is the cultural atmosphere in America during the past quarter century more militaristic than it used to be?
Nobody is above criticism. This includes the Military.

Besides, I just don't see the culture of not questioning the Military. There is a culture of praising individual soldiers but I never met anyone who was angry when someone questioned the mental capacity of top brass.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Nobody is above criticism. This includes the Military.

Besides, I just don't see the culture of not questioning the Military. There is a culture of praising individual soldiers but I never met anyone who was angry when someone questioned the mental capacity of top brass.
What I mean is that people will make blanket statements like "I hate cops" or even "I hate medical doctors" yet if you say "I hate soldiers" Americans will almost invariably be extremely offended.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:05 AM

12,400 posts, read 8,183,617 times
Quote:
What I mean is that people will make blanket statements like "I hate cops" or even "I hate medical doctors" yet if you say "I hate soldiers" Americans will almost invariably be extremely offended.
People can make a case about being in contact with their local cops or the local health care industry failing them in someway. However there is a firewall between them and the military most will have no contact at all with the military so a hate emotion is not being sparked by a random PFC GI Joe but rather from the political leadership

Old 11-17-2015, 06:41 AM

369 posts, read 193,994 times
Because the American population has a large number of folks who find thinking unnatural.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:08 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,935,337 times
Just having the military and all its equipment and destructive power is part of what keeps you safe. These people are not paid a lot considering they are potentially putting their lives on the line, and many have given their lives. Many spend months at a time away from home and their families. OP, learn to have some respect for people who sacrifice so much to keep you safe.

If the military is misused by our government, and it is, then its not their fault, but the fault of the commander in Chief.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:33 AM

551 posts, read 583,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Just having the military and all its equipment and destructive power is part of what keeps you safe. These people are not paid a lot considering they are potentially putting their lives on the line, and many have given their lives. Many spend months at a time away from home and their families. OP, learn to have some respect for people who sacrifice so much to keep you safe.

If the military is misused by our government, and it is, then its not their fault, but the fault of the commander in Chief.
Yes.

Sheesh is the question for real? How can you complain about your safety? These men and women put their lives on the line in ways that most of us can't even begin to imagine. Even if physically unharmed, so many come back from battle with psychological wounds, they will live with the rest of their lives. How many other professions have to deal with that? Law Enforcement is the closest, but at least they get to go home to their families and friends after each shift. Why do the reasons why they join matter?

Can you imagine being separated from your loved ones for a year at a time, possibly multiple tours, and all the carnage and horror they encounter? And on the flip side, can you imagine going about your daily life, living every day in fear of an attack, maybe your hometown will be invaded, maybe a bomb will fall on your child's school? NO? Well count your blessings and thank YOUR service members.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 AM

13,330 posts, read 7,368,140 times
The current conflict with ISIS is not because of Bush it is much more because of Hillary Clinton and Obama. Hilary pushed the UN to use the Nato forces to kill off gadhafi gave the impression to the protesters of Syria that she would do the same there they went out and challenged Assad. This time the Russians stopped her and they were crushed a civil war started up. This led the way to ISIS so yes the Dems are way more responsible for ISIS then Bush is.

One thing I don't like in the military is the lobby connection between the top brass and defense companies. That is how we end up with $1000 ash trays that are mil spec. Mil-spec Hammer that cost $100 at the same time our Humvee are broken down junk because the company that built them popped up out of know where due to some kind of back room deal made with top brass of the military. I remember a friend i grew up with his father retired officer from the AF he went on to work at about 5 different defense companies to lobby the AF.

Isolationism never worked bad idea.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:23 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,586,934 times
Quote:
Blanket statements are often ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates