Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:39 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,179,394 times

Advertisements

This is a great way to justify drug/alcohol addiction. I.e., by saying that some people who try drugs/alcohol for the first time become dependent on them immediately, as if there's no way to stop yourself from becoming an addict/alcoholic - which I don't believe. That's a great way to excuse bad behavior. Screw that. If you're a junkie/boozer out there looking for money so you can get your next fix, don't expect money or sympathy from me.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 11-07-2015 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 03:50 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
This is a great way to justify drug/alcohol addiction. I.e., by saying that some people who try drugs/alcohol for the first time become dependent on them immediately, as if there's no way to stop yourself from becoming an addict/alcoholic - which I don't believe. That's a great way to excuse bad behavior. Screw that. If you're a junkie/boozer out there looking for money so you can get your next fix, don't expect money or sympathy from me.
Show me where it says that anyone becomes addicted "the first time they try it".

Old 11-07-2015, 08:23 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,487,655 times
I'm sorry about the misspelling in post#20, PoppySead! (Someone just pointed it out to me anonymously.)

I'm legally blind and can't always see the letters clearly, so I beg your pardon and ask your forgiveness. My eyes grow worse as the day goes on, so I'm not too bad at the starting gate, but like everyone else, my bits 'n' pieces don't work as well near sign off time.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Show me where it says that anyone becomes addicted "the first time they try it".
I didn't say it or imply it - the article that you yourself quoted did. The article stated that people that try alcohol/narcotics become dependent; my interpretation of this is that they become dependent right after trying alcohol/narcotics.

My point is that the article seems to excuse drug addicts/alcoholics by implying that they become dependent shortly after becoming users - i.e., that they "can't help it". Nonsense. As far as I'm concerned if you think you're going to become dependent, then don't use in the first place. Also, people are dependent for years but then go into rehab (or try something else) and break the cycle. In other words, as far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for this.

Last edited by The Big Lebowski Dude; 11-08-2015 at 01:20 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 01:36 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
I didn't say it or imply it - the article that you yourself quoted did. The article stated that people that try alcohol/narcotics become dependent; my interpretation of this is that they become dependent right after trying alcohol/narcotics.

My point is that the article seems to excuse drug addicts/alcoholics by implying that they become dependent shortly after becoming users - i.e., that they "can't help it". Nonsense. As far as I'm concerned if you think you're going to become dependent, then don't use in the first place. Also, people are dependent for years but then go into rehab (or try something else) and break the cycle. In other words, as far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for this.
So you never did anything stupid when you were a teenager? I sure did, I tried drugs, quite a few different ones and I tried them more than once. I also got absolutely smashed on alcohol more than once and smoked my share of cigarettes. But I didn't develop a dependency on any of them. I'm now retired and have grandkids. I drink a glass of wine about once a week with dinner, I don't smoke, I don't use any drugs. I consider myself lucky, I apparently don't have a high risk for addiction. But I do have empathy for those who are addicted.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:37 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,879,322 times
I can only speak for our area of North Carolina (Western Carolina) where one trificta of Brevard Hendersonville to Asheville has only a 5% vacancy rate for rentals and those available are too expensive.Housing is simply a gridlock with prices 45% inflated and nothing moving. For a lower to middle income couple attempting to settle here you beter pitch a tent . Your not going anywhare !! The bougious retiries have staked out the majority of all available realestate. At the end of the day service people living on the edge economically quickly find themselves at the Missions and food banks ,dealing in drugs or decinergration of families relegated to find relatives to put them up. The ol' sell the car and the Harley and ride a bike to the food bank (how fun it is to ride on the one horse open 1960 Schwinn in the rain and the bougois unable to see you)!!!!!

Last edited by openmike; 11-08-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
So you never did anything stupid when you were a teenager? I sure did, I tried drugs, quite a few different ones and I tried them more than once. I also got absolutely smashed on alcohol more than once and smoked my share of cigarettes. But I didn't develop a dependency on any of them. I'm now retired and have grandkids. I drink a glass of wine about once a week with dinner, I don't smoke, I don't use any drugs. I consider myself lucky, I apparently don't have a high risk for addiction. But I do have empathy for those who are addicted.
I'm not going to say what I did or didn't do when I was a kid. What I will say is that, like you, whatever I did or didn't do DID NOT affect my life in a negative way - nor did I let it control me.

Everyone out there has the potential to be addicted to something that has the potential to destroy their lives. I.e. drugs, alcohol, food, gambling, etc. Should I feel sorry for someone who is a drug addict or alcoholic because they didn't have the will power to break the cycle & ends up on the street because of this? Or some guy who goes out and gambles his life savings away & ends up penniless because he didn't have any self control!? F#%$ no. People have to pay for the consequences of their actions.

The problem is that it's not just they who are paying for it - society is as well. A lot of drug addicts turn to crime to support their habit. Gamblers as well. Those scumbag a$$%$$#.

Also, have you ever been hassled or threatened by homeless people who are looking for their next fix? Or been the victim of a crime by thieves/criminals, that were probably looking for money to support their habit!? I can say yes to both. I live in a big city & have to deal with these people on a daily basis.

Lastly, I bet you wouldn't like it if a homeless shelter went up next to your house, and/or if you had to deal with homeless junkies on a regular basis - every day.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:09 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,879,322 times
I can only speak for our area of North Carolina (Western Carolina) where one trificta of Brevard, Hendersonville to Asheville has only a 5% vacancy rate for rentals and those available are too expensive.Housing is simply a gridlock with prices 45% inflated and nothing moving. For a lower to middle income couple attempting to settle here you better pitch a tent . Your not going anywhare !! The bougeois retiries have staked out the majority of all available realestate. At the end of the day service people living on the edge economically quickly find themselves at the Missions and food banks ,dealing in drugs or disintegration of families relegated to find relatives to put them up. The ol' sell the car and the Harley and ride a bike to the food bank (how fun it is to ride on the one horse open 1960 Schwinn (soon to be stolen) in the rain and the bougeois unable to see you because you didn't have a flashlight. RIP .

Last edited by openmike; 11-08-2015 at 02:44 PM..

Old 11-09-2015, 05:29 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,688,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynach View Post
All over the US and in increasing numbers in Urban areas in first world countries, homelessness is on the rise. What is behind this increase in numbers? This is not like the 30's in the US with "hobos" who rode the rails looking for work or help, or the nearest soup kitchen. There was a real homeless culture in the 80's and now it's just off the rails, with every urban area just overrun with homeless. Problems with sanitation and balancing economics with human behavior. What do you feel is the root problem behind the huge numbers that have blossomed over the last decade?
Simple. The economy is not as good as the government or the mainstream media would have us believe. Those people living under bridges and in tents aren't there because they like it. They're there because the Banksters need all the money they can possibly steal.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:06 PM

934 posts, read 1,130,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Simple. The economy is not as good as the government or the mainstream media would have us believe. Those people living under bridges and in tents aren't there because they like it. They're there because the Banksters need all the money they can possibly steal.

I don't think that's the only reason. In my opinion, that's a very one dimensional "answer" to the issue and doesn't really address it in entirety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates