Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 03:02 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,811,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Tubal ligation.

Just to be clear, I'm just answering the question.
Should the man who impregnated her be subjected to a vesectomy? Particularly if she states she sought out an abortion because the father didn't want to be involved. Nearly half of women state the reason they had an abortion was because they didn't want to be single moms or are having relationship issues with the father. Men obviously play a key role in the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 03:09 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
Quote:
Tubal ligation.

Just to be clear, I'm just answering the question.
Do you advocate a punishment for the father of the fetus, or the abortion provider? And if so, what would that be?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:40 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
So, you think that:

1. only the woman should be punished, and
2. the punishment should be a tubal ligation

?
Given that it's ultimately her choice, yes.
And, yes. Abuse your reproductive rights? Have them revoked.

Following the rules of the question.

The whole thing seems...I dunno...nutty. But I'm answering the question.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Do you advocate a punishment for the father of the fetus, or the abortion provider? And if so, what would that be?
Depends on if the father was complicit. Same punishment.

The provider? Jail.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:42 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,103,668 times
Quote:

What about it seems nutty? If it is outlawed, there would have to be some sort of punishment, right?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:00 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
Quote:

Quote:
Depends on if the father was complicit. Same punishment.

The provider? Jail.
I appreciate that you're answering the question. I don't know if you can forcibly sterilize someone without violating the Constitution. I believe sex offenders can agree to be castrated, but I don't think it passes constitutional muster to force them to be castrated. I'm not equating castration to a vasectomy, but I'm not sure you can force someone to undergo a medical procedure.

How much jail time for the provider? First degree felony, generally something like 5 to 99 years? Or (since we're in Texas) capital murder because it's causing the death of a child under 6? That sentence is usually mandatory life without possibility of parole or death.

If abortion isn't the murder of a child under 6, what is it?

Old 11-23-2015, 04:03 PM

To answer as an aside:

You are actually not getting an idea of my views on abortion here.

You are getting an idea of how I would mete out justice (which I find an interesting concept to discuss).

Since I don't believe all abortion should be illegal, I find this nutty.

Old 11-23-2015, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I appreciate that you're answering the question. I don't know if you can forcibly sterilize someone without violating the Constitution. I believe sex offenders can agree to be castrated, but I don't think it passes constitutional muster to force them to be castrated. I'm not equating castration to a vasectomy, but I'm not sure you can force someone to undergo a medical procedure.

How much jail time for the provider? First degree felony, generally something like 5 to 99 years? Or (since we're in Texas) capital murder because it's causing the death of a child under 6? That sentence is usually mandatory life without possibility of parole or death.

If abortion isn't the murder of a child under 6, what is it?
So, do the same by offering a choice. Jail for the life of their reproductive years OR sterilization.

If we're calling it murder, it's murder. The age of the victim is immaterial.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:26 PM

3,517 posts, read 2,675,934 times
Would a D&C procedure be illegal and come with a penalty? I remember the good old days, doctors performed them instead of so called abortions.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,811,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Would a D&C procedure be illegal and come with a penalty? I remember the good old days, doctors performed them instead of so called abortions.
This would be an interesting twist. Would the stipulations of the procedure change? Would a doctor have to submit documents proving an accurate diagnosis of a miscarriage? Would this now require a second opinion, a certain number of scans and a waiting period to verify that fetal development has stopped and that her body is not able to flush it out naturally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates