Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It should be penalty free. The feds and states have no business legislating inside a woman's panties. It's a basic right to not have government intruding into the most personal of circumstances.

Only the most insecure of control freaks could possibly want it otherwise.
Please look at the OP and my post #57. This thread is not about whether abortion should be legal or not, but about what the U.S. might look like if abortion were made illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Please look at the OP and my post #57. This thread is not about whether abortion should be legal or not, but about what the U.S. might look like if abortion were made illegal.

Please look at the first sentence my post.

Thank you.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:24 PM

10,245 posts, read 6,338,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you have a negative pregnancy test, why would anyone have to approve anything?
Post menopausal women can still have uterine cysts. They CANNOT be pregnant. So you want them to have a pregnancy test too? lol

Old 11-25-2015, 02:55 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,733,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Please look at the first sentence my post.

Thank you.

IF abortion were made illegal, violations of tbe law would need to be punished. To say it shouldn't be punished is the same thing as saying it shouldn't be illegal. That's not the point of the thread.

I'm pro-choice and don't think abortion shold be punished either. I'm interested in how far anti-abortionists are willing to go to enforce a ban on abortion, if the practice were outlawed.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM

3,864 posts, read 2,236,173 times
Quote:
If the Supreme Court were to find that a woman did not have a constitutional right to abortion and individual states moved to make it illegal, how should the crime be punished?

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS DEGENERATE INTO A DISCUSSION OF WHETHER ABORTION SHOULD BE LEGALIZED OR NOT.

Would you support a prison term for the woman? The man who fathered the child? The provider?

If so, what length of term for each party?

If the woman or couple has other children at home, should punishment be less?

Should it be punishable by death?
The same penalty one would receive for killing a newborn.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,581,762 times
Quote:
IF abortion were made illegal, violations of tbe law would need to be punished. To say it shouldn't be punished is the same thing as saying it shouldn't be illegal. That's not the point of the thread.

I'm pro-choice and don't think abortion shold be punished either. I'm interested in how far anti-abortionists are willing to go to enforce a ban on abortion, if the practice were outlawed.

And I say it should lack punishment.

A woman who's undergone an abortion has enough to deal with emotionally to have to endure legal proceedings from an ultra-intrusive government.

If it's declared illegal, (it hasn't been) any "punishment" should be limited to a mild verbal reprimand of no more than 3 minutes by the chairman of the county GOP. And maybe no sprinkles on her donut for the next two days.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:39 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,913,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Post menopausal women can still have uterine cysts. They CANNOT be pregnant. So you want them to have a pregnancy test too? lol
I'll say one thing about us old ladies. We can sure agree on what it's like to be old ladies. Been there, done that.

Mr. Smith, MD: How old are you?

Me: Almost 60.

Mr. Smith, MD: How long have you been post menopausal?

Me: Ten years.

Mr. Smith, MD: Is there any chance you might be pregnant?

Me: ??? I know I'm not. But how about you, Doctor. Any chance you might be pregnant?

Old 11-26-2015, 07:27 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,572,368 times
Sterilization so the situation never arises again.

We could solve so many problems if we agreed to sterilize every 12 year old and then reverse the procedure free of charge when they're 25 or older and want to have kids. That's time to grow up, get an education and start a career BEFORE babies. We have a legal age for driving, voting, and for drinking. Why not one for parenting?

Old 11-26-2015, 12:52 PM

215 posts, read 185,738 times
Why are you all so eager to punish stupidity
Especially when it doesn't affect you
Isn't stupidity itself a harsh enough punishment for the people who have it
Let the dumb-***es touch a hot stove and get pregnant
Boohoo amirite

Oh but then our tax dollars go to welfare or abortion clinics
Let me tell you about dollars
Dollars are imaginary
Invest in what's real OK
Invest in whatever cannot be confiscated
Because they WILL confiscate from you to fund other people's baby problems
^
Now it doesn't matter any more what other people do
This is called "minding your own business"

If you're part of the system you're part of the problem
Part of a system that wields enough power to perhaps sterilize the populace with laced vaccines if they so chose

You can cry like a little baby about what other people are doing wrong until the gov't puts a pacifier in your mouths

Here I am taking light talk and making it serious
Well I am serious
All we have are our words anymore
Let's flex that ability until it gets taken away

Last edited by Wannabeliber; 11-26-2015 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-28-2015, 03:06 AM

1,485 posts, read 956,420 times
If abortion were made illegal, I'd support a $10 fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates