Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 11:27 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,735,706 times

Advertisements

If the Supreme Court were to find that a woman did not have a constitutional right to abortion and individual states moved to make it illegal, how should the crime be punished?

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS DEGENERATE INTO A DISCUSSION OF WHETHER ABORTION SHOULD BE LEGALIZED OR NOT.

Would you support a prison term for the woman? The man who fathered the child? The provider?

If so, what length of term for each party?

If the woman or couple has other children at home, should punishment be less?

Should it be punishable by death?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 12:10 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,097,738 times
Death sentence for any woman seeking an abortion? That would take care of the problem! Reminds me of Nathan Lane in the movie with Robin Williams.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Death sentence for any woman seeking an abortion? That would take care of the problem! Reminds me of Nathan Lane in the movie with Robin Williams.
Since this is the "great debates" forum and not P&OC, is your comment a serious one?

Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,097,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Since this is the "great debates" forum and not P&OC, is your comment a serious one?
Not serious at all, at least not any less serious than someone trying to make abortion illegal at this point in history.
The movie was "The Birdcage", by the way. And you were the first one that mentioned a possible death sentence.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Not serious at all, at least not any less serious than someone trying to make abortion illegal at this point in history.
The movie was "The Birdcage", by the way. And you were the first one that mentioned a possible death sentence.
I recognized the movie but not the particular reference.

I am not in favor of making abortion illegal. But I'm always curious about how staunch anti-abortionists would punish it if it were illegal. The question about the death penalty was prompted by comparisons of abortion to murder. In many jurisdictions murder of a child under a particular age is a capital felony punishable by death. I'm just wondering if anti-abortion proponents would favor the death penalty for a woman/man/provider who aborted a fetus.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,812,336 times
Quote:
I recognized the movie but not the particular reference.

I am not in favor of making abortion illegal. But I'm always curious about how staunch anti-abortionists would punish it if it were illegal. The question about the death penalty was prompted by comparisons of abortion to murder. In many jurisdictions murder of a child under a particular age is a capital felony punishable by death. I'm just wondering if anti-abortion proponents would favor the death penalty for a woman/man/provider who aborted a fetus.
An eye for an eye right?

Another thing anti abortionists don't consider is that women who miscarry will be arrested and subjected to trial and sentencing if she can't prove the pregnancy ended naturally. And yes, it does happen in places where it is illegal or highly restricted, because really, how CAN you prove it?

El Salvador jails women for miscarriages and stillbirths - LA Times

Sadly even in the US:

Arrested for Having a Miscarriage? 7 Appalling Instances Where Pregnant Women Were Criminalized | Alternet

Old 11-23-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
An eye for an eye right?

Another thing anti abortionists don't consider is that women who miscarry will be arrested and subjected to trial and sentencing if she can't prove the pregnancy ended naturally. And yes, it does happen in places where it is illegal or highly restricted, because really, how CAN you prove it?

El Salvador jails women for miscarriages and stillbirths - LA Times

Sadly even in the US:

Arrested for Having a Miscarriage? 7 Appalling Instances Where Pregnant Women Were Criminalized | Alternet
It's a real issue that isn't ever discussed. If abortion is made illegal, it has to be punished as a crime. If anti-abortion advocates can't bring themselves to support criminal penalties, I think it opens up the discussion to perhaps finding common ground.

In other words, maybe it clarifies that the real issue is preventing unwanted pregnancies. IMO, that would be a step forward in the debate.

This forum is quiet today, but it's interesting to me that none of the people who usually are opposed to abortion haven't posted here yet.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,438,774 times
Tubal ligation.

Just to be clear, I'm just answering the question.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,104,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Tubal ligation.

Just to be clear, I'm just answering the question.
So, you think that:

1. only the woman should be punished, and
2. the punishment should be a tubal ligation

?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,812,336 times
Quote:
It's a real issue that isn't ever discussed. If abortion is made illegal, it has to be punished as a crime. If anti-abortion advocates can't bring themselves to support criminal penalties, I think it opens up the discussion to perhaps finding common ground.

In other words, maybe it clarifies that the real issue is preventing unwanted pregnancies. IMO, that would be a step forward in the debate.

This forum is quiet today, but it's interesting to me that none of the people who usually are opposed to abortion haven't posted here yet.
It is interesting. I keep checking back, because I honestly want to know what these people are expecting to happen as punishment.

What about a doctor preforming them illegally? What happens to him/her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates