Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:57 AM

21,380 posts, read 7,992,199 times

Advertisements

Is it possible for one day for everyone to choose NOT to be angry?

Could you make it through an entire day being polite, smiling at people on the street, holding a door open when you get your coffee?

Could you offer to let that person holding one item go in front of you?

Could you refrain from screaming and honking and yelling obscenities at the car that cut you off in traffic and instead LET them in with a smile and a wave?

How about not getting offended by a small comment a coworker makes in passing?

Or not posting a snarky comment just because, well that person is oh so STUPID and I have to put him in his place?

Is it possible to be kind, without anger for JUST ONE DAY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:18 AM

19,134 posts, read 27,765,073 times
Wrong request.
Anger is not. Anger is absence of compassion. Anger is lack of awareness. One can not become angry without becoming "unconscious" for a brief moment. Try.
hence, the right question is - how to become more conscious, more aware. THEN, anger simply is not possible. One that is aware can not become angry.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:45 AM

Without getting into the philosophy of anger ....

How many would be able to get through the day? Is it possible?

Old 12-31-2016, 10:55 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,039,959 times
It would not be possible if lunacy were being constantly spouted at you all day long. Eventually, you just get fed up with all that mindless crap.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:00 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,749,725 times
To get angry is a reality to being human. Understanding WHY we are angry, processing it, and then letting it go is part of humanities available coping skills... if we choose to use them.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:06 PM

19,134 posts, read 27,765,073 times
Whenever you are angry, your light within has disappeared. In fact, you are angry because the light has disappeared, the darkness has entered. You can be angry only when you are unconscious, you cannot be angry consciously. Try it: either you will lose consciousness and anger will be there, or you will remain conscious and anger will not arise – you cannot be angry consciously. What does it mean? It means the nature of consciousness is just like light, and the nature of anger is just like darkness – you cannot have both. If the light is there, you cannot have darkness; if you are conscious, you cannot be angry.
People come to me continuously and ask how not to be angry. They are asking a wrong question – and when you ask a wrong question it is very difficult to get the right answer. First ask the right question. Don’t ask how to dispel darkness, don’t ask how to dispel worries, anguish, anxiety; just analyze your mind and see why they are there in the first place. They are there because you are not conscious enough. So ask the right question: How to be more and more conscious? If you ask how not to be angry, you will become the victim of some moralist. And if you ask the question how to be more conscious, so anger cannot exist, so lust cannot exist, so greed cannot exist, then you are on the right track, then you will become a religious seeker.

Tantra, The Supreme Understanding
Swami Bhagwan Radjeesh

Old 01-01-2017, 11:15 AM

By the absolute lack of replies and the TONS of replies on other boards where people argue, insult, put down and call each other names ... well .... it seems obvious that people would rather be angry and offended than be kind to each other.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:41 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,788,758 times
I rarely get angry about events happening around me but I get really discouraged and a bit depressed. Humanity seems to be headed in a bad direction and watching it is like watching a slow moving train wreck. You feel helpless to do anything about it. After the election I didn't read the news for 2 weeks (I don't watch TV anyway) and that helped a lot.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:16 PM

15,668 posts, read 10,447,304 times
If someone I knew was angry every day several times a day I'd suggest s/he see the doctor. There may be a mental or physical reason for such anger. Constant anger is not normal.

Old 01-01-2017, 04:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,148,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Is it possible for one day for everyone to choose NOT to be angry?

Could you make it through an entire day being polite, smiling at people on the street, holding a door open when you get your coffee?

Could you offer to let that person holding one item go in front of you?

Could you refrain from screaming and honking and yelling obscenities at the car that cut you off in traffic and instead LET them in with a smile and a wave?

How about not getting offended by a small comment a coworker makes in passing?

Or not posting a snarky comment just because, well that person is oh so STUPID and I have to put him in his place?

Is it possible to be kind, without anger for JUST ONE DAY?
It IS possible for anyone to be kind, without anger, for just one day.

It is NOT possible for everyone to choose to be kind, without anger, for just one day. To expect that of everyone even for only one day is asking too much, it is not realistic, it's just a fantasy, albeit a nice fantasy.

Regarding all that other stuff you mentioned - being polite, smiling at people on the street, holding doors open, not screaming obscenities and honking at other drivers, letting people into line, other kindnesses and dignities you didn't mention as examples - well, I and millions of other people already do all of those things every day from habit and it is a really easy habit to get into.

For me the exception is about not posting snarky comments to stupid, snarky people online. I have to draw the line somewhere and stupid snarky people online really annoy me so that's where I draw the line on being kind. But if I want to I can ignore them for a day or more by not going online.

I've noticed that it's almost exclusively people online who seem to express the most negativity and I think they do it because they are safe and anonymous when they're online. They likely wouldn't express even a tenth of their snark at people if they were standing face to face with them because it is socially unacceptable and they would not have a good life if they're always alienating everyone around them in their real life. But online they can get away with being bullies and saying something negative that they aren't able to do in public, because online is not their real life and nobody knows who they are.

I think if toxic people online are getting to you with their negativity so much so that your own personal control issues are coming to the fore (i.e. you want everybody to be nice for a day - that is a control issue whether you realize it or not) then you need to take a break from the online world and focus your idealism towards people you know and care about in your real life world. Don't try to persuade them to be nice but YOU do lots of nice things for them to make their lives a little bit better, even if only for one day. By making other people happy you will make yourself happy. And avoid the toxic people in your real life world too. You know who they are.

Taking a break from the online world also means taking a break from other technological things like TV news and entertainment shows, movies, radio, social media like face book and twitter, cel phones and other such devices, etc. Those things are all an invasion into your peace and tranquility so take a break from them too.

Smile a lot, even when there is nobody else around to smile at. Smiling makes the body produce endorphins and endorphins will make you feel good and that will make you smile more which will produce more endorphins, and so on and so on.

Happy New Year.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates