Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:40 AM

769 posts, read 830,758 times

Advertisements

This might sound cold, but here are the RAW statistics:
Mass Shootings in 2015 - Mass Shooting Tracker

And an excel file

http://shootingtracker.com/tracker/2015CURRENT.xlsx

Less than 500 people are killed in a year, out of an estimated 15,000 people that will be murdered, and less than 1500 injured in "mass shootings". That's less than 4% of all murders each year.

This may sound cold, but I have to ask, IS THIS REALLY A PROBLEM??

Are some of you SERIOUSLY looking to ban guns and alter the constitution to save the lives of less than 500 people, in a country of 315 MILLION???

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being involved in a mass shooting.

According to statistics I have found each year:

roughly 600 people are fatally stabbed
roughly 900 people are fatally strangulated

Why the disproportionate outrage for so called mass shootings???

10,000 people will die in traffic accidents

USA CAUSES OF DEATH BY AGE AND GENDER

Old 12-04-2015, 05:51 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,671,115 times
I agree with you. The media and politicians get everyone running, screaming "gun control." I read an article where the majority of mass shootings are committed with legal weapons. The politicians get votes from the 'tree huggers" by proclaiming they will instituted gun control.

IMO background checks need to the more thorough, and the person applying to buy a gun should pay for that. Some loop holes need to be plugged like allowing those on the "watch list" to buy guns.

CA and NY has strict gun control laws. Means nothing.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,209,844 times
We definitely need to fix some loop-holes (like those on the watch list being able to get guns legally) and try to enforce more educational/safety requirements. Maybe we need an affordable care act to provide gun safes and lock boxes and that training/education (I KID!!).

I'm pretty sure my husband has a few guns in the house. I have no idea where they are or how to use them. I'm ambivalent about the presence of them. However, I believe in the Constitution. And while I believe we have a tendency to take some things a bit too literally, I don't believe a gun ban is going to solve the problems of mass murders, or violence. That is not about the tool, it's about the person.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:26 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,790,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

And an excel file

Less than 500 people are killed in a year, out of an estimated 15,000 people that will be murdered, and less than 1500 injured in "mass shootings". That's less than 4% of all murders each year.

Are some of you SERIOUSLY looking to ban guns and alter the constitution to save the lives of less than 500 people, in a country of 315 MILLION???

You have a better chance of being struck by lightning than being involved in a mass shooting.

You link "USA CAUSES OF DEATH" Has flawed data. Motor vehicle deaths are closer to 32,000 than the 10,000 listed. Murders are much higher than what is listed on the site.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:32 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I read an article where the majority of mass shootings are committed with legal weapons.
Not going to look it up but the article I read had them individually listed, I believe it was the last 12 they had listed. Out of those 12 perhaps one was illegally obtained, 2 if you want to count Lanza.

That said these acts are not spur of the moment and planned out over weeks or months. They are determined people and will obtain weapons or some other means to inflict mass casualties one way or the other.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Murders are much higher than what is listed on the site.
That page is defaulting to just females, click the "both" button at the top.

Note that they don't list murders but homicides. A homicide occurs when one human purposely or unlawfully causes the life of another to be taken. This would include justified shootings etc., even those by police.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

And an excel file

It's not JUST about mass shootings. It's about gun violence as a whole. No one said anything about banning or taking away all types of guns. Gun control and gun bans are two different things.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:52 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
It's not JUST about mass shootings. It's about gun violence as a whole. No one said anything about banning or taking away all types of guns. Gun control and gun bans are two different things.
For the anti 2A crowd gun control is the journey, gun bans is the destination.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:00 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Liberals don't concern themselves with facts, they get in the way of their agenda, which as Ellwood said, is more gun control. Lies and false statistics are a primary means.
So........when we are face to face with someone with an assault rifle; I will remain calm and realize that this is a lie? Why do we need assault weapons sold on line and at gun shows. I am not a "liberal," I am a person, that has concern for guns in the WRONG hands. Bow and salute to the wonderful NRA, that is running our country into the ground.

I am so sick of greed and monsters controlling everything. Innocent people are dying every single day, sadly in our back yards. I hope whoever the next president is has the gumption to DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,250,696 times
Personally I am more concerned that I will be involved in a car crash due to a drunk or drugged driver than being hurt or killed in a mass shooting.

How many people have their lives ruined or ended everyday due to a drunk driver?

Our lawmakers once listened to a minority of folk and laws were changed to ban alcohol. This law turned many people into criminals as they still drank and turned some who made the bootleg booze wealthy.
Several years later the ban was overturned.

Ban guns and it will send them onto the black market and turn many people into criminals overnight and besides paying more for those illegal guns I doubt the criminals will care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates