Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 11:00 PM

225 posts, read 203,360 times

Advertisements

In my experience, it doesn't. It makes them up their game. But I won't consider what happened to me trolling, but crossed the line into harassment. When I started ignoring, the person started posting my personal information and tried to get me fired from my job.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
In my experience, it doesn't. It makes them up their game. But I won't consider what happened to me trolling, but crossed the line into harassment. When I started ignoring, the person started posting my personal information and tried to get me fired from my job.
That's when you contact law enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_deal_maker View Post
Trolls on a great forum are quickly neutralized by a moderator.
A lot of them can be persistent and a royal PITA. By far the best method is what is called a soft ban. This will hide all posts from the offender to other forum members, they get ignored becsue no one can see what they are posting and they usually never catch on. It may include other features like slowing web page loading to give the perception there is server issues, log them out and delete the cookie occasionally.....

Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 AM

35,101 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
I am active on other forums and sometimes we get obvious troll post. Then you see some people run to answer it and start engaging in troll baiting .Normally the trolls start throwing out more insults to those that respond to them until the thread gets deleted. I wish everyone just ignores the questions and report it instead. One of them is clearly the same person that keeps coming back for the sole purpose of trolling-you can tell because he always post the same troll post to provoke a reaction. I wonder if it's because some people always reply to him

So If everyone ignores the troll questions and report them and they get deleted, would they likely go away over time? Does ignoring a troll work? I never reply to trolls btw
Some trolls are pretty good at dressing up their posts as legitimate or mixing troll and good posts. The ones who are banned promptly make it too obvious.

Old 12-21-2015, 10:26 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times
They will just continue under a new user name. And thanks for the education about trolls.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
A troll is a like a bully who purposely picks a fight only he or she does it with words. I ignore them. They are just looking for attention. What they say usually has no meaning anyway, they are just trying to bait people into arguing. If others want to play, fine, that's their prerogative. I'll just use the "ignore" feature. I've only used it a couple of times I've been on CD but I find it very useful.
Regarding the bolded part of the quote - then I must do borderline-trolling on occassion. Hope C-D doesn't kick me off

Specifically, I've posted a few absurd questions based on common everyday memes I think people uncritically swallow - sometimes in (what I think) is a mildly provocative way. But in no case did I insult, demean, or degrade others - if anything going out of my way to avoid that. I simply posted what I saw as common meme-based misconceptions about the way people operate, or common unquestioned memes, etc., then drew outright absurd conclusions based on the assumption that popular idea or meme. In short, as JrzDefector put it, "being deliberately obtuse". And each such thread I posted did get a fair number of responses, the majority of them quite good, in fact.

If that counts as trolling, then I suppose I am one - borderline though I claim it is. What people usually call trolling (bullying, meanness, insults - especially egregious ones) is definitely something we need to keep to a minimum.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:17 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,781,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Regarding the bolded part of the quote - then I must do borderline-trolling on occassion. Hope C-D doesn't kick me off

Specifically, I've posted a few absurd questions based on common everyday memes I think people uncritically swallow - sometimes in (what I think) is a mildly provocative way. But in no case did I insult, demean, or degrade others - if anything going out of my way to avoid that. I simply posted what I saw as common meme-based misconceptions about the way people operate, or common unquestioned memes, etc., then drew outright absurd conclusions based on the assumption that popular idea or meme. In short, as JrzDefector put it, "being deliberately obtuse". And each such thread I posted did get a fair number of responses, the majority of them quite good, in fact.

If that counts as trolling, then I suppose I am one - borderline though I claim it is. What people usually call trolling (bullying, meanness, insults - especially egregious ones) is definitely something we need to keep to a minimum.
To address specifics with regards to how City Data treats trolls, intentionally starting arguments (especially when done with no intention of hearing the opposing side) can be considered trolling and can result in infractions/bans. Bringing up controversial topics themselves or presenting a valid argument for an unpopular opinion is not inherently trolling and often is the start of a lot of good threads, especially in this forum, but a history of "drive by" posts where an extreme 1-2 line comment is made to rile up a bunch of people is a different story.

Should anyone have questions about trolling as it pertains to this site, the "About the Forum" section of the site might be a better section.

Last edited by Jeo123; 12-22-2015 at 11:20 PM..

Old 12-21-2015, 07:52 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Some people troll just to disrupt other people's conversations rather than to draw attention to themselves. Since they can often manage to do that through the sheer volume of their posting within a thread, ignoring them doesn't discourage them at all.

Old 12-22-2015, 09:37 PM

47 posts, read 49,477 times
Keep in mind that not all trolls will type all incoherent in their posting. In fact, some write quite well.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
a troll is just someone that you dont agree with, they might not be wrong , just a different opinion than one you looking for. calling someone a troll has no effect on them, it just to make you feel superior, like calling someone fat.
I agree with you there

No-one has to respond...a troll to you, may not be a troll to me.

Old 12-27-2015, 05:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissmamaAnnie View Post
LOL, do you know what trolling is ???There's a difference between an interesting thread that is mere conjecture for the purposes of conversation than a troll thread of someone who is contributing nothing valuable, but just to fight for fun/get attention.We also consider people to be trolls when they persistently misuse product features to negatively target others. That's the difference my dear

Example of troll thread: I had sex with my dog, do you think we'll have man-dog puppies?LOL
Then how come I've seen so many posts calling other posters trolls when they weren't talking nothing like the way you say?
Just maybe not agreeing..... or having an alternative view or ideology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates