Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 09:30 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,204,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Their sex life most certainly *is* the government's business. Polygamy is culturally destructive, and it's a big part of why the places these people come from are total hell-holes.
I didn't realize southern Utah was considered a "hell hole".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 12:16 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,955,245 times
So, the US govt is going to break up families and refuse religious freedom by not recognizing muslim plural marriage? Where is the outrage? Why is this arbitrary law supported? Who is to say how a family should choose to live?

What about the children? How can the govt take away the rights of the children to live in a home with their legally married father and mothers, just because their parents change countries?

And if muslims can have plural marriage, why not mormons? And why not everyone? My SO is about to turn 32, it's about time to trade her for a newer model, but I kinda like having her around, she does give a good foot rub and doesn't eat much, so in a poly family I could have my cake and eat it too! . It might be nice to have a couple of men around the house too, especially if they had jobs.

Look at cows and deer, they get along just fine with one bull or buck and a bunch of females.

But seriously, poly marriage is coming. Who says people can only have one spouse? Christian extremists and their ghod? This is part of the evolution of mankind.

To further cloud the issue, are humans really disposed to more than one spouse? Would not two of the spouses tend to be closer than the others? Would that leave the other spouses feeling like third wheels?

This is a very complicated issue.

Last edited by jamies; 12-26-2015 at 01:39 PM..

Old 12-26-2015, 12:21 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,702,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I think it might be - especially for all those young girls with little education, and being married off to old dudes.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,333 times
Have any of you considered the the increased probability of an inbreeding situation? With all those half brothers and half sisters living together, it's bound to happen.

But what the heck, we shouldn't be concerned about the kid's sex lives either, right liberals?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:57 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,893,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Their sex life most certainly *is* the government's business. Polygamy is culturally destructive, and it's a big part of why the places these people come from are total hell-holes.
Cultural norms come from survival instincts. If your tribe has to constantly fight other tribes and adult males are rare commodity, there will be polygamy, legal or not. Imagine big scale invasion on US soil, where most men will die in order to push enemy back. Those who [imagine] survive, will have unlimited pool of young women to make pregnant,even if they have only 1 leg, 1 hand, or 1 ball... It happened in Western history before too.

As far as government business, I believe in 1st, 4th and 10th amendments to United States Constitution which clearly said, it is definitely not government business, but you have right to believe otherwise.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:59 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,039,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
If there's a merit to grant asylum, their sex life is not government business
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
As far as government business, I believe in 1st, 4th and 10th amendments to United States Constitution which clearly said, it is definitely not government business, but you have right to believe otherwise.

It most certainly is the governments business now. Remember #LoveWins? Well a better name for it should have been #PrivacyLoses because now we have given the gov the permission to define what marriage is.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:20 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
It has already been going on for a long time, polygamist Muslim families immigrating to the US, and living on welfare. Nothing new here.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:11 PM

571 posts, read 1,318,786 times
It is also a matter of the Constitutionality of equal protection under the law. If it is accepted in one situation (immigrants, refugees) then it has to be accepted everywhere under U.S. Jurisdiction.
The original article was in the Wall Street Journal about three years ago and was written by a female researcher who was originally looking for data on women's rights. ( I photo copied the article and have it buried in my files)She came across this situation in her research. I can only imagine that more multiple families have been admitted.
It is not a matter of "Sex lives" it is a matter of law. When you obtain a marriage license, you have to legally assert that you are not currently married to another.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:04 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
So, the US govt is going to break up families and refuse religious freedom by not recognizing muslim plural marriage? Where is the outrage? Why is this arbitrary law supported? Who is to say how a family should choose to live?
Don't be silly. This is the US. We are only to be outraged at religious freedoms pertaining to Christianity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
What about the children? How can the govt take away the rights of the children to live in a home with their legally married father and mothers, just because their parents change countries?

And if muslims can have plural marriage, why not mormons? And why not everyone? My SO is about to turn 32, it's about time to trade her for a newer model, but I kinda like having her around, she does give a good foot rub and doesn't eat much, so in a poly family I could have my cake and eat it too! . It might be nice to have a couple of men around the house too, especially if they had jobs.

Look at cows and deer, they get along just fine with one bull or buck and a bunch of females.

But seriously, poly marriage is coming. Who says people can only have one spouse? Christian extremists and their ghod? This is part of the evolution of mankind.

To further cloud the issue, are humans really disposed to more than one spouse? Would not two of the spouses tend to be closer than the others? Would that leave the other spouses feeling like third wheels?

This is a very complicated issue.
The Bible actually has many examples of plural marriages (but we are supposed to pretend that's not in there).

Honestly I don't see a problem with polygamy as long as everyone is a willing participant and is happy, who cares? I've got other things to worry about than who is married to who or whom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
I think it might be - especially for all those young girls with little education, and being married off to old dudes.
This is a scenario where the married people aren't willing participants, they aren't happy and they are minors. None of this would be appropriate in ANY type of marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Have any of you considered the the increased probability of an inbreeding situation? With all those half brothers and half sisters living together, it's bound to happen.

But what the heck, we shouldn't be concerned about the kid's sex lives either, right liberals?
Oh stop it with the dramatics. Half siblings grow up with each other all over the world, in various scenarios including in the US and they don't have sex with each other. If you are going to go with this argument, then we need to investigate all families with half siblings, step siblings and adopted siblings. Probably ones where cousins live in close quarters too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
It most certainly is the governments business now. Remember #LoveWins? Well a better name for it should have been #PrivacyLoses because now we have given the gov the permission to define what marriage is.
Privacy loses? Lol. How is a gay couple getting married an invasion of your privacy? Why do you think some Holy book that not everyone believes in gets to decide for a secular nation, yet the government, the ones issuing the licenses, doesn't get a say? Silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It has already been going on for a long time, polygamist Muslim families immigrating to the US, and living on welfare. Nothing new here.
You have to be a citizen to get welfare. Immigrants work, as do most Americans. I'd like you to provide some evidence for that statement.

Old 12-26-2015, 11:13 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,378,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
You might want to try *logic*.

Really, it's better not to be a smart-ass if you don't know what you're talking about. Try listening and learning for a change.

It's an absolute fact that polygamy and cousin-marriage are reasons why Middle Eastern societies are wrecks by our standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates