Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 PM

7,831 posts, read 4,577,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Can't parts of such waivers theoretically get struck down by judges as being a violation of public policy, though?
Obviously a judgement could go against a physician in a particular case but 'public policy' (whatever that is to mean) wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:23 PM

37,133 posts, read 41,343,367 times
Quote:
Since people such as WildColonialGirl accused me of being paranoid and mentally ill in regards to surgical castration, and since people such as Meyerland appear to believe that birth control is perfect and that birth control never fails other than in cases of user error or in cases of something else nullifying the effectiveness of this birth control, I am asking you this question:

Should doctors who perform failed vasectomies be forced to pay all of their patients' child support for 18+ years afterwards? After all, a doctor who did a sufficiently good job with all of his or her vasectomies would never have any of his or her vasectomies fail and would thus have absolutely nothing to worry about. Plus, forcing a doctor to pay child support for 18+ years after a failed vasectomy certainly seems to be much more humane than forcing a man to pay child support for 18+ years due to a vasectomy failure and due to a broken promise in regards to abortion and/or adoption.

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
The fallacy in your post is that a failed vasectomy inevitably means the procedure was not done properly, which is not true.

Courts have held that the benefits of having child outweigh the costs of rearing that child conceived after a failed sterilization.

If there was indeed negligence in performing the surgery, then there would be a case for a medical malpractice suit.

In your personal case, do not have sex if you want to be 100% sure you do not create a child. Good luck finding a doctor in the US who will castrate you with no medical reason for the procedure. You might also consider having sex only with women who have had hysterectomies.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:27 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,214,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OP, being castrated may have many side effects you have not considered. Specifically:
decreased libido
breast tissue production
hot flashes
emotional instability
night sweats
cognitive problems

etc etc etc. Read some of the posts on prostrate cancer where the people had to have this done. The results can be completely devastating.

So this is a far worse idea then people here seem to realize.
The OP was warned repeatedly about the side effects of castration on the previous thread he started on this similar topic (something about 'Should a male-bodied person have to pay child support?' or some such silly title), but he's apparently far more worried about possibly paying child support than anything else, least of all his male genitalia. If you want to experience, as Yogi Berra said, "deja vu all over again", read his other thread.

Old 12-26-2015, 04:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,193,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
OP has a castration fantasy? That's what it sounds like and nobody will stop him from doing this to himself so I'm not seeing the great controversy.

Getting a V and using condoms seems like an easier way, and maybe some help with the OCD around this issue.

I doubt if the OP could find a competent doctor would agree to castrate a man who is mentally ill.

Old 12-26-2015, 05:51 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,804,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I doubt if the OP could find a competent doctor would agree to castrate a man who is mentally ill.
Well, there is this for the desperate in states where 190 proof Everclear is legal:

Fun fact: people sometimes inject Everclear into...

"Fun fact: people sometimes inject Everclear into their testicles to castrate themselves. Injecting high-proof alcohol causes localized necrosis."

Plus, there is the option of "back-alley" surgical castrations; after all, abortions are certainly not the only medical procedures which can be performed in "back-alleys."

Old 12-26-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The fallacy in your post is that a failed vasectomy inevitably means the procedure was not done properly, which is not true.
Frankly, that depends on how exactly you define "done properly."

Quote:
Courts have held that the benefits of having child outweigh the costs of rearing that child conceived after a failed sterilization.
And exactly what benefits are these courts talking about? After all, other than in the cases of, say, child actors, children certainly don't produce any financial benefits to their parents.

Also, though, exactly what benefits does a parent who wants to give up all of his or her parental rights to this child actually get from this child's existence and from being forced to pay child support to this child?

Indeed, maybe I should send my testicles to such idiotic courts after I will get surgically castrated. After all, the birth of an unwanted child and being forced to pay child support is certainly going to result both in extremely large depression and in the permanent elimination of most of my will to live. Indeed, "benefits my asss."

Quote:
If there was indeed negligence in performing the surgery, then there would be a case for a medical malpractice suit.
OK.

Quote:
In your personal case, do not have sex if you want to be 100% sure you do not create a child. Good luck finding a doctor in the US who will castrate you with no medical reason for the procedure.
Well, there is always the option of travelling to a U.S. state where 190 proof Everclear and injecting 190 proof Everclear into my testicles until my testicles will die out.

Also, though, there certainly is the option of "back-alley" surgical castrations. After all, abortions are certainly not the only medical procedures which can be performed in "back-alleys."

Quote:
You might also consider having sex only with women who have had hysterectomies.
Yes, and pro-lifers can likewise tell pro-choice female-bodied people that they might also consider having sex only with literal eunuchs, trans-men, and other female-bodied people! Indeed, I react just as well to this advice as pro-choice female-bodied people do when pro-lifers give them the female-bodied equivalent of this advice!

Old 12-26-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I know short answers aren't appropriate here, but in this case it fits. No doctor gives a guarantee any procedure is 100% effective. The odds of pregnancy are low (about 20 of 10,000, more in the first few months after the procedure), but stats still tell patients upfront that it's not a guarantee.

Same thing when a woman gets her tubes tied, my brother's ex wife got pregnant after she had hers tied when her last (she thought) baby was born.
The difference, though, is that many women certainly have the unilateral option of abortion afterwards.

Quote:
Should the hospital have to pay for your funeral if you die in surgery or your chemo doesn't shrink your tumor? No different to me. You sign everything away in the consent forms anyway, and if you won't sign them they won't do the procedure.
Could the hospital have done more to prevent your death? If so, then very possibly Yes.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:06 PM

Indeed, isn't money the only impartial way to measure the benefits and losses of having a child and of being forced to pay child support? Also, isn't the law supposed to be as impartial as possible?

Old 12-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
The OP was warned repeatedly about the side effects of castration on the previous thread he started on this similar topic (something about 'Should a male-bodied person have to pay child support?' or some such silly title), but he's apparently far more worried about possibly paying child support than anything else, least of all his male genitalia. If you want to experience, as Yogi Berra said, "deja vu all over again", read his other thread.
Actually, I certainly know the side effects of surgical castration as well as about the role of hormone replacement therapy in mitigating or eliminating some/many of these side effects.

Old 12-26-2015, 06:30 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,338,878 times
Quote:
Plus, there is the option of "back-alley" surgical castrations; after all, abortions are certainly not the only medical procedures which can be performed in "back-alleys."
You're either a troll or mentally ill.

Idk ANY sane man who would get a back alley procedure on their balls.

Also, for someone so concerned with the "quality" and "success" of the procedure that you want to be able to sue the Dr. if it "fails" . Like hell you'd let some guy in the apartment down the street chop your nuts off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates