Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:52 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,170,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
In accordance with Dalton v Specter (1994), and United States v. Curtiss-Wright (1936), and even Hamdi (2006), et al. the people have the right to insurrection.

The legal concept is "extra-constitutional powers."
I'm not seeing how you get a "right to insurrection" out of those cases. And I also don't see how insurrection becomes an "extra-constitutional power" in the legal sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I don't think we need to disband, we just need to purge (basically get rid of everyone currently in office) and reboot.

We do need a political revolution in this country and only one politician is willing to do what it takes to do that .

Talk is cheap & no one really cares enough about the state of the U.S to do a damn thing about it. I see Sanders & Ron Paul wanting to do much of what your saying which is why they will never be elected into office. The people are happy being fat & stuffing their faces with fast food & texting & of course their reality TV shows. They don't care that their kids are being dumbed down & not make to think for themselves. IMO, I don't believe that anyone really cares about what's going on anymore. If they did why don't they stop putting idiots into office? The one's who say that they do care are more worried about religion, or such other nonsense. All those people care about it their own personal selfish right & not anyone else. They tend to have a warped sense of what our founding fathers wanted.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:53 AM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Section 5.
All members of any federal court must be U.S. born and must be at least 30 years of age.

I really do like your ideas. But not this one. Limiting offices to those who are U.S. born deprives us of the talents of those who were born elsewhere but who have come to our country and become American, not just on paper but in their hearts. (How many people were born elsewhere but came here as babies, and thus America is the only land they've ever known?)

What I would do is specify a minimum age (e.g. 30 years old, as you have here) and then say that the person must have been a United States citizen for at least that long. Thus, I would word your amendment as follows:

All members of any federal court must have been a citizen of the United States for at least 30 years.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:29 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
I don't think we need to disband, we just need to purge (basically get rid of everyone currently in office) and reboot. The biggest problem is there is too much money in politics. Rich people, lobbyists and such are the ones making the rules and it's not what's good for the majority of Americans,
Which surprised me that people actually believed Obama when he was "after the rich". Well, maybe, but not in the way Obama supporters believed.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:10 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
All this discord and rhetoric the past year or so regarding civil and gun rights and Obama hate, and gay hate, Democrats vs Republicans, and everyone in the country seemingly hating everyone else, etc., got me to thinking.

When the Founding Fathers made up the Constitution and Bill of Rights and all the other founding documents, they forgot to set up a way to disband the arrangement if or when things didn't work out. Apparently the only way to reset the clock or to dissolve the government and start over is by armed insurrection. Which is of course illegal.

Or did I miss something? There doesn't seem to be any system in place whereby Congress could just agree that we can't any of us agree, on anything, and that we should all just go our separate ways, and let the states form smaller unions or remain independent nations, like Europe. (Though we all see how well that works.)

Anyway - what do you all think? Should there be some way to peacefully dissolve the United States and allocated federal assets equally between the states? Or do we wait until groups start localized insurrection like up in Oregon, followed by widespread civil upheaval with corresponding death, destruction and the probabilities of generations of poverty? Or do we just fiddle a *** ("j-ig" is a banned word? LOL) until the national debt causes a governmental failure and anarchy?
The constitution can be amended. Despite what some thing, the constitution can be changed, and according to the the writers of the document, probably should be every few generations.

In terms of things like gun rights, the issues isn't really that the US government exists or that the 2nd amendment exists. You don't need to dissolve the government to come to a conclusion. What's more important is that the two major parties become more moderate. This is difficult with some of the advocates for the parties want the opposite. Sarah Palin said at the American Freedom Summit that she wants to see the 'center moved to the right.' We could dismiss that as just being a Palin thing, but the reality is that she represents what Tea Party conservative think. And I could criticize the Democrats too, but what's the point. As long as one party is this bad, it doesn't matter if the other party is or isn't. And I assure you, considering Hillary Clinton is very likely to be the Democratic nominee, they are not much better off.

I'd assert that the only real failure of our government currently is how elections are determined. See, it was initially assumed that the average person is not smart enough to govern, so a system that is more representative rather than popular was introduced: the electoral college. This effectively means that you're vote doesn't matter at all unless over 50% of the state population voted the same way. The electoral college is no longer a good thing. Popular vote would be preferable as the resources to become an informed citizen are now readily available. Granted, we'd have to be more assertive in improving education standards and returning real journalism to our news networks, but even so, a popular vote would be far superior to the electoral college.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:48 PM

162 posts, read 146,871 times
There is no need to have a civil war or even a Constitutional Convention......simply cut taxes.....1776....every person pays flat 17% income tax......every person pays max 7% state taxes...every person pays max 6% local tax. All taxes include any money given to the government in tolls, fees or fines. Government shrinks accordingly.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 PM

50,816 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
There is no need to have a civil war or even a Constitutional Convention......simply cut taxes.....1776....every person pays flat 17% income tax......every person pays max 7% state taxes...every person pays max 6% local tax. All taxes include any money given to the government in tolls, fees or fines. Government shrinks accordingly.
So you just pulled numbers out of a hat?

Old 01-14-2016, 06:01 PM

162 posts, read 146,871 times
Default Kinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So you just pulled numbers out of a hat?

Yes..sounds good though?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:24 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I'm not seeing how you get a "right to insurrection" out of those cases. And I also don't see how insurrection becomes an "extra-constitutional power" in the legal sense.
Government exists at the whim and mercy of the people.

Insurrection is an inherent and innate part of the Human Existence, what you would call "Rights."

Jefferson says so in the Declaration of Independence, which is an authority under the Doctrine of Extra-Constitutionality.

Just as a President has all of the "rights" and "duties" enshrined in the Stamp Act Congress, the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation, so, too, do the People, and so do the States.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
everybody things that the bill of rights are rights for the people, right that government gives you, no, no ,no. There are rights that given by god that the government cant take from you. You do not have to have permission to have a gun, the rights are telling government they, (The government) cant touch your gun, its the same with speech and religions. the bill of rights are telling government to stay away from these.

the bill of right were written to control government not to control we the people. They was afraid of a strong government like a king coming up and forcing everything on the people. Its we the people because , we the people are the government boss. The government is weaker than the group of people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates