Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,250,503 times

Advertisements

The USA is an at-will employment country. As long as you don't have a contract and as long as basic civil rights aren't violated, you may quit at any time for any reason and likewise your employer may fire you at any time for any reason (or no reason).

If you were interviewed by a TV reporter for some reason and trash-talked your employer, would they be justified in firing you? I hope you would answer "yes". Social media is the same thing. A viral post or video can actually reach more people and cause more damage than a report on the evening news.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:26 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,670,709 times
people that have facebook, instagram and twitter or any of those things, leave them selves open to what ever happens.

Im glad Im smart enough to have none of them.

i can do laundry without anyone knowing what im doing. LOL

Old 02-04-2016, 12:53 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,123,807 times
The ability to quit at any time is only valuable in a employees market. Right now we are in an employers market so a defined contract would be highly valuable. In fact I tell employment agencies that there is no way I would ever move companies without a defined contract that made it really hard if not impossible for me to be fired without being paid out of the contract.

IF people, espeically degreed professionals stop tolerating at will employment then contracts will become the norm. Maybe someday when I am in a nursing home and its an employees market again then the need for contracts will go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
The USA is an at-will employment country. As long as you don't have a contract and as long as basic civil rights aren't violated, you may quit at any time for any reason and likewise your employer may fire you at any time for any reason (or no reason).

If you were interviewed by a TV reporter for some reason and trash-talked your employer, would they be justified in firing you? I hope you would answer "yes". Social media is the same thing. A viral post or video can actually reach more people and cause more damage than a report on the evening news.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:50 AM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
Professor who said Christians, Muslims worship same God to leave school - CSMonitor.com

NEW YORK — A professor at an evangelical university near Chicago who got in trouble after saying Muslims and Christians worship the same God will leave the school, according to a joint statement released by Wheaton College on Saturday night.

Larycia Hawkins, a tenured political science professor, had been scheduled for a disciplinary hearing in five days to determine whether she would be allowed to remain at Wheaton.

A joint statement said Hawkins and the college had "found a mutual place of resolution and reconciliation" and that the two sides "will part ways" after reaching a confidential agreement.

The controversy began on Dec. 10, when Hawkins wrote on Facebook
that she would don the hijab head scarf during the period of advent before Christmas as a sign of solidarity with Muslims.

"We worship the same God," she said in her post.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:50 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,918,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Clearly social media is making some people's jobs much easier.
Yeh....the type that get off on being professional snitches. Your wife should be ashamed of herself.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:00 AM

41 posts, read 14,900 times
A social media channel is not the right platform to discuss or post controversial things. Sometimes it goes worse and we get to see bad result from it. It is always better to discuss at right time to get sorted than getting in to problematic.

Old 09-19-2018, 01:02 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkemma1987 View Post
A social media channel is not the right platform to discuss or post controversial things. Sometimes it goes worse and we get to see bad result from it. It is always better to discuss at right time to get sorted than getting in to problematic.
Said who?

Apparently an awfully lot of people disagree with you. In fact, it's time to stop hiding beneath a veil of secrecy.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:27 AM

37,152 posts, read 42,260,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Said who?

Apparently an awfully lot of people disagree with you. In fact, it's time to stop hiding beneath a veil of secrecy.
Change your user name to your real name if you want. I like discussing things anonymously because it's easier for people to speak their minds and not pussyfoot around, worrying about who might cause problems for them IRL.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 AM

50,906 posts, read 24,404,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Change your user name to your real name if you want. I like discussing things anonymously because it's easier for people to speak their minds and not pussyfoot around, worrying about who might cause problems for them IRL.
You misunderstand my post.

I'm not suggesting that names should be poster, and I have revealed my name to individual posters a number of times.

What I'm talking about is getting ideas out in the open. Real freedom of thought and expression.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:26 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 9 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,605,492 times
If the speech creates negative PR for the company (aside from whistleblowing, harassment, and the like), yes. Businesses are not obligated to follow the First Amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates