Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times

Advertisements

I had a country coworker in Mississippi who would always come out with "It's gonna get worse!"

I think that applies here.

ISIS needs a good arse whoopin' though. Gotta eradicate that blight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,257,945 times
The world might end when we least expect it. It could be a sudden one-day nuclear war between ISIS and some random country. The pollution from that war could poison everyone on Earth, giving them all terminal radiation poisoning, which could make them gradually die out over a period of weeks or months, and their pets, and the animals of the forests, till only the insects were left, a few months later.

"
Some say the world will end in fire
Some say in ice
From what I've tasted of desire
I hold with those who favor fire
But if it had to perish twice
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice
"

Old 01-21-2016, 08:54 PM

50,906 posts, read 24,413,204 times
The problem with this country is that anytime things are going well, people turn it into a paper crisis.

This is just life.

Quit panicking over every little downturn.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:29 PM

1,893 posts, read 2,537,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
The world might end when we least expect it. It could be a sudden one-day nuclear war between ISIS and some random country. The pollution from that war could poison everyone on Earth, giving them all terminal radiation poisoning, which could make them gradually die out over a period of weeks or months, and their pets, and the animals of the forests, till only the insects were left, a few months later.
"
Or a giant meteor could impact the Earth and kill us all out like it did the dinosaurs. Or maybe a deadly pandemic might wipe out every last soul. How about Yellowstone erupting. Really though, there's always a "chance" of the end of the world as we know it but if you look at history, as a species in general, we actually have it pretty good right now. By most measurable statistics, humans are better off than they were in the past, and by a lot of measurements it's getting even better. I'm sure the Earth will be lifeless one day, but IMO that day is far, far in the future. In 5 billions years the Sun is expected to get so hot it'll wipe out life on Earth so maybe then if humans are still around they can worry about the end.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
most people on this thread need to get out more and open their eyes.
there is so much going on in the world today that we have never been so close to the edge before.
Or maybe people like you need to put things in PERSPECTIVE and realize that everything is RELATIVE. Sure there's more going on, there are exponentially more people on Earth than even 200 years ago. Close to the edge? I couldn't disagree more. Look at what's really happening and the SCALE of what's happening today and compare it to the past. You'll realize that the world is actually pretty damn peaceful now, groups like ISIS notwithstanding. Do you even know how many ISIS has killed? Roughly how many members does ISIS have? How many died in Vietnam, WWI, WWII? Without comparison, you saying we're near the end today carries zero credibility.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
I wouldn't consider myself ignorant, just wondering how you people feel out there, that's all. From what I gather, live one day at a time and enjoy it.
You gave an opinion that you sometimes feel the end of the world is near. You may not consider yourself ignorant but I do. Don't take it personally, we're all ignorant about some things. What makes you think things are worse then in the past and why? Can you throw out some statistics that show things are worse now than in the past? I can, to show the opposite is true. Just look at life expectancy, access to clean water, infant mortality rates, deaths from violent organized conflicts (ex. wars) worldwide, automobile deaths, violent crime rate in the US, the middle class around the world, the list goes on. You can google these numbers if you want to prove my point. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, the media, with it's reach greater than ever, makes many feel things are dire, as we're hearing about stories now that 50 years ago wouldn't even reach the average citizen. Ex. some think ISIS is a huge GLOBAL threat, well Americans kill each other at a rate of about 40 a day so in 3 days they'll have killed the same number as ISIS killed in Paris. And this goes on all year. Do you hear people say there is a civil war going on in America?

Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM

393 posts, read 410,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
You gave an opinion that you sometimes feel the end of the world is near. You may not consider yourself ignorant but I do. Don't take it personally, we're all ignorant about some things. What makes you think things are worse then in the past and why? Can you throw out some statistics that show things are worse now than in the past? I can, to show the opposite is true. Just look at life expectancy, access to clean water, infant mortality rates, deaths from violent organized conflicts (ex. wars) worldwide, automobile deaths, violent crime rate in the US, the middle class around the world, the list goes on. You can google these numbers if you want to prove my point. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, the media, with it's reach greater than ever, makes many feel things are dire, as we're hearing about stories now that 50 years ago wouldn't even reach the average citizen. Ex. some think ISIS is a huge GLOBAL threat, well Americans kill each other at a rate of about 40 a day so in 3 days they'll have killed the same number as ISIS killed in Paris. And this goes on all year. Do you hear people say there is a civil war going on in America?
One stat for you. In the entire lifespan of humanity, never has the human race had the ability to totally annihilate the entire species and all life with it, in the blink of an eye. (since nuclear proliferation). When certain peoples acquire "the bomb" and do not hesitate even with MAD, that is a scary thought.

When global economies collapse, and leaders become desperate, sabers rattle. That is what scares me. Not the individual, but the collective world leadership.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,359,800 times
Quote:

With all the turmoil in the world, killings, wars, and the global economic meltdown. How many of you think the end is pretty near. Or is this just a difficult cycle. I sometimes feel that this is it, and I've been around for 52 years, some up, some down.

What do you think. I guess, like the movie Signs, I'm looking for a bit of comfort.

K
By the end are you talking the end of all life on Earth?

Old 01-22-2016, 08:20 AM

5,411 posts, read 3,611,856 times
It dosent matter how many times I and other people say something/anything, if someone else dosent believe it they will never believe it no matter how many people or how many times it is repeated they still wont believe it.
until the event is right on top of them of course and by then its too late, far too late.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:13 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,706,091 times
Quote:
I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

With all the turmoil in the world, killings, wars, and the global economic meltdown. How many of you think the end is pretty near. Or is this just a difficult cycle. I sometimes feel that this is it, and I've been around for 52 years, some up, some down.

What do you think. I guess, like the movie Signs, I'm looking for a bit of comfort.

K
You have been watching the wrong news programs. The wars going on are pretty minor, violent crime is at its lowest level in decades, and the world is richer than it has ever been in human history. Things are going great.

The fly in the ointment is all the con artists who try to accumulate attention and power by making gloomy predictions. What they really want is control over you. Ignore them and they are fairly harmless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates