Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:09 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,000,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's not the process but the limited times and places that create difficulties; however, I thank you for being an ass about it. It would be much easier if I could just return it to the pharmacy at my convenience.
There's the charm! You're welcome, really.

So...it went from being a "genuine problem," to being a minor inconvenience? Is it really an inconvenience? The FDA says if you can't turn it in, just mix it with some inert, "undesirable" material, seal it in a baggie and put it in the trash. Not really that inconvenient.

_
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:26 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,609 times
Excessive use of opioids is becoming a problem in the U.S., no question about that. However, as posts on this thread bear out, there are many people with genuine need for these medications who find it increasingly hard to obtain them because of abuse by others.

Seems to me the focus should be on the doctors who basically sell prescriptions for profit. Effort should be made to separate those consumers who need the medications from those who use them recreationally or those who might have started out with a legitimate need and now are just addicted. People with a real need for pain relief should not be made to feel like they're morally weak, or that they are just cowards when it comes to pain because they want relief.

Ultimately, like many other perks of living in a civilized society, use of narcotics is a matter of personal judgment and responsibility. Some degree of government scrutiny and regulation are necessary, but the government will never substitute completely for personal responsibility in the use of potentially harmful things, whether we're talking about narcotics, cigarettes, gambling, firearms, or oversized cokes.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:42 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
I've had chronic pain for many years and years ago recognized I was becoming dependent on my pain medicine, so I began to be careful and spend more time in pain rather than hurrying for relief and that worked for me.

There came a time when I'd called in a refill to a local drugstore chain and when I went by to pick it up was told there was no ok for a refill. I spent 2 months suffering before I called my doctor's office and spoke with the office manager. She looked on my chart and told me the doctor had agreed to the refill. Subsequently, I learned it was the drugstore that refused. They carefully monitor refills of pain medication taken by their customers. The name begins with W. I switched my account immediately.

Fortunately, my pain is much less than it used to be and I rarely take anything for it nowadays.

I do think it's a shame when someone suffers severe pain day in and day out that they can't be given sufficient medication for it. Our country is so fearful someone will become addicted. Is it better to exist in such pain? I knew two people who took their own life last year rather than endure abject misery.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:49 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,037,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Who's "most people"? That's kind of a far-reaching statement, don't you think? After I had my wisdom teeth removed, Percocet was the only thing that kept me sane. The pain was unbelievable.

Having said that, I did really like taking the Percocet. After two weeks, during my follow up visit to the oral surgeon, I asked for a refill of my Percocet prescription. The oral surgeon politely told me that Tylenol would do me just fine from there on out..

_
Sissy...lol. I had the same surgery Friday and chugging along on ibuprofen. The bleeding and facial numbness is by far worse than the pain. I think I would be fine if that crap would stop.

I know everyone has different tolerances. I also have a previous jaw injury from an auto accident, among other injuries. I have walked around in pain for years so it is almost normal for me.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
All you had to do was refuse the prescription again, no one can force you to fill a prescription you do not want. I don't see how you had issues with this.
I did tell both the doctor and the pharmacist that I didn't want it. It was still sent home with me.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I am unclear on how your response was helpful.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
There's the charm! You're welcome, really.

So...it went from being a "genuine problem," to being a minor inconvenience? Is it really an inconvenience? The FDA says if you can't turn it in, just mix it with some inert, "undesirable" material, seal it in a baggie and put it in the trash. Not really that inconvenient.

_
You are not supposed to flush it or throw it away.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:15 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Well, pain clinics and else discussed are commonly called legal dealers. Just like anything else - any problem - just take a pill. Pill mania is strictly encouraged and implemented. It's not only benefiting the big pharm. It is also dumbing down the nation and degrading people. Also, it is opening door to developing addictions and then you need to look at what are the biggest profit sources in the world - natural resources, arms, narcotics, and sex. Narcotics slowly taking over arms market in its size.

Back in 'ol country a physician could not Rx a category A (narcotics were in it) drugs. Physician had to have 3 signatures on that Rx - his, department head physician and hospital/clinic chief physician. Wasn't easy. Jail times were also very steep. But then again, that was country were c-sections required same Sx-s and were allowed only under direct threat to mother life. So a large delivery hospital in a province capitol did 3-5 of c-sections a year.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:58 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,928 times
Maybe because I don't drink (nor am I on pain meds) But I don't get the big to-do over meds, while alcohol is not only extremely accepted but almost pushed onto society. I'm surprised how much drinking takes place on tv shows and movies and always has. Very few episodes of Bewitched for example, doesn't have a scene of them mixing drinks or asking for one.

I'd hate to be a young person in this day and age. I've heard you're almost an outcast if you don't want to get pooped faced every weekend. The way I look at it, pain meds have a purpose, booze doesn't but no one bats an eye when some one is hooked on the stuff. Some have sympathy for the alcoholic, but never for someone needing something for pain. Is it just a case of majority rules?

So some druggies abuse pills and its restricted to the point that folks have to suffer in pain, but you can buy booze almost anywhere. I'd feel safe in assuming more people have died from alcohol related causes than prescription meds. Also the fact that booze takes out innocents, where pills usually only take out only the abuser. I personally don't care what others put in their bodies, as long as they're not a danger to others.

I DO care when people have to suffer needlessly in pain because those swilling their booze, decide meds are a no-no.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:02 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,239,928 times
P.S. I also think most drugs should be legal or made easy to get. I'm tired of drug pushers getting uber rich, dangerous and powerful. Why our government is ok with the drug cartels getting what they should get, is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates