Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 04:59 PM

416 posts, read 630,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I thought if chris rock feels is so oppressed by all the racists then why is he there? Why choose to be among all these racists?
Probably because he's not a coward who runs from stressful situations, if nobody was brave enough to stand up when they see a problem, there would be no change. Ignoring problems just hoping they'll go away rarely ever works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 05:04 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
It is so true that many of the nominated films were period pieces and if black actors were cast in those I don't think they would be too happy, they would be roles like maid, butler, porter, slave 1-2-3 , angry slave 1-2-3. It was how it was back then.

Casting a black actor in a role just because is not the answer. It would feel forced like a form of affirmative action.
Hollywood likes meaty gripping stories both real and fictional. Training Day was a great movie.
There have been great non fiction movies made about black athletes and musicians breaking down the barriers of society in the era that they lived.

I would really like to see the black film making community come together and produce something terrific that will be worthy of the oscar nod next year instead of whining about how the world is not fair to them and how racist everyone is.

Oh yes, how wrong to cast a black person in some of these roles....completely preposterous!...but interestingly enough there have been many times whites have been given the roles of blacks in movie roles:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...o-wasnt-white/

But hey, I guess there were just NO black actors good enough so what else could they do...dear me!

Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Could you be considered Jewish and white in 1930's Germany?
Slavs were considered white and inferior, suitable only for slavery. Skin color didn't enter into it.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Could you be considered Jewish and white in 1930's Germany?
Is that the Nazi skinhead perspective you're espousing NOW in America?!

I guess Sicilians aren't white....hmmm...who else? Some would say the only true whites are blonde Danes, Swedes, and Norwegians....do YOU qualify?

Old 03-01-2016, 06:28 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Lunacy is alive and well in Hollywood.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:30 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,159,635 times
Certain people just can't let racism die it seems. If I was Will Smith I wouldn't be focused on the Oscars but rather my own whacked out kids and I would ask myself where did I go wrong.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
I think the point was that black actors want equal opportunity to star in films that have a chance at Academy recognition, not that "Straight Outta Compton" should have won Best Picture.
But....if Silver Linings Playbook can be nominated for Best Picture in 2012, Straight Outta Compton being nominated this year isn't that ridiculous.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:35 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
It's not really the Oscar's fault. Some of these "complainers" are so stupid. If anything, blame the darn production companies for not casting blacks. That's the "root of the problem" here. But then again, most people in performing arts tend to be white, just the same way most basketball players are black. Also, a lot of (American) football players seem to be black (at least from my perspective).

Maybe a lot of black people don't want find acting interesting? They prefer music and dance though - There are a lot of them in that industry. That's why we never hear "#GrammySoWhite" - We probably never would. After all, blacks invented predominant genres like, rock & roll, soul, jazz, house, etc. So they have recognition, but just not that much in the movies (or as much). It shouldn't be a problem. People just want to kvetch about everything.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:42 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,649,202 times
you can walk down two separate roads, one says hollywood reflects its own personal tastes that have nothing to do with america.the other says they just reflect america.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
do we look at an all black nba basketball team of millionaires and ask,,,,is the nba racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates