Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM

50,913 posts, read 24,413,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Incredibly Naive? I'm just reporting what happened at the Oscars and putting my opinion down and inviting others to join in the debate.

I think we all know there is a problem but then again black society makes up a small percentage of this nation but boy can they make a racket. The same goes for the gay community. There was one nominated movie that had a transgendered person in it.

I do think I hear what you are saying reneeh63. You are saying that Hollywood makes films for white audiences. At least the ones that get consideration from the academy. Oscar worthy movies are often movies that the majority wouldn't go to see anyway. I don't know too many black people that would willingly pay to see a period movie about a bunch of white women sitting around drinking tea in a Victorian era. Despite the lavish sets and costumes.

Of course this years big hit at the Oscars was Mad Max. It featured an academy award winning actress in it yet she wasn't even nominated? We didn't hear her griping about it. There was one black woman in the movie, one of the brides yet she wasn't nominated either. Mad Max did win a pile of awards.

Hollywood is a reflection of reality and sadly the stories of black people in American History has been one of struggle from slavery to civil rights to the struggle within that they face today.

Black people in the film industry need to step up and create something that has a mass appeal and still be oscar worthy. That is not an easy thing to do for anyone.

And thank goodness that minorities -- whatever they may be about -- do, because otherwise their voices would always be drowned out.

If the winning pictures are "often" movies that the majority won't go to see, then that paints the belief that you can't make a profitable movie without predominantly White actors rather irrelevant.

But what were "Mad Max" awards? All "technical" awards. Not best picture, best actress, best actor, best supporting actress, best supporting actor, direction, etc.

What kind of reality do you live in if you think Hollywood reflects reality? Hollywood has often been called things like "the dream factory". The single film you cite in your post is "Mad Max". Does that film reflect reality to you?

Finally, what you advocate in your last paragraph is the same old story -- separate but equal. There is a part of the industry out there that supports Black film-making. What many Black actors and film technicians are seeking is a seat at the big table, not being shuffled off to the little table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 10:33 AM

50,913 posts, read 24,413,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
It's not really the Oscar's fault. Some of these "complainers" are so stupid. If anything, blame the darn production companies for not casting blacks. That's the "root of the problem" here. But then again, most people in performing arts tend to be white, just the same way most basketball players are black. Also, a lot of (American) football players seem to be black (at least from my perspective).

Maybe a lot of black people don't want find acting interesting? They prefer music and dance though - There are a lot of them in that industry. That's why we never hear "#GrammySoWhite" - We probably never would. After all, blacks invented predominant genres like, rock & roll, soul, jazz, house, etc. So they have recognition, but just not that much in the movies (or as much). It shouldn't be a problem. People just want to kvetch about everything.
Now are you done with your kvetching?

Note in your blurb above, the one field that you're describing that Blacks can't get into anywhere near as easily as Whites is the one field that requires $$$$$ just to get up and running.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:37 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,037,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It seems like no country can exist without some kind of outcaste group they can kick around or kick to the ground, or simply ignore.
That was my point, it is an unfortunate factor in the human condition. Humans and animals, like to be with the same. That includes simple looks. What is more important IMO, is that people learn to set those differences aside and provide the same opportunities and respect, despite how unnatural it may feel.

Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 PM

24,532 posts, read 17,277,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And thank goodness that minorities -- whatever they may be about -- do, because otherwise their voices would always be drowned out.

If the winning pictures are "often" movies that the majority won't go to see, then that paints the belief that you can't make a profitable movie without predominantly White actors rather irrelevant.

But what were "Mad Max" awards? All "technical" awards. Not best picture, best actress, best actor, best supporting actress, best supporting actor, direction, etc.

What kind of reality do you live in if you think Hollywood reflects reality? Hollywood has often been called things like "the dream factory". The single film you cite in your post is "Mad Max". Does that film reflect reality to you?

Finally, what you advocate in your last paragraph is the same old story -- separate but equal. There is a part of the industry out there that supports Black film-making. What many Black actors and film technicians are seeking is a seat at the big table, not being shuffled off to the little table.

You missed my point. Most of the nominated movies were period pieces, they usually are and in most cases in history black people have been the maids and slaves or criminals. Movies that come to mind are Driving Miss Daisy, The Green mile, 12 years a slave, Roots.

I mentioned Mad Max because it did win the technical awards despite having an academy award winning actress in a lead role who wasn't even nominated. Miss Theron didn't threaten to boycott because of her snub. It wasn't that type of movie. Mad Max is not reality (yet) but many of the hit Hollywood movies are, they are slices of someones life their triumphs and struggles.
I'm not saying that black lives do not have enough interest to make a great movie but we have already seen much of their struggle in slave and civil rights based movies. There has been some terrific movies of black sports stars and another is coming soon called "Run" I think, that is about Jesse Owens and the 1936 olympics in Berlin.

I still say if anyone wants to make a movie that will be worthy of an academy award they need to make a outstanding movie and follow the rules to be nominated. The rules should not be altered to accept the so so movies in just to appease the PC crowd.

A few years back "12 years a slave" was nominated a bunch and won several awards. No one was complaining back then. It was a good, interesting, compelling movie.

Old 03-13-2016, 12:04 PM

426 posts, read 395,192 times
Hitler used to say all the time that Hollywood was Jewish. That's the general consensus.
Hollywood was created by Jewish refugees from Germany and Austria.
Never heard that "white crap".
Hollywood is a machinery that uses people from whatever background.
Blacks? Maybe they are not in fashion, who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates