Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 06:48 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,137,810 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought question for you. Would you vote for your favorite candidate in an election if that person was the opposite gender? For example, if Hillary Clinton was a man or Donald Trump was a woman? I see this as a measure of how equal we currently view the genders in their abilities to perform certain tasks. And this thought came to me from reading all those news articles quoting women about how it is time there was a woman president. For me anyway, the fact that a candidate has a certain gender, male or female, should have nothing to do with their capabilities in the political arena.

Please note, this is not a political debate but a gender equality debate.

Last edited by Jeo123; 03-02-2016 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: No Polls in Great Debates
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:37 AM

59 posts, read 65,959 times
I suspect that most rational people are a bit past caring whether a good candidate is male or female. I would hope everyone is, though I personally know a couple of men who are sexist enough that they might not believe a woman could handle the job. They probably wouldn't admit it however, as they realise how backwards that seems in this day and age.

What might be a more interesting question for this subject would be whether people would find the personal qualities of Trump or Clinton equally acceptable in a candidate of the opposite gender. I can't imagine a woman who presented herself like Donald Trump appealing to the same people he appeals to.

At this stage, it may be less about perceived ability and more about persona. Men can get away with speech and behaviour that still isn't tolerated in a woman.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurPan View Post
What might be a more interesting question for this subject would be whether people would find the personal qualities of Trump or Clinton equally acceptable in a candidate of the opposite gender.
That was part of what the question was meant to address. Too bad you could not have started the thread, FurPan!

Given the same persona, would you rather vote for a Hillary Clinton or a Harold Clinton? A Donald Trump or a Diana Trump? A Bernie or a Bernice? A Ted or a Tessa? Or would it matter not at all if the person was male or female?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,468,041 times
I dislike all candidates as they are now. So should I answer if I would equally dislike them as the opposite gender? The answer is yes.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:39 AM

oberon_1 you should instead ask yourself if you did like a candidate, Joe Perfect, would you like the person equally well if the person was a Joan Perfect? or vice versa. In other works, would gender have any effect on your decision?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:45 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,100,753 times
Gender does not matter to me.

I do have a problem with people who will vote for Hillary Clinton solely because she is a woman though. I honestly don't know many people who actually think like this, so I know it's not a widespread problem, but it does happen. In my mind, it's just as sexist to vote for someone because they are a certain sex as it is to refuse to vote for them because they are that sex. Reducing Hillary down to being a woman is offensive to her accomplishments. She's done more than be a woman.

No, I am not a Hillary supporter and many of her accomplishments are distasteful in my mind. It is that distaste that loses my vote though. Her being a woman is not even a factor. I fully support the idea of a female president, but I do not think we desperately need one. The fact that one of the front runners for a major party is a woman shows a woman can be president. But she must be democratically elected, and of the many people I know who are not voting for her, not one is doing so because she is a woman.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM

7,788 posts, read 6,404,338 times
A street survey the other day asked for "a one word description of Hilliary". "Liar" was the most common response. That is not a gender issue.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:52 PM

102,235 posts, read 108,076,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
A street survey the other day asked for "a one word description of Hilliary". "Liar" was the most common response. That is not a gender issue.
It looks like we'll be stuck with her for at least 4 years. We'll have to make the best of it.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:34 AM

Calling someone a liar is not a gender issue, it's an advertising ploy.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,697,780 times
I suspect Clinton is getting a lot of gender support.
I believe if gender was not an issue Bernie Sanders would be well in the lead.
I doubt Obama would have been elected if not for the heacvy black vote.
It is sad that many voters will vote based on race or gender instead of the issues. As a result we will most likely have another corporate puppet who will do the bidding of Wall Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates