Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times

Advertisements

I moved from socal where the quakes are natural to Oklahoma where they are profit driven. Now even the insurence companies are dividing them into two catagories. The oil companies are wailing about how since oil dropped their profits are too, and ignoring that if they caused them they should pay for quake damage.

Lots different from when you jump up and say 'earthquake' and check for potential falling objects while the dog is running and barking. The day we had four, the last strong for the area and 80 year old houses, I kinda jumped each time it felt like it might be another one.

And while I can approach a potential tornade on guard but functioning, and this area has never had one go through it, I still sit there and watch the radar and tell myself it will be okay. I suppose if you have lived here longer than seven years you chill out a bit more.

Yellowstone goes, just kiss the furry kids good bye and tell the human ones to hide and finish off that icecream or wine or whatever you were trying to to kill off in a sitting since it won't matter long. Given that there's be no food and other survivors to watch out for if there was, stop worrying and enjoy life here and now.

Pugent Sound was very interesting. I think they mentioned it slipped so fast in the ancient slide that there was a village which slipped into the muck in one piece.

Don't tick of Mother Nature. She'll win.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Of course I don't.

Yellowstone erupts at intervals of around three quarters of a million years. Since I'm 47, I probably have less than half a century left. Those facts alone should clarify things. And even if one is of the "But it's due!" crowd (it's not 'due' - at present we're about 50,000 years short of the shortest historic interval), there's the simple fact that even if we somehow knew that it would erupt in the next 10,000 years (a far smaller window than the margin of error on such calculi allows), the odds of it happening in any human lifetime would still be 100-1. And, as noted, we don't (and can't) know that.

Basically, I'm not worried about it because I can do basic math.
Statistically you probably have 33 - 36 years left.

But who knows? One can get in a car accident, right?!?!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:20 PM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I was just reading on a government site about the caldera. It said that since placing the monitors thirty years ago little change in activity has been noted. If so, and compared to earlier activity in my lifetime, there seems to be a significant change.

I had visited there with my parents in the mid sixties and revisited about a decade ago and I remember noting the difference immediately. During my last visit it was like the Fourth of July compared to my first visit! The area around Old Faithful was alive with geysers going off. Even the rare Steamboat one. (Think I named that one right.)

Perhaps I just hit a particularly shaky summer.
Maybe. But geysers are also more active depending on the water table level, and that is usually based on precipitation.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
I think Woody Harrelson had the right idea in the movie "2012". A ringside seat.
I think Woody's sanity on and off screen may be questionable.

Me, I'd be looking at Patagonia. Probably the only safe place.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,335 times
Now I am really scared. i have been trying to think of a safe place to live and can't think of one. I live in Long Island and now I have to worry about either a Tsunami or another Sandy. I though Wyoming or Montana might be safe but I forgot about Yellowstone. My sister in law lives in Tulsa but what about tornadoes. I grew up in Los Angeles but they have earthquakes, smog and Hollywood. Australia has giant wild fires. The Sahara desert is growing and moving. South Pacific Islands are threatened by volcanoes and rising seas. South America has this Zika? mosquito thing , West Central Africa had the deadly outbreak that was going to come to America (whose name escapes me at this moment), The Avian Flue is usually in China...
To make matters worse my wife and I just watched The Upside-down (Poseidon) Adventure last night. Forget boats now. The captain of the boat was also the pilot of the airplane in "Airplane". Coincidence?...I think not.

Quote:
but you tell me over and over and over again my friend, ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction.
excuse me while I go hide under a rock.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 AM

78,352 posts, read 60,547,237 times
If Yellowstone blows up you'll have immediate threat of death via pyroclastic flow for anyone down-range for 1000miles or so. No bunker will save you etc. as you'll just cook to death in it or be suffocated by 40 feet of 500+ degree debris....you just have to get out of the path.

Then you basically will have a global cooling for a while which will cause foot shortages etc.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:20 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I think Woody's sanity on and off screen may be questionable.

Me, I'd be looking at Patagonia. Probably the only safe place.
Patagonia is in the ring of fire. If yellowstone goes, some place in the ring of fire will go too.

I would move to Australia if things begin to rattle and roll.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,272,409 times
Check the 'self-sufficiency and preparedness' forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates