Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,933,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
If we can afford to have the most powerful military in the world, then we can afford to give Americans healthcare without them going bankrupt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree. I have often said that there ought to be a few things that -- as Americans -- we benefit from in pretty much the richest and most blessed nation in the world. And in my view, having good healthcare for all should be one of those benefits.
Just want to clarify my opinion here. I agree with both responses above. It's time for universal health care in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 06:13 PM

10,074 posts, read 7,250,903 times
It makes sense just in terms of efficiency of health care itself.

I get annoyed NEVER knowing how much any particular health care I or my family will need is going to cost. I would be okay with paying for it out of pocket if I knew how much it would cost.... but I never have any clue. Not even doctors know! When I ask them about specific costs, they give me a baffled look!

They can usually answer if a particular course of action will be less or more expensive but they never have even a ballpark $ figure.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
It makes sense just in terms of efficiency of health care itself.

I get annoyed NEVER knowing how much any particular health care I or my family will need is going to cost. I would be okay with paying for it out of pocket if I knew how much it would cost.... but I never have any clue. Not even doctors know! When I ask them about specific costs, they give me a baffled look!

They can usually answer if a particular course of action will be less or more expensive but they never have even a ballpark $ figure.
Agree it's annoying!

& only the insurance company knows for sure! After all, they wrote the legislation:

"...In the 1993, the Clinton administration proposed a health care reform bill similar to the ACA in that it required bosses to provide some sort of minimum coverage to their workforce, but it also proposed to increase funding to cover people who were too poor to afford insurance. But this was shot down by the pressure of the big health care companies because they claimed it regulated too much their ability to charge outrageous prices. Out of this debate, a proposal emerged from the right wing think tank, the Heritage Foundation: rather than increasing public funds for health insurance, individuals should be required by law to buy insurance. The insurance would be subject to minor regulations, but the health care companies profits would be further guaranteed.

In 2008, the Obama administration wrote the ACA in collaboration with all the major players in the health care industry, the drug and insurance companies, the major hospital chains, and lobbyists representing the largest employers in the country.

Essentially the bill is the same as the Heritage Foundation plan from the 1990s.

...Essentially, the ACA was designed to write the for-profit health care system into law, increase corporate profits, and to discourage people from demanding a health care system that would actually provide real health care coverage for all. The ACA wasn’t written to fix a broken system – it was written to ensure that the broken system would be kept in place. After all, from the standpoint of the health care industry, the system is working just fine for their profits."

Obamacare or Corporate-care: The Writing of the Affordable Care Act | Speak Out Now

Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 AM

Most likely the worst thing about it all is the fact that people are discouraged from demanding a health care system that would actually provide real health care coverage for all.

Cui bono?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates