Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,422,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezguitar View Post
The "individualist" is an interesting argument. I've also heard that living in cold environments may have played a role in increased IQ, given how much more difficult it is.

It's a great topic of discussion.
I agree with the cold environment argument. If you look at any group of people from a particular climate, you will see overwhelming patterns of behavior attached to that group - even after they moved to another climate.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:51 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,817,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Read the book Guns, Germs, and Steel, and you'll understand why.

It has NOTHING to do with some laughable "innate superiority" of whites and everything to do with climate, diseases, animals that could be domesticated, crops available for farming, and other resources. It's not about "how the white man is innately smarter" - skin color and random cultural trappings, such as god-figures worshiped, had nothing to do with the outcome.
The OP inquired about success not superiority. That the White Race has been more successful that any other by any measure is indisputable.

Just as successful people are not necessarily superior to others, neither are successful races necessarily superior to other ones. But that doesn't negate their achievements.

On the subject of climate, I suppose England's is more favorable than the Sahara and Gobi deserts or America's great Alkali Plain. But it has nothing approaching the Great Plains, Steppe, Savannah, or Pampas. These regions are vastly better for agriculture to anything west of the Vistula.

The Germans were able to farm in German Southwest Africa while the natives weren't. They used bird crap cliffs on the coast to fertilize the interior.

Germs are everywhere. Malaria, syphilis, dengue fever plagued non-white races long before small-pox. Whites also were decimated by invasive germs. The Black Death literally decimated Europe.

Buffaloes could be domesticated, as a poster on another thread demonstrated with a picture of one. Lamas are domesticated. Some breeds of cattle were native to Africa. Corn (the maize kind) is American. But horticulture and animal husbandry, as organized studies and practices, were unknown outside of Europe and maybe China.

Mass produced steel is not a gift of fortune but an invention of the White Race. They benefited because they thought of it first, not because of a turn of fortune.

Old 04-23-2016, 06:32 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,422,504 times
Actually its not good climates that determine grit and dominance - its the less favorable climates that test people's mettle. Cold, snowy, windy climates forced people to work together, be more organized, inventive etc. Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell touches on this phenomenon. Of particular interest - the link between Asian " superior intelligence" and rice farming.

Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 PM

171 posts, read 143,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
The OP inquired about success not superiority. That the White Race has been more successful that any other by any measure is indisputable.

Just as successful people are not necessarily superior to others, neither are successful races necessarily superior to other ones. But that doesn't negate their achievements.

On the subject of climate, I suppose England's is more favorable than the Sahara and Gobi deserts or America's great Alkali Plain. But it has nothing approaching the Great Plains, Steppe, Savannah, or Pampas. These regions are vastly better for agriculture to anything west of the Vistula.

The Germans were able to farm in German Southwest Africa while the natives weren't. They used bird crap cliffs on the coast to fertilize the interior.

Germs are everywhere. Malaria, syphilis, dengue fever plagued non-white races long before small-pox. Whites also were decimated by invasive germs. The Black Death literally decimated Europe.

Buffaloes could be domesticated, as a poster on another thread demonstrated with a picture of one. Lamas are domesticated. Some breeds of cattle were native to Africa. Corn (the maize kind) is American. But horticulture and animal husbandry, as organized studies and practices, were unknown outside of Europe and maybe China.

Mass produced steel is not a gift of fortune but an invention of the White Race. They benefited because they thought of it first, not because of a turn of fortune.

Let me take you to school on this. You sound like someone who needs a pedantic lecture but I don't have time for that.

- Who do you consider white in your definition of " White race " ?
Jews ? Greeks ? Serbians ? Bosnians ? How about Arabs ?

- When did your ' White race " become " indisputably successful " ?
3300 B.C - There was such a thing called the Indus Valley civilization. Look it up. What was your " White race " doing at that time. Let's fast forward to 500 A.D . What about now ?
Lets move forward another 1000 years . What was your " white race " doing now ?

- You say that Races or people which are more successful than others are " not necessarily " superior . You are right. The rest of your post though is boastful and contradicts this statement.

If you say that Northern Europeans ( Germanic peoples ) have been more successful than others since the mid 18th century , that's about 250 years. Starting from 3300 BC till now , thats more than 5000 years of recorded human history. There have been empires and civilizations at times when Northern Europeans didn't have a written language and were eating cat poop for supper.

Also , if anyone can claim success for the " White race " , it is these Northern europeans. The rest of Europe has not contributed jack-**** to anything. Even off shoots of Western Europe - US ( settled by the english, germans and dutch initially ) , Australia, Canada etc are their achievements.

So finally , the point is that every group of people have been successful from time to time. Every dog has it's day. When China was building the great wall there was no internet around for chinese people to brag about it on.

I think the thing the " white race " has been " most successful " at is blowing it's own trumpet.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude5568 View Post
Let me take you to school on this. You sound like someone who needs a pedantic lecture but I don't have time for that.

- Who do you consider white in your definition of " White race " ?
Jews ? Greeks ? Serbians ? Bosnians ? How about Arabs ?

- When did your ' White race " become " indisputably successful " ?
3300 B.C - There was such a thing called the Indus Valley civilization. Look it up. What was your " White race " doing at that time. Let's fast forward to 500 A.D . What about now ?
Lets move forward another 1000 years . What was your " white race " doing now ?

- You say that Races or people which are more successful than others are " not necessarily " superior . You are right. The rest of your post though is boastful and contradicts this statement.

If you say that Northern Europeans ( Germanic peoples ) have been more successful than others since the mid 18th century , that's about 250 years. Starting from 3300 BC till now , thats more than 5000 years of recorded human history. There have been empires and civilizations at times when Northern Europeans didn't have a written language and were eating cat poop for supper.

Also , if anyone can claim success for the " White race " , it is these Northern europeans. The rest of Europe has not contributed jack-**** to anything. Even off shoots of Western Europe - US ( settled by the english, germans and dutch initially ) , Australia, Canada etc are their achievements.

So finally , the point is that every group of people have been successful from time to time. Every dog has it's day. When China was building the great wall there was no internet around for chinese people to brag about it on.

I think the thing the " white race " has been " most successful " at is blowing it's own trumpet.
I use White and European interchangeably, generally. There are no perfect definitions or boundaries.

Sure, other races and non-European civilization had their moments in the sun. So did dinosaurs. And almost any parallel that can be drawn between them is valid.

A losing horse can lead every lap except the last. His name will be forgotten as surely as those of all the other euphemistically named "2nd place finishers" who came before him.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:23 PM

171 posts, read 143,026 times
Quote:
I use White and European interchangeably, generally. There are no perfect definitions or boundaries.

Sure, other races and non-European civilization had their moments in the sun. So did dinosaurs. And almost any parallel that can be drawn between them is valid.

A losing horse can lead every lap except the last. His name will be forgotten as surely as those of all the other euphemistically named "2nd place finishers" who came before him.
I have no idea what you just wrote means.

The point is that Europeans except Germanic people ( western europeans roughly ) have contributed nothing to progress which the " white race " is credited with for the last couple of centuries. If your descent can be traced back to - Germans , Danish , English , Flemish ,Dutch , Swedish, Norwegians etc , I can see your point a little bit but any other european ... get outta here. You're just piggy backing off the achievements of others.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:26 PM

10,415 posts, read 15,665,802 times
Quote:

Funny you would say something like that , non-whites were
finishing (1) in ( first place) moreso than white Caucasian until just 450 years ago " so other races " hold more gold medals and world championship and Kentucky Derby
Victories than the Whites Race as far as history is concerned. And something else to make you put
your thinking cap on ( Why Did You White Caucasian ) name BLACK INDIAN FROM INDIA (Caucasian) that doesn't make any sense now does it ?

Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 AM

I've heard American Indians called Redskin Indians to distinguish them from the India Indian kind but I've never heard of BLACK INDIAN except as an epithet.

What was going on in India and China 500 years ago that was so great? Burying lepers alive, burning wives on their husbands' pyres? I understand they had some great religions, philosophers, mathemticians maybe. The Burmese built some neat temples. Aztecs raised human sacrifice to an art.

Maybe these were great but so were the achievements of Greece and Rome. Greater even. Greek philosophy and maths, Roman engineering, governance and law were peerless.

The Dark Ages ruined a lot but India for sure had its equivalents. I don't think China's story is one of uninterrupted triumph either. The Middle East is mired in the Dark Ages still.

So saying we were #2 or #5 500 years ago isn't entirely accurate. And the real test came when the various civilization contacted each other. In every case one would prevail and one concede and the one that prevailed and prevails still is the West.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude5568 View Post
I have no idea what you just wrote means.

The point is that Europeans except Germanic people ( western europeans roughly ) have contributed nothing to progress which the " white race " is credited with for the last couple of centuries. If your descent can be traced back to - Germans , Danish , English , Flemish ,Dutch , Swedish, Norwegians etc , I can see your point a little bit but any other european ... get outta here. You're just piggy backing off the achievements of others.
That's a family squabble as far as I'm concerned. Italian art is the greatest in history. And as Junior said, Italians taught the world how to eat. French philosophy made the world. Spanish exploration found the world. There's plenty of credit to go around.

Opera is up for grabs. German, Italian: you can go round and round.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:42 PM

10,415 posts, read 15,665,802 times
Quote:
I've heard American Indians called Redskin Indians to distinguish them from the India Indian kind but I've never heard of BLACK INDIAN except as an epithet.

What was going on in India and China 500 years ago that was so great? Burying lepers alive, burning wives on their husbands' pyres? I understand they had some great religions, philosophers, mathemticians maybe. The Burmese built some neat temples. Aztecs raised human sacrifice to an art.

Maybe these were great but so were the achievements of Greece and Rome. Greater even. Greek philosophy and maths, Roman engineering, governance and law were peerless.

The Dark Ages ruined a lot but India for sure had its equivalents. I don't think China's story is one of uninterrupted triumph either. The Middle East is mired in the Dark Ages still.

So saying we were #2 or #5 500 years ago isn't entirely accurate. And the real test came when the various civilization contacted each other. In every case one would prevail and one concede and the one that prevailed and prevails still is the West.

Boy communicating with you is so much fun but and that's a big butt you still haven't answered my question why did White European Caucasian name Black India Indian Caucasian (???). they aren't of the white race.

And another thought to make you ponder is why the first become the last and the last become the first (???). Rome defeated Greece which was a superior CULTURE and stole
theirs advance technology , and Rome also Crushed THE
GERMANS who were little more than cavemen during that
era (???) , Lo and behold the MODERN GERMAN had the
most advanced technology in the World up until theirs Defeat by the United States of America and the United Kingdom (???) Germany was ahead of the USA in development of the Atomic Bomb ( Until It's Jewish Top Minds Defected ) to the USA (???)Who had the best TANKS
(???) WHO had the best automatic weapons (???) WHO INVENTED THE FIGHTER JET AIRPLANE (???)WHO were undergoing advanced testing of flying saucers (???) NON-
OTHER THAN THOSE BACKWARD CAVEMEN GERMAN.. LOL...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates