Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 09:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
If Bernie would expand his program to include technical schools teaching useful trades like welding, equipment operation, pipe fitting, etc., then I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any "public" technical schools. I may be wrong, but I believe all are private....
I haven't read through this thread, but there are hundreds of community colleges that offer degrees in trades. The one just down the road from me (less than a mile) offers diesel technology, welding and a few other trades. The technology school section of it is hard to beat -- wonderful facilities, experienced teachers, nearly 100% job placement, mostly to jobs paying $75K/year or higher. The various community colleges throughout Wyoming (all under one state umbrella) teach differing trades, in addition to the standard educational fare.

I *think* they insist that students also take the standard courses required for a 2-year degree to graduate. I have a grandson who wanted to study welding, but he opted to attend a private tech school because he didn't want to take English, algebra, government, biology, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 09:31 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
If elected President, one of the things Senator Sanders would like to do is have government paid tuition for all public universities and colleges. I do not want to debate the idea or the costs...

The question I have is what would become of the private universities and colleges- Ivy League schools like Yale, Harvard... Religious private universities and colleges that are around the country... medical universities.... and others.

It would seem to me that their enrollments would drop appreciably. With a large drop in revenue, could they not only stay afloat but continue to provide the level of education they currently enjoy?

Is it possible it would destroy the private education industry in this country?

Would this be a good thing when trying to train people to be the best and the brightest?

Many European and other countries already operate sort of along those lines. However you'll also find heavy tracking of students so only the "best" and "brightest" (as deemed by academic record and perhaps testing) are admitted to four year colleges and onto post graduate such as medicine, law, etc..

Once there such students pay nil to little tuition.

France is one such place: Higher education in France: Lots of testing, lots of planning, not lots of money.

In Great Britain college tuition is set and capped by government: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuitio...United_Kingdom

Old 03-24-2016, 11:53 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is a common misconception. It's often cheaper to attend a high quality private institution than it is to attend a public school.

For example, in NJ, a family making $70,000/yr will find it cheaper to attend Princeton University than Rutgers University thanks to financial aid.

Sorry, but I call BS on this.

Rutgers Admissions | What does it cost annually?

As you will see, in-state tuition, not including housing, does not cost more than 13-14k per year at any of the campuses.

Same at Princeton?

45k+

https://admission.princeton.edu/fina...ayment-options

If by financial aid you mean "loans," then yes, I would believe you can get more loans via Princeton.

I would hope that you are smart enough not to be counting loans as something that will make "tuition cheaper" at private schools.

I made that mistake when initially opening my "financial aid packages" from private schools and quickly seeing "cost of attendance" being less than the cost of yearly tuition.

A serious killjoy when read it more closely.

Last edited by Utopian Slums; 03-25-2016 at 12:01 AM..

Old 03-25-2016, 05:08 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
You really think the educational needs of 2016 are comparable to the educational needs of prior centuries?

Look up average lifetime earnings of college graduates compared to lifetime earnings of non-college grads. The fact that you know some anecdotes doesn't disprove the data.

Most of your statements here are just little maxims that don't actually further a coherent argument: "Want free college....join the military or get a scholarship," "Life isn't easy, you need to work hard for what you want and cant and should not rely on anyone but yourself to make things happen." Those statements don't say anything about why free public college is a bad idea. We currently have free public high school, and that has worked out tremendously well.

You mention that your kids (who are ten) already have a college fund, and that is an indication of responsibility. Responsibility on the part of whom? Surely not your kids. It's reflective of you, the parent. What are kids who don't have responsible parents supposed to do? The days of being able to put one's self through college waiting tables are gone. College is too expensive.
My outlook is "suck it up buttercup". I did not have any money set aside for college when I was younger. I was working two part time jobs to make ends meet. I knew I that I wanted to go to college to better myself but couldn't afford to do so. I then joined the military and now have a bachelors degree free and clear with additional money leftover that I was able to transfer over to my children. My wife got scholarships for school, but as I said, we are still paying the remainder of her student loans and she graduated in 2001. No biggie, its just like buying a new car and financing it....do I really need that new car, no, but I got one so now I need to pay for it. There are options out there that don't require a degree while still making great money.

What happened to trade schools? Many of these trades earn far more than what many other careers that require a degree earn. Ever see what an electrician charges per hour? or a mechanic? or a plumber? There are other ways to excel in life besides getting a degree. The problem is you need motivation to drive yourself to do so. No one should hold your hand.

Again, college is a privilege.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:32 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Under my system, all taxes are voluntary. Therefore, if you did not want to pay for defense, you wouldn't have to. You would be freeloading off the other citizens, but you would be free to that if you decided you did not want to pay. Once a tax is voluntary, and compulsion and coercion are removed, all citizens may rationally judge for themselves what taxes they should pay, and what they taxes they will pay. Individuals in a free society are good enough to make that decision.

And what would they decide? And what would I decide? I would decide to pay to keep my country safe from foreign invaders. How much? Maybe 20%, it depends on how strong I decide we need to be. The military budget would be a summation of that judgment made by all the citizens acting in their own individual rational self-interest. I am sure that it would be huge, especially in view of the madness that has spread through the base and primitive theocracies of the Middle East.

Don't be afraid W'sG! Don't be a social engineer, it's a debauched and disgusting avocation. And a much worse vocation.
All taxes are voluntary how do you think that would play out?

I've read enough of your posts to see your isms are completely unworkable, not even good science fiction.

And again, you are a real estate agent! Your business depends on sound infrastructure, schools, belief in the area enough to invest, all requiring money to maintain. And you think nothing is free but want the crux of your business to be free.

I'd recommend sanitizing your CD user name, if potential clients google you and find your nonsensical, radical views here, they'll find a sane agent.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:41 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,122,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

As you will see, in-state tuition, not including housing, does not cost more than 13-14k per year at any of the campuses.

Same at Princeton?

45k+

If by financial aid you mean "loans," then yes, I would believe you can get more loans via Princeton.

I would hope that you are smart enough not to be counting loans as something that will make "tuition cheaper" at private schools.

I made that mistake when initially opening my "financial aid packages" from private schools and quickly seeing "cost of attendance" being less than the cost of yearly tuition.

Maybe that is your experience, but Princeton has an enrollment of about 8,500 students and an endowment of $22 billion. Rutgers has an enrollment of 66,000 and an endowment of $1 billion. Princeton is going to offer more scholarships and private grant money than Rutgers can.

I have a good student deciding between a public university and a private college. Private college found out she could not afford the initial offer they made, so the gave her a full scholarship to attend. Much cheaper than public.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 AM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

Same at Princeton?

45k+

A number of ivy schools has RADICALLY increased non-loan aid to lower income families in more recent years. Harvard lead the charge and a lot of it is frankly aimed at subverting the Ivy rules against giving sports scholarships. (Please note Harvard has been in the NCAA tournament now something like 4 years in a row after a 60 year or so hiatus. It's not accidental.)

I haven't looked at Princeton specifically but I looked at Harvard etc. just in the last year and if your family income is under 60-65k (I forget the exact number) it's FREE. Not just Free tuition. FREE.
From there it scales up to around 150k where it would cost around 20k in total....but above that you could be looking at the full price tag.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
All taxes are voluntary how do you think that would play out?

I've read enough of your posts to see your isms are completely unworkable, not even good science fiction.

And again, you are a real estate agent! Your business depends on sound infrastructure, schools, belief in the area enough to invest, all requiring money to maintain. And you think nothing is free but want the crux of your business to be free.

I'd recommend sanitizing your CD user name, if potential clients google you and find your nonsensical, radical views here, they'll find a sane agent.

Actually my "crazy" posts generate business. You'd be surprised how many of us crazies are roaming about. And unsupervised no less!

Old 03-25-2016, 08:36 AM

569 posts, read 552,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
If elected President, one of the things Senator Sanders would like to do is have government paid tuition for all public universities and colleges. I do not want to debate the idea or the costs...

The question I have is what would become of the private universities and colleges- Ivy League schools like Yale, Harvard... Religious private universities and colleges that are around the country... medical universities.... and others.

It would seem to me that their enrollments would drop appreciably. With a large drop in revenue, could they not only stay afloat but continue to provide the level of education they currently enjoy?

Is it possible it would destroy the private education industry in this country?

Would this be a good thing when trying to train people to be the best and the brightest?
Does free tution mean free diplomas?

Old 03-25-2016, 09:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Actually my "crazy" posts generate business. You'd be surprised how many of us crazies are roaming about. And unsupervised no less!
And none of you "built that". You won the parent lottery and were born middle class or better. You didn't pay one thin dime for your educations and you possibly didn't even pay for your homes. I mean... housing is probably the biggest expense an American has and more than half of Conservatives pay nothing for their housing except maybe the property taxes... ... hmmm...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates