Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 06:08 AM

389 posts, read 330,428 times

Advertisements

Should owners of potentially dangerous animals be charged with a felony for not maintaining strict control of their animal?

We all know the serious harm a large dog can do to a child and even an adult. Life altering harm. We often hear dog owners say there are no bad dogs only bad owners. Should the owner be criminally charged for not preventing their dog from rushing and threatening someone on the street or sidewalk? And should those charges be even more severe if the dog bites or attacks? In other words should the owners be held responsible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2016, 06:48 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
A felony? No.

I think the current state in the Us wherein a dog owner faces potentially unlimited settlements against them in civil court the second time their dog bites someone is fair enough.

A cow or pig could kill most people fairly easily if it took it in its mind to do so, but we wouldn't consider punishing their owners. Should dogs be different because they look scarier?

Old 04-09-2016, 10:51 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Yes...the owner should be criminally charged.
cows don't kill...ever....pigs maybe, if they're cornered and have no way out....a rotten dog will attack anyone, man women or child...for no reason.
If you wanna own a dangerous dog, then you should be responsible for any harm it does to another.

Old 04-09-2016, 10:57 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Yes...the owner should be criminally charged.
cows don't kill...ever....pigs maybe, if they're cornered and have no way out....a rotten dog will attack anyone, man women or child...for no reason.
If you wanna own a dangerous dog, then you should be responsible for any harm it does to another.
Trampled To Death By Cows: It Happens More Often Than You Think

This is about the surprising number of people killed by cows in the UK which is hardly a world leader in agriculture.

Seriously search man killed by cows. You'll alternate between stories like this and one about a Brazilian man who had a cow fall through his ceiling.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:58 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
An animal is only considered “dangerous” if it is vicious or prone to hurting people willfully. All wild animals are considered dangerous, but a domesticated animal is only dangerous if its individual behavior is vicious.
Here are current rules by state:
Dangerous or Vicious Animals* By State | Landlord.com
Some states impose strict liability upon animal owners whose animals bite or attack others.
If you have animals in your care, you should take reasonable care to prevent reasonably foreseeable harm to someone else. You fail to use ordinary care when you do something a reasonably careful person would not have done in the same situation. If you fail to control domestic animals in your care, you knew the animal was dangerous, and you behaved unreasonably in the way you restrained the animal - you might be liable for the damages. Again, see the laws above.
Most people are not aware that animals are still considered property. Although many cities have adopted legislation redefining the owner of an animal as a “guardian,” the federal government and the states still recognize animals as property. The statement opens a completely new can of worms, often protected by Fourth Amendment.
People caring for animals, especially those considered dangerous, should get accustomed with the rules and regulations, and their rights as the owners.
Those are California laws, so check the laws for your state:
Animal Custody Cases

Old 04-09-2016, 12:28 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,910,427 times
Owners of dangerous animals including certain dog breeds should be required to have insurance.

Other types of insurance are required by law like vehicle insurance, health insurance and forced payments (from income) into Social Security insurance.

So, own a dangerous animal: Get insurance.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:09 PM

389 posts, read 330,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
An animal is only considered “dangerous” if it is vicious or prone to hurting people willfully. All wild animals are considered dangerous, but a domesticated animal is only dangerous if its individual behavior is vicious.
But the question is should those laws be updated. Why shouldn't criminal action be taken against the owner the first time they don't control their animal and it bites or charges and threatens people? Its no different from other criminally negligent activities where there is a likelihood of serious injuries. Wanton endangerment, failure to protect a child, etc. According to the CDC there are ~4.5 million dog bites annually in the US. And occasionally a child gets their face chewed off by the neighbor's dog. I understand all dogs are not equal and some are more capable of doing severe damage than others. But holding owners more responsible seems a good step forward.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:47 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
I have a lady behind me who has two dogs(Rottweilers) that literally fight each other and they are viscous. They growl and bite each other until she separates them. This goes on every day. I hope and pray if the dogs ever turn on anyone it is her. She has told me to mind my own business when I asked her why she was allowing them to fight like that. I contacted animal control and they said until the dogs attack someone there is nothing they can do. Thankfully we both have fences so the dogs can't get into my yard but they are a ticking time bomb. If they attack someone she should definitely be charged with a felony.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:50 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I have a lady behind me who has two dogs(Rottweilers) that literally fight each other and they are viscous. They growl and bite each other until she separates them. This goes on every day. I hope and pray if the dogs ever turn on anyone it is her. She has told me to mind my own business when I asked her why she was allowing them to fight like that. I contacted animal control and they said until the dogs attack someone there is nothing they can do. Thankfully we both have fences so the dogs can't get into my yard but they are a ticking time bomb. If they attack someone she should definitely be charged with a felony.
Bingo.

It amazes me the people who INSIST on owning Rottweilers or pit bulls as if there aren't other dogs like golden retrievers, labs, hound dogs, toy poodles, boxers etc. They INSIST that their dog HAS, HAS to be (usually) a pit bull. Anyone who does that, if their dog harms someone, it should be an automatic criminal charge. Period.

Old 04-09-2016, 06:52 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
A felony? No.

I think the current state in the Us wherein a dog owner faces potentially unlimited settlements against them in civil court the second time their dog bites someone is fair enough.

A cow or pig could kill most people fairly easily if it took it in its mind to do so, but we wouldn't consider punishing their owners. Should dogs be different because they look scarier?
There's are reasons that people aren't allowed to keep cows and pigs in residential areas - safety is one of those reasons (and, yes, there are criminal penalties for doing so).

And no one is advocating penalties based on appearances. Certain animals are demonstrably more dangerous than others. Do we really need to get into a debate about whether or not a pet chimpanzee is more likely than a pet hamster to rip off someone's nose, lips and eyelids? The same is true for breeds of dogs. All the "But it's the owner, not the breed!" protests in the world won't change the reality that bad owner + bichon frise results in a lot fewer dead people each year than bad owner + pit bull.

Certain types of animals should not be permitted as pets (happily, this is the case). And certain types of animals which are permitted as pets should not be allowed in residential areas. If some fool out in the country just has to have a 'pet' cobra, so be it. But not in the local residential subdivision. And I'm not all that happy about it in the country, either. Why do people insist on caging up undomesticated animals and pretending they're pets? Sorry, woman in Florida - that alligator is not your 'pet'. Sorry, guy in Phoenix with 38 tattoos - those seven rattlesnakes are not your 'pets'.

If someone genuinely cares about animals then they will let wild animals be wild animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates