Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:27 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
My college age daughter wants a pet and we have struggled to decide if we should or could get one. We understand that it will impact our comings and goings but we also have been trying to figure out if we can afford one. We have so far decided no but my daughter is sad about it. I really want her to be able to own a dog . I know the smaller ones do not eat as much. A dog could also be a form of protection for us since we live alone. There just has to be a way . We would love the pet but we are poor.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Dog??

College age daughter?
Quote:
We have so far decided no but my daughter is sad about it. I really want her to be able to own a dog.
??

Honestly, if this is really what you want--for her to be "able to own a dog"--then the best thing you can do is teach her to be responsible with her finances, succeed in school and get a good job so she can comfortably afford her own dog one day.

I mean this with kindness and good intentions: If you are still financially responsible for college age child, and a $300 pet adoption fee is too expensive, then you should not take on the expense of a dog.

A dog is a very expensive pet. Why does it have to be a dog? Could you be happy with a cat? Or another fuzzy pet? I could guinea pig? Rabbit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
It depends on the circumstances. If you allow the animals to be adopted for free all the time you run the risk of people "adopting" dogs for abuse (think dog fighting). However, if a dog (or other animal) was at the shelter for an exceptionally long time many shelters may work with you on a fee (or give the dog for free). That being said, my dog was an exception to most available dogs, she was a puppy mill breeder who had to be rehabilitated to not be scared of humans. She still is jumpy despite being 5 years old (a common problem with dogs who weren't properly socialized), but my husband and I are willing to put in the time for her to adjust. For many people, she isn't a desirable animal since she won't (at first) run up to you and give out kisses like a typical dog.

As for the costs, when it comes down to it, $300 isn't a horrible fee for a pet at all (considering a dog from a reputable breeder will be in the thousands). Also consider shelter dogs will be neutered/spayed and have their shots up-to-date when you get them. This will save you money in comparison to a dog you might get "for free" if your friend's dog has an accidental litter. Dogs simply are an extra expense and there is no work-around this. Aside from vet fees you will have to feed it, possibly board it, buy leashes, toys and poop bags. This will add up fast.
I spent an unGodly amount on toys and I needed more for a puppy. I was told water bottles, cardboard boxes, etc.

Trash? Yup, certain kinds of trash lol.

She LOVED those water bottles and she LOVED to tear up the cardboard boxes.

It doesn't have to be terribly expensive.

The other day I got some plushy rabbits for 30 cents post Easter sale. Stuffed animals can be obtained at Goodwill too.

There are ways to lower the costs but IDK about this issue overall. I mean my kitty needed a $3K MRI and she got it (pet insurance) but no I don't think a pet owner is bad if they have to euthanize instead.

Same for surgery that is expensive.

I saw too many people in the animal ER euthanizing puppies with parvo and it was sad but I understood. My parvo puppy was 3 grand. One lady didn't even have the $500 cheap method to hopefully help parvo and she was bawling in the lobby. At least she paid for peaceful painless PTS.

I do think if one doesn't have ANY money for Vet bills that are bound to come up the animal is better off PTS in the shelter.

Suffering through a wound or infection like a wild animal isn't right. (I don't even like it for wild animals!)

Though, I knew a guy with -0- money. All he could do was feed the stray dog he found and take him to the shelter to PTS when it was time. At least he gave the dog happiness in his last year on earth, so I guess at the end it all depends on circumstances.

I took my Mom's cat away from my brother after she died because he wouldn't let me take him to the Vet for an ear infection - that is wrong. To let the animal suffer. Treat it or put it to sleep or find a rescue but no it isn't right to just watch it suffer and do nothing. He didn't want to spend the money and was unaware or unconcerned about the path of an untreated ear infection. Or thought I was 'overreacting' to classic signs of one, IDK.

But when kitty scratches ear and shakes head kitty has an owie in the ear(s)!

Old 04-13-2016, 04:27 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,555,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Dog??

College age daughter?
??

Honestly, if this is really what you want--for her to be "able to own a dog"--then the best thing you can do is teach her to be responsible with her finances, succeed in school and get a good job so she can comfortably afford her own dog one day.

I mean this with kindness and good intentions: If you are still financially responsible for college age child, and a $300 pet adoption fee is too expensive, then you should not take on the expense of a dog.

A dog is a very expensive pet. Why does it have to be a dog? Could you be happy with a cat? Or another fuzzy pet? I could guinea pig? Rabbit?
I took care of a cat on my own in college. We went to the little low-cost mobile Vets for her needs. Once she needed surgery and it was $300 but I but it on a cc.

Old 04-13-2016, 05:12 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ugh. Not this again. Yes, they do. But dog fanciers don't choose the breed that they love. They love the breed they love, and they can't just choose another based purely on financial considerations. Your reasoning is the same as, "Because having kids is expensive, I won't have any." A person can't choose not to have kids just on finances. Having kids is instinctual. And having a large yard is handy, but not necessary. They actually need less exercise than much smaller breeds like Weimeraners, Border Collies, and many terriers. As for medical care, the only thing which is more expensive is the Sentinel because they need the amount for the larger weight. All the shots and testing cost the same no matter what a dog's weight is.

And before you go into the argument that they live very short lives compared to other breeds, thus having them isn't worth it, once again, I would never choose another breed. I have had them 25 years. And there is no guarantee any pet (or human) you have in your life will live one month, one year, or ten years. Everything eventually dies. And Danes' lives have increased considerably as the knowledge of the breed and technology has improved.

I did not ask about your pets to criticize your choice of breed you got me wrong, I asked because the great dane was one of the breeds my daughter actually likes. They are beautiful and gentle ( and huge) but I had considered the larger dogs too expensive because they would eat too much. I had assumed if we could afford a dog at all it would have to be a small or medium sized dog only. That is why I asked .

Last edited by vanguardisle; 04-13-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 05:18 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Your reasoning is the same as, "Because having kids is expensive, I won't have any." A person can't choose not to have kids just on finances. Having kids is instinctual.
A person can't? That's exactly what many people do. Though ironically it's usually just the more well off and educated folks who actually plan whether to have/expand a family while the poor breed like rabbits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmRCixQrx8

Old 04-13-2016, 05:21 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,547,464 times
Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Dog??

College age daughter?
??

We have had rabbits and gerbils in the past years ago and we loved them but honestly they were not very friendly not like a dog or a cat , and obviously not the best watch dog.

The closest thing to a pet cat we currently have is a stray tom cat that comes to visit us a couple of times a week to get some food, he comes into our yard and stays to hang out with us for about 20 minutes to a half hour and then moves on .

Old 04-13-2016, 06:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.

Dog??

College age daughter?
??

I have mixed feelings but if you can afford basic Vet care - then I would say, yes.

IF you can afford humane euthanasia in the event your dog gets sick and you can't afford to pay for surgery - yes. There are people out there who would let their dog suffer because they can't afford to pay for basic vet care and they can't afford the cost of euthasania.

Don't look for a tiny dog - then tend to have tons of expensive health problems.

But dogs are pricey - food, heartworm/worm medication monthly, etc. My yorkie has had one bladder surgery already and we've been to the emergency vets twice. That was $500 just to walk in the door.

Dogs need walked (leashes, etc) and they are a good bit of work but great companions too.

Think it through and best of luck whatever you decide.

Old 04-13-2016, 06:59 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,236,388 times
Even with a cat some high costs can come out of nowhere. Our last one was in bad shape despite doing well at her annual checkup just a couple months before hand. And it happened rather suddenly...on a Saturday night. So off to the emergency vet. Diagnosed with severe kidney failure and it was a choice of a long and expensive treatment followed by regular IV administration at home and poor quality of life or euthanasia. We ended up going with euthanasia, but the bill for the night was still $400.

Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,400 times
Quote:
We have had rabbits and gerbils in the past years ago and we loved them but honestly they were not very friendly not like a dog or a cat , and obviously not the best watch dog.

The closest thing to a pet cat we currently have is a stray tom cat that comes to visit us a couple of times a week to get some food, he comes into our yard and stays to hang out with us for about 20 minutes to a half hour and then moves on .
The more I read, I fear you and your daughter are setting yourselves up for disappointment. There is no guarantee any pet--even a dog or cat--is going to have the personality and friendliness you desire. And please be so careful with wanting a "watch dog." I looked into this a few years ago, and learned a "watch dog" is very specific thing requiring training, etc. If you're just hoping your pup will bark to alert you someone is at your door...that may or may not happen. Depends on the dog, and his mood, etc. My childhood dog only got agitated if petite people were at our door. 6 foot 4, 275 lb stranger? No biggie. Maybe just a friendly, "Hey guys! Buddies are here!" Basically, having a "watch dog" is an "expectations" thing--you need to know if your expectations are realistic. Otherwise, make sure you're ok with your dog being just another set of eyes and ears around the house,

Old 04-13-2016, 11:47 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times
Quote:
Many healthy but unwanted dogs and cats are euthanized every year because nobody wants to adopt them. Many no kill shelters say they do not have room to save them because they have trouble finding homes for the ones they already have and yet they often charge expensive adoption fees that many cannot afford .

Animals offer unconditional love that studies have shown benefit people and make their lives better, and yet many will claim that those who are poor should not own a pet because they cannot afford to care for them properly. Does that mean the poor should do without a loving pet that may benefit their lives, and a dog or cat who would otherwise be euthanized that could have gone to a loving home would be better off dead rather then being owned by a poor person?

And where do you draw the line in deciding who is rich enough to own a pet? Medical technology for pets today can be very expensive. They now have mri and ct scans for pets, surgeries of all kinds and even cancer treatments. Modern medicine can do almost anything for a pet that they can do for a human. When a dog or cat has a health problem how much is an owner expected to be able to afford to pay for their medical care to be considered a good pet owner?

With so many unwanted animals in this world is it really fair to deny poor people the right to own a pet?

Where do you draw the line? At the Constitution.

Let the statists enjoy their bobsled ride down the slippery slope. You don't have to ride along with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates