Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times

Advertisements

Are you talking to a woman at a bar? Fine.
Are you talking to a prospective employer? Not as fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
It's how you say it.

"You look nice today!" = Good

"Yo, beotch look hot!" = Bad

Old 05-18-2016, 11:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Too many will be offended about 'whatever' and make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Here's a thought:

Since our govt wants to rule our lives, maybe they can send us scripts so we will what to say, and what not to say.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:59 AM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Ha ha. I like the gay men remarks.
I come from a different culture. I say what I think. I still say too much, but I do.
I told many women they are beautiful. Or, have a great smile. Or, are in great shape. Not a single time it was unwelcome or met with some aggressiveness. But the way I say it I make it clearly appear as a fact statement, not a flirt.
I had gay men tell me I am in great shape, or handsome. I take it as fact statement too, as I know I am in very good shape for 61. They also can sense that I am on the south pole side of the north gay one, so we both know it's fact statement.
Otherwise, never forget that 90% of human problems are in their mind. That said, you can say the most innocent thing in the world in the most respectful and professional or polite manner in the best suited situation - and person will get offended.
Being offended is one's decision and choice. None you can do about this.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:03 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
or...

on a date with a girl - "you look really pretty tonight" = GOOD

random girl on the sidewalk - "you look pretty" = not good... IMO her looks are not for you to comment on

i think the absolute worst is when i'm not smiling and a stranger will randomly say "you're too pretty not to smile"... how about you mind your own business.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:03 PM

885 posts, read 1,167,084 times
There's nothing wrong with saying it. I would also tell a "pretty" boy that he was a handsome young man. It's just that children, or even adults - in my opinion- should not think that "looks" is the most important thing in life.

I would also maybe phrase it a little differently to an older teen or adult woman. If they don't know you they may think that you're coming on to them or worse. Most people do like compliments, sometimes it's just the wording that offends.

Old 05-18-2016, 12:31 PM

807 posts, read 1,353,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
or...

on a date with a girl - "you look really pretty tonight" = GOOD

random girl on the sidewalk - "you look pretty" = not good... IMO her looks are not for you to comment on

i think the absolute worst is when i'm not smiling and a stranger will randomly say "you're too pretty not to smile"... how about you mind your own business.
Really? You're offended by that? You warrant the statement "beautiful people have no personality".

Old 05-18-2016, 12:36 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What's wrong with saying that a girl is pretty?

I've seen girls of all ages (baby to adult) that were pretty
But I get the sense that in our society is almost a crime for a man to say that a girl is pretty

To clarify, when I say pretty, for me usually means that she has a pretty smile.
so females of all ages are "girls" yet males are men? And no, women of any age do not exist for you to give your opinion of their looks.

There are times where, based on an existing relationship, it's appropriate for you to comment on someone's looks or appearance. If you have to ask about it, then whatever situation you are thinking about it not one of those times.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:17 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Really? You're offended by that? You warrant the statement "beautiful people have no personality".
yes, i do not exist for men to comment on lol.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:26 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
yes, i do not exist for men to comment on lol.
Nor is your existence reason for me to refrain from comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates