Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 09:26 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
So which weapon do you want banned? Your first paragraph regarding "similar black rifle" indicates the general problem when talking about banning "assault style" weapons - ignorance. I very much doubt you know much about target shooting at all.

[
I think I would be happy to leave it up to the authorities as to which to ban. And no need to attempt to be condescending simply because I used the term "black rifle". I used the term on purpose, and in quotes, as I know that would be more easily understood here. I am well aware of the differences and would bet that I have held and shot a greater variety of guns than you have ever come close to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 09:47 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
"I am well aware of the differences and would bet that I have held and shot a greater variety of guns than you have ever come close to."

It is quite possible you would lose that bet. In fact, IMO, it is the height of foolishness to even make such a statement to somebody whose background you do not know. Even with my background of military service, and "familiarization fire" of assorted weapons I would not make such a silly boast. After all, I have only fired 3 or 4 different full-auto machine guns, a half a dozen past and present "service rifles" (primary military weapons, bolt action and semi-auto), several different types and styles and calibers of pistols, semi-auto pump action and break open shotguns and over/under shotgun/rifles, a few foreign military weapons (SKS, AK-47, Mauser), and several different "air rifles".
Not to mention various civilian-grade or style hunting rifles; lever action, bolt action, and semi-automatic, in calibers ranging from .22LR to .45-70. Moderator cut: Address the position, not the poster

Last edited by Jeo123; 06-16-2016 at 01:57 PM..

Old 06-16-2016, 10:13 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Not a Benelli.
I stand corrected then. I guess the street sweeper was not made by them. My point was that the poster was picking out guns he deemed ok as they could not match the firepower of the scary ar15.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:25 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
The answer, all of them. Along with all pistols since they share the rapid reloading capability. And if bad guys trained like trick shooters with a revolvers speed loaders then revolvers with break open cylinders will join the list leaving single action cowboy guns where you can load one shell at a time as I heard LAPD Chief Charlie Beck say on a TV interview yesterday.

Yes you can feed shells into a shotgun and continue to fight but a murder but as shown by a pepper spray armed hero who took him down there is a better chance to stop the mass killer when the slower reload is demanded by the technology available to killers.
So for the millions of people that own firearms for home protection you would have them use pepper spray? So late at night if three or four intruders break into my home my wife gets to go out and get a little can spray to fend off intruders maybe stronger more aggressive than her and quite possibly each with a gun. Or she can take out her legal single round gun which has one round against three or four people?
All you're doing is putting avantage to criminals .

Old 06-16-2016, 10:29 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
The problem here is, no one is proposing a real compromise, e.g. agree to the ban of military style rifles (as stupid as it is) but force a federal conceal carry reciprocity law so that someone with a valid Michigan concealed carry license could legally carry in DC or Chicago (anyone willing to carry illegally already does it anyway).

They want to take, take, take, but never give.
Oh, so you don't believe in states rights after all.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you hear people say "nobody should be able to buy a semi-automatic weapon", that is talking about banning guns.

I'll bite - what IS sensible gun regulation.
No it isn't. The second amendment doesn't say that you can own any type of gun ever made.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The 2nd amendment isn't about hunting or sport.
No, but it's a major point often brought up by the NRA.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
This shows how uninformed you are, not seeing the big picture, and not understanding or knowing facts before you spout off your solutions. At least learn about the subject before you argue about it.
It's common sense to have all the facts of a situation before you solve it.
You saying pistols are ok, yet you can get 30 round mags for pistols that will shoot just as quickly as that rifle, so now what? A pistol can shoot 24 shots in 9 seconds also. Not only that because of its smaller size it's conceivable to carry more than one pistol with 30 round mags already loaded in. Not only that a pistol is easy to conceal.
You say shotguns are okay, but are you aware of how fast a shotgun can be fired? Ever hear of a Benelli street sweeper?
BTW common people don't own guns of war. The ar 15 is not a gun of war. It's a semi automatic that shoot just as fast as some hunting rifles and shotguns. If the AR15 was fully automatic you might then consider it a military gun of war.
No, you're the one that needs to read posts.

I said "regular" pistols. In another post I talked specifically about high round guns as being part of the problem.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:35 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,300,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh, so you don't believe in states rights after all.
What states have rights that override the US Constitution ?

Old 06-16-2016, 10:36 AM

10,730 posts, read 5,664,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No it isn't. The second amendment doesn't say that you can own any type of gun ever made.
What kinds of guns aren't covered by the 2nd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates