Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:28 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
There is plenty of food for all of mankind, as is evidenced by the vast amount of waste in many countries, including our own. How do you lose by ensuring the weakest links (ie children) don't go hungry?

There is not plenty of food for all mankind, as is evidenced by the vast amount of people dying of starvation every day. Now sure, if you added up all the food in the world right now, and all the people in the world right now, then theoretically the numbers might say there is "enough". But logistics matters. There are more people and less food in areas of the world where it is too difficult or expensive to import food. That's a food scarcity. When we import food, then their population grows, in a location where food is scarce. Which means that there are even more people in that location now suffering. We're not doing them any good. We also have too many people congregating in cities that cannot feed them or provide them with jobs. Cities don't make food. As long as we keep bringing in free food to people in cities who cannot get it themselves because there are no jobs left there, we are just making the problem worse. Adding fuel to the fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 08:29 AM

366 posts, read 493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The OP is referencing a program that provides meals to children who depend on free/reduced lunches during the school year and who are at risk during the summer months. Regardless of one's thoughts about the reasons for that, these are children.
Right, children who are growing up thinking that they are entitled to have other people feed them. This reinforces the notion that if you are a loser you have a right to have the Government take the earnings of others and give it to you.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Right, children who are growing up thinking that they are entitled to have other people feed them. This reinforces the notion that if you are a loser you have a right to have the Government take the earnings of others and give it to you.
How dare children!

So what is your answer to those kids who have the bad luck to have parents who are unable to feed them? Don't talk about parents who "should have" made different choices, that horse is out of the barn.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
There is not plenty of food for all mankind, as is evidenced by the vast amount of people dying of starvation every day. Now sure, if you added up all the food in the world right now, and all the people in the world right now, then theoretically the numbers might say there is "enough". But logistics matters. There are more people and less food in areas of the world where it is too difficult or expensive to import food. That's a food scarcity. When we import food, then their population grows, in a location where food is scarce. Which means that there are even more people in that location now suffering. We're not doing them any good. We also have too many people congregating in cities that cannot feed them or provide them with jobs. Cities don't make food. As long as we keep bringing in free food to people in cities who cannot get it themselves because there are no jobs left there, we are just making the problem worse. Adding fuel to the fire.
So again, what's your answer to the children who are already here, who didn't choose their parents, who live in a country that is perfectly able to lend a small hand?

Old 06-23-2016, 08:39 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
With a Democrat administration, welfare will only increase. Democrats buy votes with welfare.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:52 AM

141 posts, read 171,586 times
Corporate welfare is just as big of a problem.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:57 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So again, what's your answer to the children who are already here, who didn't choose their parents, who live in a country that is perfectly able to lend a small hand?

I already said. I will always choose to feed the children. Because I am a mom, and my heart won't let me make any other choice. But my brain knows that I am damaging the country (and the human species) when I do that. I don't know how to rectify that, really.

If I had to guess, the way things are set up right now the welfare class in this country is going to grow until such time as we can't support it any more, because the resources of those not on welfare are depleted. Which if you analyze trends in federal spending and GDP and so forth, will probably occur around 2025-2035. That's my guess anyway. At which point we'll probably experience another Great Depression where a lot of people *will* starve and die, and reset our population to a more manageable level. We might get a plague thrown in there as well. People think this won't happen to us, not in modern times, those are just things in history books. But history will find you, no matter how invincible you think you are.

My dad taught me this: "if you can't fight the coming disaster, then just try to focus on surviving it and coming out on top afterwards". The US, the wonderful superpower that it is, that I know and love, has peaked, and is on a downward path I think. I could use all my effort to try and fight it, but I don't have it in me to let kids starve. So instead I'll just try and position myself and my family to survive. It's very possible the US could climb back up after hitting bottom, we did last time. But I give even odds to China as well. Any country that has the hutzpah to successfully implement a one-child policy to deliberately control their population is going to be a very strong contender.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
Because apparently there's a concern that some children are not getting adequate nutrition without a program like this.

Is there are reason why you feel so strongly that school-age children should be going hungry?
In my kids public school there were children who mocked them for wearing cheap no-brand shoes, then had a free school provided lunch. Even at 8 my son was old enough to see the hypocrisy.

For every child who may go hungry if not for the school provided lunch, there are twenty who quite literally milk the system.

If you're wearing $300 worth of brand name attire, you should be denied a free lunch. But it doesn't work that way.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:21 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Procreation is a voluntary activity. If parents cannot provide for their children the children should be taken from the parents and put into state work/education camps where the children are provided a bland but adequate diet, provided a minimal education and then in labor camps in their spare time in agricultural fields. Those that show aptitude should be allowed a more advanced education in the trades and those with genuine scholastic aptitude should be provided with advanced educational opportunities. In this way, the children would be filtered, those with no motivation and low intelligence or ability would spend their life inthe work camps and should be sterilized. Those who show initiative and ability promoted into the trades and those with the intellect and motivation would have advanced educational opportunities.

The parents themselves should be sterilized and likewise put into work camps, only away from their children or given the option of assisted suicide.

There you go, problem solved. We no longer need illegal aliens and third world immigrants for menial labor in the fields, and we would finally have a system that properly motivates the poor to improve their condition by applying themselves. As I said, if they don't like it, state sponsored suicide is an option.
You would never say something like this at your workplace or at your church. Why say it on the Internet? It is very possible that the explosion of violence in this country is due to people who lose it finally after years online giving in to their worst selves. It's very corrosive to the soul. You should be very concerned about the way you feel. It isn't healthy.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I already said. I will always choose to feed the children. Because I am a mom, and my heart won't let me make any other choice. But my brain knows that I am damaging the country (and the human species) when I do that. I don't know how to rectify that, really.

If I had to guess, the way things are set up right now the welfare class in this country is going to grow until such time as we can't support it any more, because the resources of those not on welfare are depleted. Which if you analyze trends in federal spending and GDP and so forth, will probably occur around 2025-2035. That's my guess anyway. At which point we'll probably experience another Great Depression where a lot of people *will* starve and die, and reset our population to a more manageable level. We might get a plague thrown in there as well. People think this won't happen to us, not in modern times, those are just things in history books. But history will find you, no matter how invincible you think you are.

My dad taught me this: "if you can't fight the coming disaster, then just try to focus on surviving it and coming out on top afterwards". The US, the wonderful superpower that it is, that I know and love, has peaked, and is on a downward path I think. I could use all my effort to try and fight it, but I don't have it in me to let kids starve. So instead I'll just try and position myself and my family to survive. It's very possible the US could climb back up after hitting bottom, we did last time. But I give even odds to China as well. Any country that has the hutzpah to successfully implement a one-child policy to deliberately control their population is going to be a very strong contender.
So in theory, in your "survival of the fittest only" world, any and all charitable efforts should be discouraged, regardless of who funds them right? Guessing we should get rid of other "detrimental" programs like Special Education, and why in the heck are we looking for a cancer cure? Just let those weak links die already. //sarcasm

Sorry, that is not the world I want, nor is it in step with the history of our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates