Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 07:44 AM

13,362 posts, read 7,385,078 times

Advertisements

I know people who say having kids was the worst mistake they ever did. Their kids grew up to be a disaster 30 something still living at home with their parents with kids of their own. People in their 70's raising their grand kids and their kids at home smoking pot no job. They only cherish the time when their kids were young. I know someone who is a live in nurse for an old man who's kids abandoned him they also stole his credit ruined him when he got dementia used his SSN to get credit cards and ran them up until he was broke and state now takes care of him. Once he was broke they haven't seen him in years. Kids aren't always perfect if you think having kids means someone will take care of you think again. A co-worker of mine told me how he has no intention of taking care of his parents he hardly calls them he said hasn't seen his mother or father in 5 years. They live on the east coast he lives on the west coast. He said he moved out at 19 and never looked back he only needed them until he was on his own. I asked if was treated badly by his parents he said no he just basically selfish he said doesn't want to live his life taking care of old people. If someone hates kids I can see the reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 08:06 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,890,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
ETA other dogs and even mom dogs find "cute" puppy noises VERY irritating. A momma dog who is still dealing with her litter looks like the most miserable dog on the planet. And other dogs in the house often want to kill the puppies when they cry.
This almost doesn't make sense. If a baby is this unpleasant to be around, wouldn't this make adults of the species less compelled to care for it? Which worsens the odds of its survival, which goes against the very basis of evolutionary biology.

Heck, babies being generally unpleasant is enough to drive some people into the childfree movement. I'm aware that it's just human using the higher-level thinking to override base instincts, but I do wonder if nature made a mistake along the line somewhere. If babies, human or otherwise, were more pleasant to be around, childfree people would be more willing to have kids. Then again, with Earth having already 7 billion humans, perhaps the childfree movement isn't such a bad thing.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:59 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,907,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
This almost doesn't make sense. If a baby is this unpleasant to be around, wouldn't this make adults of the species less compelled to care for it? Which worsens the odds of its survival, which goes against the very basis of evolutionary biology.

Heck, babies being generally unpleasant is enough to drive some people into the childfree movement. I'm aware that it's just human using the higher-level thinking to override base instincts, but I do wonder if nature made a mistake along the line somewhere. If babies, human or otherwise, were more pleasant to be around, childfree people would be more willing to have kids. Then again, with Earth having already 7 billion humans, perhaps the childfree movement isn't such a bad thing.
Babies...including animal babies are exhausting, take all your time and attention, suck you dry, poop all over, puke, pee and you have to clean it all up. However, there is a biological drive to have them and care for them. Its hard to explain to someone who doesn't connect with children. If you don't get mushy or happy when you see a baby, then you don't get it. But it happens at a biological level.

Momma dogs are much happier when her puppies are on puppy food and can play. Then eventually, they don't want them around at all. Its interesting to see (I didn't breed dogs, I fostered dogs).

Old 07-10-2016, 09:34 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,890,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Babies...including animal babies are exhausting, take all your time and attention, suck you dry, poop all over, puke, pee and you have to clean it all up. However, there is a biological drive to have them and care for them. Its hard to explain to someone who doesn't connect with children. If you don't get mushy or happy when you see a baby, then you don't get it. But it happens at a biological level.
I guess I don't have that biological drive ; oh well. Because babies and even kids generally make me uncomfortable, let alone not making me mushy. I still give a compliment like "cute baby", or say hello to an older child directly, out of respect and goodwill to everyone, but that's about it. High-schoolers are generally fine though. I'm at the age where they're likely to see me as an "old guy" comparable to their parents, rather than their equal, so most aren't too interested in interacting with me outside of basic manners.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:08 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,346,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
If a person says they don't like a person of a certain race, he/she is a racist.
You don't like gays, you're a homophobe.
You don't like men or women, you're sexist.

But it's okay for someone to say they dislike or even hate children. I've never understood this.
What? Those are all horrible comparisons

Old 07-10-2016, 11:02 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,637,001 times
I don't dislike children, but I don't get too excited over them either. I'm sure I would adore my own if I had them, but I have little interest in other people's children. I don't go around saying that I don't like kids, but I wouldn't take offense to anyone else saying it because I would simply take it to mean that they don't want kids of their own- not that they hate all children. Saying that you dislike a race of people is different.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:52 AM

274 posts, read 253,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
It is more acceptable to say you don't like children than to say......ready???

"I don't like dogs"

I personally, do not like dogs. I dare not say it to anyone in person because you apparently are a terrible person if you do not like dogs. So, I pretend to like them so I am not looked at as the worst person in the universe.
I have the same problem. I say I don't like dogs, and the weird look I get from the other person requires me to add, "I do not wish to harm dogs, or eat them. I just prefer not to be around them".

I didn't really "like kids" until we had one of our own. I understand kids a little better now, and now that our son is nearly 18, sometimes I enjoy interacting with a toddler niece or nephew At least when I've had enough I can go home.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:42 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,767,901 times
Children lack political and economic power. They dont have a lobby in congress. You can say whatever you want about the powerless......

Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,621,649 times
I know. It's because children are minors but not a minority? You can hate kids all you want. You can't discriminate against them. Personally I think kids are pretty cool. They ask crazy questions and sometimes they have great stories like
I saw uncle Mike in his car at the park and a lady was on his lap but she wasn't aunt June. Why was that lady on uncle Mikes lap bouncing.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:13 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,934,386 times
There is a difference between absolutely despising children and not wanting any of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates